joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 26 - 27 Winter Storm III

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to go to doctors this morning (sinus inf, uggh). Driving in had that classic "a snowstorm is coming" look. The sky so dark that the streetlights still on when they shouldnt be, the wind whipping, and flurries starting to fall.

A dusting so far, and if this is a trend for the rest of the day...two things will be apparent here. 1) It is going to be very hard to measure, 2) its definitely going to be a better than 10-1 ratio. Usually wind cuts into ratios, but at the same time, this is very dry snow, so perhaps those two will cross each other out and we will still end up with at least 12 or 13-1 ratios.

12z QPF for DTW:

GFS: 0.38"

NAM: 0.49"

Boy am I glad I returned from the Calumet region to Elkhart at midnight last night. Good dry roads. Now they are a mess in the local area with accident reports starting to come in. I see a major personal injury accident with significant back up on I-65 southbound lanes near exit 178 north of LAF. Very fine grains here with stiff ne wind increasing and a heavier band approaching from the east. 3-5 inches expected by tonight IMBY. Congrats to those farther south who get a foot.

Just ventured out for lunch. Enjoyed some time in the snow save for the soaked pants courtesy of INDOT. I'd say we're creeping over 2 inches here on the west side. Might just make it to 3 before things end soon... radar is starting to look sad out this way.

Just ventured out for lunch. Enjoyed some time in the snow save for the soaked pants courtesy of INDOT. I'd say we're creeping over 2 inches here on the west side. Might just make it to 3 before things end soon... radar is starting to look sad out this way.

Should have stayed home from work. 3" or a touch over here on the east side, though measuring is less than ideal.

LAF effect setting up shop. :lol:

Should have stayed home from work. 3" or a touch over here on the east side, though measuring is less than ideal.

LAF effect setting up shop. :lol:

Yeah, probably... didn't really want to waste a vacation day sitting around at home when I can sit around at work :lol:

Yeah, I'm seeing some decent drifts setting up around campus. My 2-3" guess is just that and a wild eyeball guess at that. Road conditions seem to be improving around town.

Archived