I'm dreaming of a White Christmas!

WeatherFox

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is a problem with 920 temps i think..whatever lol

Here is the NAM sounding for HPN (White Plains) at 36 hours:

post-475-0-48148100-1356294570_thumb.gif

The freezing depth is around 975mb. That should be cold enough for snow given that 850s are around -2C.

It warms after that though, so we might change over. You are also at a bigger risk than I being on Long Island where the boundary layer warming is stronger. For Central Westchester, however, this is a snow sounding.

Definitely begins as a couple hours of snow on the NAM for NYC. Around 9pm-11pm, then looks like it changes to mix/light rain by 06z.

However, surface winds are now depicted NELY throughout the event so I'm wondering if the NAM is a bit too torchy in the lowest 50-100mb. Still have 24-36 hours to sort this out.

NYC at 03z XMAS Eve:

kbqeso.jpg

Definitely begins as a couple hours of snow on the NAM for NYC. Around 9pm-11pm, then looks like it changes to mix/light rain by 06z.

However, surface winds are now depicted NELY throughout the event so I'm wondering if the NAM is a bit too torchy in the lowest 50-100mb. Still have 24-36 hours to sort this out.

NYC at 03z XMAS Eve:

kbqeso.jpg

This is a nail bitter of a forecast. NWS has gone back and forth with some snow versus no snow. Accu-Weather has been forecasting a mix. If we verify, Snow88 will be happy to at least see some snow falling and if we are lucky we could get a quick and brief inch on the grass :).

This is a nail bitter of a forecast. NWS has gone back and forth with some snow versus no snow. Accu-Weather has been forecasting a mix. If we verify, Snow88 will be happy to at least see some snow falling and if we are lucky we could get a quick and brief inch on the grass :).

Yep...tough forecast but I think it is a bigger deal for the majority due to the timing and the idea of "snow on Christmas Eve/Christmas"....otherwise it's the difference between no snow and maybe a coating on grassy surfaces....not any sort of danger to driving or travel which is the usual concern and basis of the NWS and any local weather center's forecasts

Though I will say....I do think that there IS about 90% chance that those in the NW suburbs of NYC have a coating early Christmas morning and still a 70% chance that us within miles of the city do as well :) .....it's not the few inches that we thought possible just a day ago but it's flakes on Christmas nonetheless

It's probably rain or sleet. It's not just warm at the surface, it's warm all the way up to 900mb.

Based on the 0z NAM soundings, I'm seeing snow to rain along the immediate coast. Mostly snow at KNYC. And all snow just N&W. Surface temps near the City rise just above freezing, but there are no really warm layers in the column. Temperatures should rise above freezing during the day almost everywhere after the precipitation stops.

It's probably a good idea to go with half the NAM QPF at this point as a preliminary forecast. So we're looking at roughly a tenth of an inch liquid. If we're lucky some people will officially get a white Christmas!

Based on the 0z NAM soundings, I'm seeing snow to rain along the immediate coast. Mostly snow at KNYC. And all snow just N&W. Surface temps near the City rise just above freezing, but there are no really warm layers in the column. Temperatures should rise above freezing during the day almost everywhere after the precipitation stops.

It's probably a good idea to go with half the NAM QPF at this point as a preliminary forecast. So we're looking at roughly a tenth of an inch liquid. If we're lucky some people will officially get a white Christmas!

Yeah I agree based on the 00z NAM. I also noticed that latest NAM runs have introduced more of a NELY component at the surface rather than the SELY winds it depicted earlier today. This is a major reason why the lower boundary layer is quite a bit cooler for NYC; the primary dampens out and we even try to get a very weak sfc low just south of the area. If precip intensity can become moderate Christmas Eve, I think there's a good chance we'll have a few hours of snow sticking to grassy surfaces, pretty much areawide. It would be enough for official white Christmas assuming it doesn't get washed away overnight.

I'm not sure what to expect here on the south shore of LI. Most likely will start out as snow, but may change to rain late. Based of the 12z NAM, I don't think surface temps are the problem, the problems are the 925mb temps and the 850's, they go above freezing as the night progresses which will definitely cause a change over to rain. :thumbsdown:

I'm not sure what to expect here on the south shore of LI. Most likely will start out as snow, but may change to rain late. Based of the 12z NAM, I don't think surface temps are the problem, the problems are the 925mb temps and the 850's, they go above freezing as the night progresses which will definitely cause a change over to rain. :thumbsdown:

Yeah the GFS and NAM have both increased low level warming. There could still be some mood flakes near the coast but accumulations south of I-287 or so look less likely. Looking at obs from around the region, the airmass is marginal. A burst of precip at the onset could lay down at least a coating. We'll see.

Archived