mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
December 26 - 27 Winter Storm III

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the RGEM verifies and we get 4-5", this storm was not a dud. Please make sure a few psychopathic NAM runs don't cloud your assessment.

Oh agree, but news agencies in the city were all downgrading the storm. My Dad told me over Christmas dinner that he's heard on the radio that the storm had been downgraded. People's guard may be down...and Toronto drivers are awful in winter even when they are prepared.

Interesting to see that by 24z there is 20-25dbz returns all the up to Blackrock!

20 dbz returns back into Chicago as well!

I think this storm is going to pull a few good surprises.

Toronto prediction: 25cm (~10") +/- 1cm.

Did somebody say my name? Oh no, don't drag me back to my OCD (Obsessive Convective Disorder)... where I check the radar obsessively.... :P

Thanks for the encouragement, Geos. :)

Now if the NAM and GFS could just agree for once...

Hmm, I don't usually look at longer range models for storms in the observation period but the 0z GFS seemed more reasonable in terms of snowfall amounts in my area, around 6-9 inches. Again, I"ll be following modles like the RUC and Nam and RGEM more though. Any thoughts Canuck?

No reason not to use the GFS in the short term. I bet you verification scores with that model are much better within 84 hours.

GFS maintains the trend of a further north track with the ul compared to the 12z run, but not quite as amped up as the the 18z. I'm bumping my numbers from 2-5" to 3-7" for Toronto.

No reason not to use the GFS in the short term. I bet you verification scores with that model are much better within 84 hours.

GFS maintains the trend of a further north track with the ul compared to the 12z run, but not quite as amped up as the the 18z. I'm bumping my numbers from 2-5" to 3-7" for Toronto.

. True but shorter range models are often better to use in nowcasting moments. But yeah, it was downplay indeed but I wouldn't be overly concerned, atleast the RGEM seemed to have moven up from the "whiff" lol. I agree with your call though, maybe 6z will be different? Has it initialized according to current observations?

. True but shorter range models are often better to use in nowcasting moments. But yeah, it was downplay indeed but I wouldn't be overly concerned, atleast the RGEM seemed to have moven up from the "whiff" lol. I agree with your call though, maybe 6z will be different? Has it initialized according to current observations?

GFS and NAM looked ok. RGEM looked a touch weak at the surface.

Archived