• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/29 Winter Storm OBS/Disco Part II

earthlight

Made the same mistake yesterday thinking we could salvage snow with a storm going that far southeast of us. The initial primary low screwed us, particularly below 850mb as those lower levels scorched us. The coastal low was too slow to develop and too far east, and here we are. Hard to expect much different in a fast progressive pattern that has almost no real cold air. Congrats Boston.

Isn't the storm just starting for Long Island?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this one's a wrap. Is it spring time yet, maybe we'll have a snow chance then. It seems we get more snow in early and late season storms than we do in winter.

If we had a storm to track every three days the rest of winter – maybe even a couple inches to show for each one – I'd be pretty content. I got about 2" OTG in the no-man's land of the mid-Hudson Valley and with models looking pretty barren for a while, I'm just glad to have some echoes on the radar screen and precipitation falling from the clouds!

Isn't the storm just starting for Long Island?

Eastern LI might get a good thump as it exits but it seems too far east for the western 1/3 of Suffolk and Nassau. With these there can be dramatic differences from one end to the other in terms of final accums. If it flips soon enough places like Riverhead can end up with several inches.

Model-ology 1, weenie-ology 0 with temps and precip type for this storm southeast of I 95.. Too much ignorin of the warm models yesterday

Signs were there.. i was scared of this. :/ Oh well shouldn't be surprised, wasn't I-95 ideal setup. On to the next one...

Like a golf swing. Just when u thnk u got it u shank it and break the clubhouse window

Yeah...partially a bust for those who went colder as I did.

BUT there was also much less QPF than predicted. People who went with a colder forecast like me thought NYC was going to get .4" QPF like most of the models showed, not .16" which is what actually fell at Central Park. Obviously you need some heavier banding to get snow to stick in urban areas. Even the 0z ECM had us picking up like .3"+ QPF, and that's not going to verify.

Archived