joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 2

IWXwx

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z Euro is turning on the freezer at 192+ as it drops cold air in from Canada. 1050 MB high pressure sneaking into Montana at 240 hours. The 12z GFS has a 1046 MB high over South Dakota at the same time.

The GFS hasn't wavered on that EXACT same cold surge since it appear around 342+ hours. Now the GFS and the Euro have the EXACT same cold surge around 180+ hours or less now. Its not going to freeze us like the end of "The Day after Tomorrow", but its something positive after 13 months of horse****.

i'd take just about anything over bitter cold and dry

Get a plane ticket and fly to Whistler or drive up to Houghton. I'm going to guess weather is important to you.... why else would you be on this board as often as myself (I admittedly am obsessed).

I would be better off living in Chicago... Houghton, MI and the western UP is closer.. Tons of snowmobilers live in Chicagoland area. The eastern UP isn't doing so well..

Anyhow....

Sorry I will take 25/sunny then 40 and mist/fog anyday. Thats suicide weather.

In Michigan its RARE to not have snow after a cold front swings through... The lake is fired up and we almost always have snowcover from Lake Michigan. Sunny and cold usually lasts until about noon and then the snow squalls take over.

Sunny and cold.

lake_effect_snow.gif

There is a thread for the snowmobile talk, this isn't that thread.

Did you walk in on your wife in bed with a snowmobile?... Seriously, it wasn't even 1/20th of my posts in this thread. You were a nazi over the s-word last year too, the only person doing so. You should see how off-topic NE threads get with banter, at least my off-topic is weather related.

I'll try to bring this back on topic with this beauty.

18zgfs850mbTSLPNA252.gif

how many tenths do you have to-date. If less than .5...i'd put you at close to a lock.

:lmao: I hope this is sarcasm...or else it is a ridiculous statement to say mid-month. And actually, DTW is a big fat 0 for snow in December so far. Last official snow here was Nov 25th (had 0.4" in Nov and a T in Oct). Is it possible? Yes, but not at all probable, whether you go by climo or the cold weather the euro and the gfs show in the med/longrange (ie clippers and les). In fact, Euro hints at a nice clipper Thurs, the 2-5" type of snow for all of lower MI (the GFS is warmer and more north). Whether any of this pans out, you lock in a cold type of pattern, and even though it would scream suppression, with the lakes and nw flow (clippers) it would be very hard to have DTW go the next 17 days with less than an inch of snow.

In 132 years of record, 3 times has Detroit failed to get an inch of snow in December.

0.0" in 1889

0.4" in 1894

0.9" in 1943

:lmao: I hope this is sarcasm...or else it is a ridiculous statement to say mid-month. And actually, DTW is a big fat 0 for snow in December so far. Last official snow here was Nov 25th (had 0.4" in Nov and a T in Oct). Is it possible? Yes, but not at all probable, whether you go by climo or the cold weather the euro and the gfs show in the med/longrange (ie clippers and les). In fact, Euro hints at a nice clipper Thurs, the 2-5" type of snow for all of lower MI (the GFS is warmer and more north). Whether any of this pans out, you lock in a cold type of pattern, and even though it would scream suppression, with the lakes and nw flow (clippers) it would be very hard to have DTW go the next 17 days with less than an inch of snow.

In 132 years of record, 3 times has Detroit failed to get an inch of snow in December.

0.0" in 1889

0.4" in 1894

0.9" in 1943

If the cold and dry pattern the models are showing now for later next week really does happen, Detroit will easily get an inch of snow. That's what's great about Michigan. Cold and dry patterns still produce snow here. A weak clipper can give a couple of inches even on the east side of the state with the help of the Great Lakes.

If the cold and dry pattern the models are showing now for later next week really does happen, Detroit will easily get an inch of snow. That's what's great about Michigan. Cold and dry patterns still produce snow here. A weak clipper can give a couple of inches even on the east side of the state with the help of the Great Lakes.

Just enough to snow....... Blow.

As FRUSTRATING as the start to this snow season has been here...this is an excellent point. We can talk about the good times, but in reality, in the worst times, MI is a great place to see SOME snow in a crappy pattern. Last winter was an epic disaster for almost everywhere, and DTW STILL managed 26" of snow and 10 days with 1"+ snowfall and you guys did much better than that. And the same is said for suppression....when a cold pattern locks in, the Lakes help us out!

I have to say, the storm that the Euro and many of the GFS runs are showing a week out from now looks intriguing, just have to evaluate the realistic chances of such a system panning out in conjunction with cold air. Maybe 15-20%? Who knows, but I do know that 3-5 inches widespread in Wisconsin and Michigan, which is essentially what the Euro shows, would feel like a blizzard given the way the year has gone.

Archived