Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 20-22 Winter Storm (Blizzard?) Potential

Hoosier

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well someone may have jumped the gun. Never seen a metion of heavy snow this far out.

• Wednesday Night Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
  • Thursday Snow likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 33. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
  • Thursday Night A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. Blustery.
  • Friday A 20 percent chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 24. Blustery.
  • Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14.
  • Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 24.

http://forecast.weat...mkx&zmx=1&zmy=1

We are looking at mid 30's for Thursday, and 30 degrees for Friday, snow in the forecast for both days. I would imagine that can change based on how this low progresses. It would be nice to have snow on the ground before Christmas, and it is forecase to be in the upper 20's to 30 through the 24th....

I have confidence in the Euro, and the OP as well as the ensemble mean would be nice for the Quad Cities through S Wisconsin, but I'm not sold on that track. I get a bad feeling it will trend NW like many strong lows do over time. I would much rather be in Dubuque, Madison, or Sheboygan/Green Bay at this point, but obviously still in the mix.

I have confidence in the Euro, and the OP as well as the ensemble mean would be nice for the Quad Cities through S Wisconsin, but I'm not sold on that track. I get a bad feeling it will trend NW like many strong lows do over time. I would much rather be in Dubuque, Madison, or Sheboygan/Green Bay at this point, but obviously still in the mix.

I have a lot of confidence in the EURO also.

I think that west based box will limit a track any further west then the 12z GFS. If it does end up westerly, then I expected something like the GGEM where the energy transfers east with another low developing.

It can only track so far Northwest. As stated by others there is a very strong signal that there will be significant blocking across Canada. The storm isn't going to go headstrong into that blocking. Just because a system is strong doesn't mean it has to trend NW, that is a very common misconception around here. The bigger key is watching how deep into the SW this gets and where it ejects out of NM.

It can only track so far Northwest. As stated by others there is a very strong signal that there will be significant blocking across Canada. The storm isn't going to go headstrong into that blocking. Just because a system is strong doesn't mean it has to trend NW, that is a very common misconception around here. The bigger key is watching how deep into the SW this gets and where it ejects out of NM.

That's true, so would you think overall the Euro Ensemble track is more reasonable than the GFS Ensemble mean track? The Euro Ensembles take it from C Illinois probably into N Ohio, and the GFS Ensemble mean takes it almost directly into Milwaukee.

That's true, so would you think overall the Euro Ensemble track is more reasonable than the GFS Ensemble mean track? The Euro Ensembles take it from C Illinois probably into N Ohio, and the GFS Ensemble mean takes it almost directly into Milwaukee.

I would ride the Euro over the GFS, The Euro also compromises with the GGEM and Ukie. Even early NAM trends are similar to Euro.

Thank you. Kind of old when some every single time just assume that stronger means further northwest. Yes sometimes that is the case but not always. Look at the scenario/setup before thinking that.

Archived