• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
I'm dreaming of a White Christmas!

WeatherFox

Only about 1 in every 5 SWFEs is all snow for NYC/LI and I honestly cannot even recall the last one that was all snow...2 others are usually snow to sleet to rain and the other 2 are all rain. This one is going to fall somewhere in those last 4 options most likely, if we had a stronger high in place or a colder air mass I'd feel better about getting more snow,

I hope the confluence prevents us from seeing a typical sw flow track

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only about 1 in every 5 SWFEs is all snow for NYC/LI and I honestly cannot even recall the last one that was all snow...2 others are usually snow to sleet to rain and the other 2 are all rain. This one is going to fall somewhere in those last 4 options most likely, if we had a stronger high in place or a colder air mass I'd feel better about getting more snow,

I think I wrote something about a month ago how winter first has to come to Berkshire and Litchfield counties before it can hope to establish a foothold in the NYC area.

Using the nam and srefs at this range is laughable. Euro gives us 2-4. Gfs went warm at 06z, it will be telling to see what it does in 30 min

from reading this board, you would think we are in line for a 2-4 inch storm, from reading Mt Holly disco all they talk about is rain. Think people getting a little too gung ho over the models and now they are trending away anyhow

from reading this board, you would think we are in line for a 2-4 inch storm, from reading Mt Holly disco all they talk about is rain. Think people getting a little too gung ho over the models and now they are trending away anyhow

this isnt a "Mt Holly" subforum.

I recall many SWFE occuring as Highs are leaving the area , this time it may be a case where low level cold air is filtering in as the low comes north .

2 things i like , It will occur at night and with almost no wind so I think thats more promising for more snowier scenerio .

I am not dicounting the SREF .I just like to use them closer in .

Lets see if the 12 GFS holds serve .

I recall many SWFE occuring as Highs are leaving the area , this time it may be a case where low level cold air is filtering in as the low comes north .

2 things i like , It will occur at night and with almost no wind so I think thats more promising for more snowier scenerio .

I am not dicounting the SREF .I just like to use them closer in .

Lets see if the 12 GFS holds serve .

Holding serve would be bad as 6z GFS looked warm...

whether it is or not they are not bullish on this storm...and there are borderline areas of Mt Holly/Upton that generally have the same weather conditions

using "mt holly says rain" as an argument that this subforum is incorrect in discussing snow is flat out trolling. go back into your hole until spring.

using "mt holly says rain" as an argument that this subforum is incorrect in discussing snow is flat out trolling. go back into your hole until spring.

Subforum protocol issues aside, factually--the original statement is inaccurate. Latest AFD from Mt. Holly:

"FOR SUNDAY INTO MONDAY...MORE OR LESS ZONAL FLOW CONTS FOR THIS

PERIOD AS A WEAK RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS EAST ACROSS THE

AREA. WINDS WILL FINALLY DIMINISH AND TEMPS WILL BE NEAR SEASONAL

NORMS.

FOR MONDAY INTO CHRISTMAS DAY...A WEAK LOW PRESSURE IS FCST TO

TRACK EWD AND PASS THROUGH DELMARVA EARLY XMAS MORN. THIS WILL

BRING SOME LIGHT PRECIP TO THE AREA PROBABLY STARTING LATE MONDAY

AFTN. PCPN TYPE IS SMWHT UNCERTAIN...ATTM IT LOOKS LIKE COASTAL NJ

AND SRN DE WILL BE TOO WARM OVERNIGHT FOR ANY TYPE BUT RAIN. HWVR

FARTHER N COULD SEE A MIX OF PCPN...WITH LIGHT SNOW LIKELY WELL N

AND W OF PHL.

PCPN SHOULD END OVER MOST AREAS BY MID DAY ON TUESDAY WITH

RELATIVELY PLEASANT CONDS FOR THE SEASON. HWVR THIS WILL BE SHORT

LIVED AS ANOTHER MORE POWERFUL STORM WINDS UP AND MOVES NEWD OUT

OF THE LOWER MS VLY TUE NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY. THERE ARE OF COURSE

TIMING AND INTENSITY DIFFERENCES AT THIS RANGE...HWVR BOTH THE GFS

AND ECMWF ARE INDICATING RAIN OVER DELMARVA AND SRN NJ WITH A

WINTRY MIX FURTHER N. THE GFS ENSEMBLE IS SHOWING A LOT OF

UNCERTAINTY IN THE TRACK LOW LOCATION WITH SEVERAL MEMBERS FARTHER

N...WHICH WOULD RESULT IN MOSTLY RAIN IN THE NRN MID ATLANTIC.

THE WEEK IS FCST TO END WITH A WEAK RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE AND

FAIR WX BUT THEN YET ANOTHER POSSIBLE STORM IS INDCD FOR NEXT

WEEKEND."

850s seemed colder, but did the surface warm a bit?

They ok 30 by you - 34 ish in and around city , Algo always paints coastline as gasbag .

looks 2- 3 type event . Cant ask for anything more on Christmas morning , just enough to feel like Christmas but doesnt wreck havoc on travel .

What is "do well"? Do I think Warren/Sussex counties see more snow? Definitely. But I don't think 6 inch lollipops, which were being shown on some NWP when the SLP was heading east over DOV instead of through C PA. This is WAA snow for the most part...a good rule of thumb in these neck of the woods is to cut the snowfall in half during these events. So say....0.2 translates to 1 in. snow.

It's colder then the 06z run and you would not think nnj and ct would not do well?

What is "do well"? Do I think Warren/Sussex counties see more snow? Definitely. But I don't think 6 inch lollipops, which were being shown on some NWP when the SLP was heading east over DOV instead of through C PA. This is WAA snow for the most part...a good rule of thumb in these neck of the woods is to cut the snowfall in half during these events. So say....0.2 translates to 1 in. snow.

For now the warming on this run as stop. It really looks nothing like 00z euro. Hopefully it trends better for us. As the confluence will allow this only to get so far north

for the most part this has always looked like a 1-3 inch storm(inland areas of nj)

Ideally we'd like the 500mb and 700mb to track just south of NYC. Unfortunately the NAM and GFS are now moving them through to the north. That favors ENY and interior SNE. The GFS forecast soundings are still cold enough for mostly snow ahead of the s/w approach, especially just north and west of the City. The boundary layer warms with southeasterly flow, but precipitation is tapering off at that point.

With such a compact s/w, a small modeled change could significantly shift the band of snow. When previous runs were increasing the amplitude of the trof and digging it further south, I thought that looked good for southern areas like EPA and NJ. But now with a smaller amplitude trof (although fairly potent), I think that typically ends up favoring the southern tier of NY up through interior ENY. Still a few days out...

Archived