Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 20-22 Winter Storm (Blizzard?) Potential

Hoosier

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The points about how far south (or north) the wave ejects are spot on imo. If you're farther south/east, you want a farther south ejection. If it doesn't happen and the trough goes negative tilt where the models suggest, then areas farther east are probably hosed regardless of blocking.

The points about how far south (or north) the wave ejects are spot on imo. If you're farther south/east, you want a farther south ejection. If it doesn't happen and the trough goes negative tilt where the models suggest, then areas farther east are probably hosed regardless of blocking.

Yep. Sfc low needs to get going around AMA for a good one here.

Yep, definitely what I am thinking as well. We might want a more progressive moment of the trough initially, but then amplification once the low and trough get east of the Mississippi River, at least speaking for the W Great Lakes (Milwaukee/Chicago/Quad Cities).

The NW trend of 2007/08 will always haunt us weenies. "The storm isn't going to go headstrong into that blocking" was said nearly every storm that showed clean misses of WI and even the eastern lakes that winter.. 100+ inches later.

I have no clue what to expect from this storm, but I know I'd rather be NW of the bulls eye 5 days out 9 times out of 10 with a panhandle hooker type storm.

Totally agree with the ejection thoughts.

It can only track so far Northwest. As stated by others there is a very strong signal that there will be significant blocking across Canada. The storm isn't going to go headstrong into that blocking. Just because a system is strong doesn't mean it has to trend NW, that is a very common misconception around here. The bigger key is watching how deep into the SW this gets and where it ejects out of NM.

Good points. Honestly a euro-ish track seems decently realistic.

This is going to torch most of this board. Euro may be to far east.

The NAMs 925mb temp field at 12z Wednesday is pretty damn warm.

But there is 12C 850s pushing into Central MO. 15C into SE Kansas almost to I-70.

Those surface temps are way underdone at that point.

Could be a windy Cloudy upper 60s. Or if enough sun pops. Windy and low to mid 70s.

The record is 68f that day here. So that would be In serious jeopardy.

living in western ohio, there was little hope anyway outside some backlash. Might as well go for the best possible solution and hope for something better around Christmas.

All depends on where this thing runs into the block. With how badly the models have been performing lately nothing is taken for granted and the towel isnt thrown yet. I like the Euro Ens/GGEM's idea atm.

One thing I will say, and the 0z GFS kinda shows it...but that northern piece that runs out in front will delay this thing getting it's act together. Ideally, if we want the big storm scenario, this thing needs to be ripping, or beginning to, well to the south/southwest of the region. Not really seeing that on any of the guidance. Sure it'll be a good enough storm for those on the "good side", but I'm not sure I see "big" totals until we get into WI and then the U.P.

One thing I will say, and the 0z GFS kinda shows it...but that northern piece that runs out in front will delay this thing getting it's act together. Ideally, if we want the big storm scenario, this thing needs to be ripping, or beginning to, well to the south/southwest of the region. Not really seeing that on any of the guidance. Sure it'll be a good enough storm for those on the "good side", but I'm not sure I see "big" totals until we get into WI and then the U.P.

I think if the southern wave were to dig a bit more and the sfc low were to hook across TX/OK instead of moving east we would see better cold sector QPF earlier.

Haha, from what I've heard that was a great storm for much of WI/MI. A gulf low or a panhandle hook?

More of a panhandle hook. Really one of the underrated storms of the past 25 years. Anyone who was in the middle of it would tell you it was one of the most intense events they've witnessed.

More of a panhandle hook. Really one of the underrated storms of the past 25 years. Anyone who was in the middle of it would tell you it was one of the most intense events they've witnessed.

My parents said people were using skis to get around town and travel to work that day. It was a few years before I was born, so nothing but heresay on this end.

I remember that one! Ya, I'm OLD! LOL. It probably was the heaviest I ever saw snow come down! Also, probably the windiest! The snow was was flying in sideways! Couldn't see the house across the street. I remember talking to a co-worker who actually tried driving in to work that day and he said he had to follow the street lights because he could hardly see the road. Also had thundersnow. I remember the forecast the night before still called for a rain/snow mix in Milwaukee county and along the lake. Back then they didn't have the forecast models as they do today. I believe the track was kinda between the GHD blizzard and a panhandle hook. I remember it coming up NNE from around Memphis. Hoosier, I agree, this storm is underrated. You don't hear it talked about much.

Sorry to get waay off-topic, but I had to chime-in on that one :)

Archived