SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
I'm dreaming of a White Christmas!

WeatherFox

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there is any shredding on the NAM or GFS. The s/w looks pretty healthy, it's just a few hundred miles too far north. That means the upper level support does not overlap the area of favorable coastal surface low development... hence a weak SLP and light QPF.

This makes more sense.

Though the shortwave itself looks a bit more broad and flat than it did in yesterday's runs, though it's still pretty potent and yields decent PVA. But yes, the best PVA is well north of where the best moisture source and surface development would be. Thus, the high PVA is not yielding much in the way of QPF.

:axe::weenie::axe:

Ignorance is bliss.

The midrange guidance has certainly moved toward yesterday's SREF mean. But it could be something of a fluke situation. The latter panels of the SREF are prone to extreme solutions. I know the suite has been upgraded, but for the years I've been watching them, when the end of the run disagrees significantly with the global consensus, it almos always moves towards the consensus round 48-60hrs out.

I still think it looked fishy yesterday with a higher prob of rain than snow across the southern tier on NYS. But who knows, we're certainly moving in that direction. If the SREF can sniff out that kind of model trend that nothing else even suggests, the Euro and GFS should probably not be run at all.

This makes more sense.

Though the shortwave itself looks a bit more broad and flat than it did in yesterday's runs, though it's still pretty potent and yields decent PVA. But yes, the best PVA is well north of where the best moisture source and surface development would be. Thus, the high PVA is not yielding much in the way of QPF.

You're right. It's definitely not as deep or sharp as it was occasionally modeled yesterday. But a less impressive s/w wouldn't spoil the party completely. I think our problem is mostly as you describe.

Look at the difference in the modeled heights with the vortex to our north. This change is allowing the shortwave over the Ohio Valley to move farther north and supports the surface low development farther north as a result.

Today: http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/AVN_18z/f48.gif

Last Night: http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/AVN_0z/f66.gif

There's just no cold air to work with. We could have easily layed down a few inches if the airmass was just 5-8F colder.

I would not throw in the towel yet for the NYC folks since this is modeled as a close call and there are two days before the event. Time will still tell.

And a tad colder as well

The energy is still so much farther north than the guidance was indicating it would be yesterday. Almost all guidance underwent some big changes in regards to the vortex to the north over Southeast Canada as well as the block in Central Canada...and that's having dramatic effects on the modeling of the two storms.

The New Years storm still looks great though...luckily. I think that's our best percentage chance yet.

Yep. 850 mb low over Chicago normally does not bode well for I 95 snow. This run looks different though...definitely less of a push north with precip...it may keep the SLF further south this run. WAA in this area thought will kill us with SE winds by afternoon.

The energy is still so much farther north than the guidance was indicating it would be yesterday. Almost all guidance underwent some big changes in regards to the vortex to the north over Southeast Canada as well as the block in Central Canada...and that's having dramatic effects on the modeling of the two storms.

The New Years storm still looks great though...luckily. I think that's our best percentage chance yet.

Archived