joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 26 - 27 Winter Storm III

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So very little and conflicting information for southern Ontario. About had enough of this storm -- day 3 of checking for updates and absolutely zero changes/new info. Even the local weather crew on twitter is oddly silent. EC still keeping all of us at 2-4" with 10" in Niagara Region.

TWN tweeted "double digit snow totals" along the 401 corridor, that could mean 11cm...or 50cm. How vague.

About 10cm, give or take a cm or two, looks good for you.

So very little and conflicting information for southern Ontario. About had enough of this storm -- day 3 of checking for updates and absolutely zero changes/new info. Even the local weather crew on twitter is oddly silent. EC still keeping all of us at 2-4" with 10" in Niagara Region.

TWN tweeted "double digit snow totals" along the 401 corridor, that could mean 11cm...or 50cm. How vague.

Maybe people are on Christmas vacation? ;-)

Yeah, Brett Anderson of accuweather thinks Newmarket might get 15cm (6") meaning I can only assume that in his mind the GTA is in the 6-8" range. EC is eitehr going to score an amazing coup here or they are asleep at the switch. At the very least, there should be a winter storm watch for Toronto given models do indicate the possibility of 6" and the winds could make driving treacherous even if it's less than that.

Maybe people are on Christmas vacation? ;-)

Yeah, Brett Anderson of accuweather thinks Newmarket might get 15cm (6") meaning I can only assume that in his mind the GTA is in the 6-8" range. EC is eitehr going to score an amazing coup here or they are asleep at the switch. At the very least, there should be a winter storm watch for Toronto given models do indicate the possibility of 6" and the winds could make driving treacherous even if it's less than that.

A possibility is not the evidentiary threshold though. They have to think winter storm conditions are probable (>50%). They obviously do not and I can see why. But I would have at least bumped snowfall amounts to about 10cm. 5-10 range is kind of stupid at this point.

A possibility is not the evidentiary threshold though. They have to think winter storm conditions are probable (>50%). They obviously do not and I can see why. But I would have at least bumped snowfall amounts to about 10cm. 5-10 range is kind of stupid at this point.

the opposite is happening here...they are saying ~20cms, but I'm guessing no more than 10cm for Ottawa.

IND obs from earlier:

KIND 261234Z 03017G32KT 1/4SM R05L/2600V6000FT +SN FZFG BKN008 OVC012 M01/M02 A2973

KIND 261328Z 03021G29KT 1/8SM R05L/1400V1800FT +SN BLSN FZFG VV004 M02/M02 A2971

KIND 261446Z 02025G32KT 1/4SM R05L/1400V2400FT SN BLSN FZFG VV004 M02/M02 A2970

KIND 261546Z 02021G29KT 1/2SM R05L/2800V4500FT SN BLSN FZFG OVC010 M02/M02 A2971

Not what you'd call slam dunk blizzard criteria but they may have made it. The visibility came up a little on the 1546z ob but technically it was 3 hours and 12 minutes since the first one.

It might just be because Toledo is kind of on the periphery of all the area radars, but it seems like they've been in a screw hole the last several hours.

I have 2" and counting south of Toledo in Bowling Green... here's a local radar that's usually pretty reliable. 15-20 miles west of I-75's getting screwed right now... thankfully I'm still getting moderate/heavy snow

I have noticed sometimes, at the end of the storm, the final measurements are often close to what EC "predicts" prior to the storm. Has me suspicious. They might do that to maintain their "reputation" but either way the pressure will fall on them in the end. I think atleast a Watch should be issued, if the 18z RGEM is suddenly different, i can bet you a million dollars it will change, lol.

I have noticed sometimes, at the end of the storm, the final measurements are often close to what EC "predicts" prior to the storm. Has me suspicious. They might do that to maintain their "reputation" but either way the pressure will fall on them in the end. I think atleast a Watch should be issued, if the 18z RGEM is suddenly different, i can bet you a million dollars it will change, lol.

It's too late for a watch at this point. It's warning or nothing. And it does not look like 15 or more cm in 12 hours or less is imminent or occurring. It's a crap shoot possibility at this point. They don't issue warnings for those.

Only way we get a headline out of this is after 2-3 hours of +SN it becomes apparent that the criteria will be met. Dont expect a WSW anytime before that.

Archived