• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 2

IWXwx

Those maps are lol worthy. As much as the CFS weeklies/monthlies usually are on a day to day basis.

For fun, here's today's CFS weeklies through the end of Dec/beginning of Jan. Gonna be hard to get snow when it's an all out torch. :lol:

Not to play this game too much, but today's CFS weeklies are a bit different in week 3. Week 1 and 2 are still a torch, but Week 3 the transition to the continually frigid week 4 (as per every CFS run) takes place. Precip link added as well. Anyway, just for fun.

Temps http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/sweaver/cfs_fcst/images1/wk3.wk4_20121210.NAsfcT.gif

Precip http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/sweaver/cfs_fcst/images1/wk3.wk4_20121210.NA.gif

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GGEM has developed a cold bias since its "reconfiguration". Great job guys.

I wouldn't get to hyped up about any model run, nor would I get hyped up about any "snowstorm". The Pac Jet is in control and indeed, there is little cold air to work with. It is pure what ifs. Cold bias rule is in effect to this pattern changes.

Boy you said it. Euro 240 and coldest 850 temps in the conus are -8.....Dec 21st! Canada looks pretty warm relatively speaking as well. This could get ugly.

post-622-0-00517200-1355256984_thumb.jpg

from DVN

LONG TERM...WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH NEXT TUESDAY

THE OVERALL ATMOSPHERIC ENERGY BUDGET IN COMBINATION WITH TELECONNECTIONS AND

OBSERVATIONS OVER THE PAST WEEK CONFIRMS A VERY ACTIVE WX PATTERN

ACROSS THE CONUS. BASED ON MORE RECENT DATA... THIS ACTIVE WX

PATTERN WITH MORE SUBSTANTIAL SYSTEMS ACROSS THE CONUS LOOKS TO LAST

ANOTHER TWO WEEKS...POSSIBLY LONGER.

from DVN

LONG TERM...WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH NEXT TUESDAY

THE OVERALL ATMOSPHERIC ENERGY BUDGET IN COMBINATION WITH TELECONNECTIONS AND

OBSERVATIONS OVER THE PAST WEEK CONFIRMS A VERY ACTIVE WX PATTERN

ACROSS THE CONUS. BASED ON MORE RECENT DATA... THIS ACTIVE WX

PATTERN WITH MORE SUBSTANTIAL SYSTEMS ACROSS THE CONUS LOOKS TO LAST

ANOTHER TWO WEEKS...POSSIBLY LONGER.

:thumbsup:

I'm really enjoying the 'edgieness' this weather has brought out in you. We get a January like last year and you just might be the first banned Canadian from the forum!

But I doubt anyone would blame him. I think it's bad enough in most of the Midwest, but clearly he's had it worse. Seems he's kept a decent attitude for a long time, but eventually one just has to vent as impatience sets in.

I'm really enjoying the 'edgieness' this weather has brought out in you. We get a January like last year and you just might be the first banned Canadian from the forum!

Though I have repeatedly said the only exciting thing was the arctic front snowstorm last Feb 10/11, if I had to pick a most-tolerable month of winter last year, it was January. A few very cold days (emphasis on few), and several shovelable snowfalls the 2nd half of the month. We actually had already seen several inches by this time last December, but mid-Dec through mid-Jan was "torch"ure.

Looking ahead.....and forgive me if Im being too positive...Id say chances for a white Christmas are decent for many here. Detroits White Christmas climo is 50/50 (versus say a 75/25 likelihood of a white Valentines Day). if you want to pull the climo card here, often times Decembers that have weeks of bare ground to start the month end up with White Christmases, and Decembers that start out white have bare Christmases. December is a wintry month, but certainly not favored to be as wintry as Jan and Feb, so the most likely outcome for a December is part wintry, part not (yes you have your wintry Dec 2000s and your winterless Dec 1998s, but thats NOT the norm). Its certainly possible December is a bust all the way around as so many seem to believe, but thinking about what Justin said in the other thread, & other mets as well...the models are useless past day 3-5, but the energy is there for storminess. When and where those storms will be is up in the air now, but I will be shocked if someone in this forum hasnt had a snowstorm by New Years. There doesnt seem to be any strong signal for arctic cold or torch, but as we head into the solstice now, "seasonable" weather is just fine for snow threats. And weve certainly done our time with a snowless first half of December...so why not? White Christmas on the way :)

I too think the weather is going to turn more winter like in these parts. With the models so all over the place there is no long term crystal ball. All streaks come to an end sooner or later and this one will be over soon !! Why ??? Positive thinking and I changed my avatar !!!

Yeah, I used to post in the Canadian weather forums where Cosgrove used to post outlooks weekly. He's as bad as JB for hype.

Back in the 80's Cosgrove use to be the chief OCM for the local ABC affiliate here in Columbus. I was in highschool at the time and I loved watching him. I recall one winter, I believe a strong elnino, in which it seemed there was a storm EVERY week like clock work, except they all rode up to our west and were all rainstorms for us. LC would keep hope alive up until a couple of days before each storm insisting that THIS ONE was going to be THE ONE that rode up to our east and would give us a snowstorm. Of course it never happened.

According to the NCEP, the huge positive EPO for next week looks to be temporary with it go negative towards the 20 - 21 timeframe. The PNA is still negative but less negative. This all is a step in the right direction. Could there be PNA ridging in January??

Its the 12th of December, lets hope something develops around the 20th and at the latest 25th... I really hope this month isn't sunk. While this is a transition month and HIGHLY variable, I would rather not wipe away a second December.

I'm trying to figure out why some in the 'other' regions are creaming themselves over the extended euro. That trough in the east looks like it's ready to exit stage right real fast, and when it does.... the table is set for a pretty mild time for xmas.

GFS longrange doesnt show it being transient... I'm thinking we have gotten the closest yet to real cold with these last few runs, we never punched through the 252 hour mark with sub freezing highs yet.... We now have cold in the 228 hour or less mark..

Archived