Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 26 - 27 Winter Storm III

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lock 'em up. Final call.

LAF: 3-5" (Chad 3.8", Hoosier 4.3", me and blue 4.6")

OKK: 5-7"

IND: 8-10"

MIE: 8-10"

FWA: 4-6"

KFickle: 4-6"

Thinking the same thing. No idea how I'm going to verify with the wind, haha.

I'll say the WL coop reports 2". Tough to keep powder on the snowboard out there.

I HATE doing this....but I will make a guess. 5-7" for DTW. I will say 0.50" qpf at a 12-1 ratio, which would yield 6 inches of snow. Hope Im not a jinx...and if I bust hope its low :) I notice still that the GFS is notably faster than the NAM.

I think that's an honest and good guess. With this setup we literally could get nothing, all the way up to 9 or 10 inches. Honestly, neither would shock me.

Ahhh, the night before the event. There's been so much number crunching, model watching, and analyzing over the last 5+ days. It's only a matter of hours for many of you guys before the first flakes begin to fly. Always kind of a weird feeling to see those flakes after pouring over the data for seemingly forever. Just kick back, and enjoy the show guys! Look forward to LOTS of pics/vid this time tomorrow night!! :beer:

I think that's an honest and good guess. With this setup we literally could get nothing, all the way up to 9 or 10 inches. Honestly, neither would shock me.

Nothing would absolutely shock me, not to mention I would be angrier than Ive ever been at the weather. But Id say the odds of getting no snow are like 0.5% at the most lol.

It'll be a tough measure for sure. Might need to take 10 off-board measurements in the yard and average. :lol:

And thats absolutely what you should do. If the wind literally sweeps your board clean, do you report 0? :lol: I dont think so. The reality is...snowboards are perfect for light wind situations, but are more or less useless in wind-driven snowfalls.

What EC's winter storm watch looks like compared to the NWS.

DTX has up to 7" along the border... Cleveland at up to 15" along the Lake Erie shoreline, and Buffalo up to 16", but EC has 2-3" for everywhere but Haldimand County and the Region of Niagara where 4-5", possibly 6", is forecast.

My head..

post-277-0-21716100-1356496835_thumb.png

What EC's winter storm watch looks like compared to the NWS.

DTX has up to 7" along the border... Cleveland at up to 15" along the Lake Erie shoreline, and Buffalo up to 16", but EC has 2-3" for everywhere but Haldimand County and the Region of Niagara where 4-5", possibly 6", is forecast.

My head..

They are going to bust harder than a diamond.

Lock 'em up. Final call.

LAF: 3-5" (Chad 3.8", Hoosier 4.3", me and blue 4.6")

OKK: 5-7"

IND: 8-10"

MIE: 8-10"

FWA: 4-6"

KFickle: 4-6"

lol, pretty specific there.

I'm gonna go with 4-6" for us. I'd go better than standard ratios in this setup but probably less than 15:1 given lack of exceptionally deep DGZ. Even with that amount of snow, would expect drifts of something like 2-3 feet in favored spots.

From a radar perspective, I think this is gonna be a lot like the Jan 2009 event...we watch IND get lit up with heavy banding and it tries to get in here but struggles for any extended period. Maybe we can get into bonus territory if a band sits over us for any extended period.

Nothing would absolutely shock me, not to mention I would be angrier than Ive ever been at the weather. But Id say the odds of getting no snow are like 0.5% at the most lol.

It would be like this one time in like 2003 where we were under a WSW when I went to bed, and were forecasted to get 6-10" of snow. I woke up to drizzle and a few very fat and wet flakes trying to stick to the sloppy ground. Absolutely nothing.

Of course, getting missed to the south is a lot better than getting missed to the north. There is nothing more depressing in Winter weather than rain and 33.

It would be like this one time in like 2003 where we were under a WSW when I went to bed, and were forecasted to get 6-10" of snow. I woke up to drizzle and a few very fat and wet flakes trying to stick to the sloppy ground. Absolutely nothing.

Of course, getting missed to the south is a lot better than getting missed to the north. There is nothing more depressing in Winter weather than rain and 33.

I remember that...but it was a horrendous forecast. They were calling for it to turn to snow even the models didnt show this.

lol, pretty specific there.

I'm gonna go with 4-6" for us. I'd go better than standard ratios in this setup but probably less than 15:1 given lack of exceptionally deep DGZ. Even with that amount of snow, would expect drifts of something like 2-3 feet in favored spots.

From a radar perspective, I think this is gonna be a lot like the Jan 2009 event...we watch IND get lit up with heavy banding and it tries to get in here but struggles for any extended period. Maybe we can get into bonus territory if a band sits over us for any extended period.

Had to add a little local touch. :D

You're usually a little more bullish than me, so no surprise. And Jan 2009 is probably a good "analog" to what we may see. We'll hope for the best.

Wow. Agreement from both NAM and GFS now tonight for a historic blizzard for us here in Columbus, Ohio. Truly amazing, and yet still hard to believe.

I am becoming increasingly worried here in SE Suburbs of Columbus that we may see very little snow at all until the very end. NAM/GFS/ HRRR all push the 0*C 850 mb line through the metro and actually even north of Franklin County for several hours in the morning.

An interesting outlier is the RAP. The RAP brings the warm air at 850 mb overhead from 12Z to 14Z, but then the greatest 700 mb UVV overspreads the area. The entire column is cooled via dynamic cooling and we change over to snow once again. Now, this is definitely possible, and I hope it happens (for my sake) but I am not sure how logical that is with the 45 to 60kt LLJ pumping the warm air into the system from the SE. This will need to be watched very closely, especially if surface temperatures stay below freezing. I am all about the snow, but ice storms are awful. I spent Christmas Eve at a friends house in 2004 due to that storm. I don't want another ice storm ruining my holidays. At least we have a generator now. :sizzle:

post-8696-0-27306800-1356498089_thumb.pn

12Z 850 temp/wind

post-8696-0-21915200-1356498106_thumb.pn

15Z 700 VV

post-8696-0-95208700-1356498115_thumb.pn

15Z 850 temp/wind

Archived