12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 26 - 27 Winter Storm III

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The timing of this storm has been very interesting for those trying to purchase the bread and milk. With the forecast becoming worse today people didn't really stock up. Now tonight the only places that are open are gas stations and they have all sold out of what little bread and milk they carry.

Sorry about my fat finger....agreed. I've said this all day, called our local stores, all closed. Its rare timing down here to have a blizz warning then to be on xmas. No time to. Get supplies for most.

lol

Although, it is being a touch more stingy on the NW side than I would have thought. The ul is phasing better and is further N than the 18z run, so it's a bit confusing.

Yes I am a bit confused by that as well, it would argue more moisture being thrown back over top.

It's kind of funny that folks go for the bread, milk, and eggs before a storm hits - almost as if french toast will be the only food cooked during the storm.

I was just thinking about that. I grew up in the country and only once were we snow bound for more two days. We needed the milk because I have a two year old that requires ovaltine before bed and we were out of milk. Besides I feel like biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

From IND...

ISSUED AT 843 PM EST TUE DEC 25 2012

CURRENT RADAR MOSAIC SHOWS PRECIP APPROACHING THE SOUTHERN

PORTIONS OF CENTRAL INDIANA WITHIN THE NEXT 1 TO 2 HOURS. AFTER

EXAMINING SEVERAL FORECAST SOUNDINGS AND LATEST OBS...THINKING

THAT WINDOW FOR WINTRY MIX HAS DIMINISHED...AND PRECIP SHOULD BE

IN FORM OF SNOW BY THE TIME IT COMMENCES OVER THE SOUTHERN

COUNTIES. CONDITIONS WILL QUICKLY DETERIORATE THROUGH THE COURSE

OF THE OVERNIGHT HOURS WITH PROJECTED START TIME OF 1 TO 3 AM

ACROSS THE INDY METRO. ADJUSTED TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS A TAD.

EXPECT THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL TO BE CONFINED TO THE SOUTHEAST

QUADRANT OF FORECAST AREA WITH UPWARDS OF 10 TO 14 INCHES AS A

TROWAL SETS UP OVER THAT AREA TOMORROW MORNING. ELSEWHERE...8-10

INCHES OVER THE INDY METRO SEEMS REASONABLE...WITH DECREASING

TOTALS IN THE LAFAYETTE AREA. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL IS STILL

EXPECTED TO BE DURING THE WEDNESDAY 7 AM - 1 PM EST TIME FRAME.

SNOW WILL TAPER OFF BY TOMORROW AFTERNOON...BUT STRONG NORTH WINDS

WILL RESULT IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WELL INTO TOMORROW NIGHT.

SUSTAINED SPEEDS WILL RANGE BETWEEN 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO

40 MPH. THIS WILL PUT WIND CHILL VALUES NEAR 10 DEGREES. UPDATED

GRIDS HAVE BEEN SENT.

It does crush you though. :)

Eh, fails in line with my 2-5" call. Was just hoping for another slight nudge northwest, but that likely won't happen.

Yeah, but if it didn't have support from the GFS, it'd be deposited in the garbage.

And there definitely was a northward shift at H5, just didn't translate into more juice to the NW for whatever reason.

A lot of these snowfall forecasts are based on 1-2"+ per hour rates. How realistic is this going to be? I just can't see 10" falling in less than 6 hours.

I'm holding firm on a 9" call for CLE storm total.

Meant to go back to this. Yeah, it's a fairly "short" duration thump for a lot. Makes you definitely wonder.

Interesting NAM...seems like slightly less QPF from the deformation shield, but the trowal eventually extends further west compared to the 18Z run, giving the thumb region more QPF than areas near the OH border, given the trowal hangs on longest there.

Noticed this as well, the models finding ways to give SEMI qpf in many ways.

Interesting NAM...seems like slightly less QPF from the deformation shield, but the trowal eventually extends further west compared to the 18Z run, giving the thumb region more QPF than areas near the OH border, given the trowal hangs on longest there.

I've been pondering that possibility for a while... I think if SEMI is gonna luck out in any way it'll be with an extended period in the trowal that just hangs around. It's been hinted occasionally in the NAM and to some extent the GFS.

Archived