• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 20-22 Winter Storm (Blizzard?) Potential

Hoosier

Figured it was time to start a thread for this event. Goes without saying that being 5 days out we have to be careful to not get too wrapped up in any one solution, and there's a non-trivial chance that this ends up being a relatively non-exciting event for much of the subforum. That being said, the latest solutions are downright impressive with a surface low rapidly deepening in the Lakes late next week. The overall setup and a quick look at GFS wind progs/momentum transfer would support potential blizzard conditions on the backside should the deeper solutions come to pass.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gather this looks good for both YYZ and YOW (Ottawa) as per the euro. If this were to verify, what a dramatic start to winter it would be. Here's hoping, but not holding my breath.

The system looks unimpressive on the GFS, but that model has been a mess for the past week and a half.

What? It's sub 980 mb on the GFS.

SE trend plz kthxbai

For the region as a whole though, best looking 5-day-out possibility so far this winter....maybe last winter too?

its been awhile to say the least.

I think it's gonna take the GFS another day or two for it to catch up to the other models....Euro/Gem have right idea as of now with this system.

12z Euro definitely less amplified with the pattern across the western US into the Gulf of Alaska vs the 00z. Although back to being a little faster again, this run still spins up the storm just in time to nail southeast Iowa. It's a fine line... a bit more amped and slow solution could mean a blizzard for Iowa while another 6-12 hours faster could mean much less as the storm would not spin up soon enough.

Archived