Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 2

IWXwx

lake_effect_snow.gif

1818radar.jpg

You can see it converges the NW lower and SW lower bands over this region... This is a decent example, but actually it worked out for Detroit as well.

Ahh! I remember that bottom radar image well. That was the last MAJOR snow/LES set up for IMBY. I parked my car before work and when I came out it looked like this:

post-599-0-84667500-1357684868_thumb.jpg

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lotta potential for a major overrunning event with the models but not much materializing as of yet since both the EURO and the GFS want to dampen out anything that ejects out of the western trough.

Yeah this goes back to my point I made earlier that you don't need a bomb to have things end up positive, the thing is it is more favorable right now for those on the East side of the region.

Looks like the Euro's quicker/weaker/further northwest with the Friday night/Saturday system.  Now the storm system after that tracks a bit further northwest as well.  Gonna have to watch this.  A few minor adjustments further in this direction could lead to a decent snow system for parts of the MW, including CHI/MKE.

Yeah this goes back to my point I made earlier that you don't need a bomb to have things end up positive, the thing is it is more favorable right now for those on the East side of the region.

yeah  major overrunning potential...but im wondering...do you think it will be a razor-thin stripe of snow or a wider one? 12z euro verbatum is perfect but not much wiggle room lol

yeah  major overrunning potential...but im wondering...do you think it will be a razor-thin stripe of snow or a wider one? 12z euro verbatum is perfect but not much wiggle room lol

Hard to say at this point, I'd much rather get the first 2 systems out of the way before even looking at this (3rd system). A lot of things can and probably will change between now and then.

Hard to say at this point, I'd much rather get the first 2 systems out of the way before even looking at this (3rd system). A lot of things can and probably will change between now and then.

Oh I know it will change. Just looks like an interesting setup. Its like a constant stream moisture from the gulf heading NE...parts of the south look like a lock for flooding.

Lotta potential for a major overrunning event with the models but not much materializing as of yet since both the EURO and the GFS want to dampen out anything that ejects out of the western trough.

Really odd run of the GFS at 18z. Completely different from 12z, being a lot warmer towards the end of the run.

One thing I would like to note, several of the GFS ensembles do have a more amplified look to them, with respect to the storm that comes out of Texas around day 4-5. Those that don't have a system ride up the front in the day 7-8 range, only the op GFS really has nothing of significant merit when compared to the ensembles. To me that would mark the prospects of changes coming in next several the op GFS runs.

lake_effect_snow.gif

1818radar.jpg

You can see it converges the NW lower and SW lower bands over this region... This is a decent example, but actually it worked out for Detroit as well.

Do you have other great radar shots like this? I would love to look at some more radar images from past lake effect events. Google doesn't have too many.

Here's a couple LES events that impacted Muskegon. The vortex animation is too cool!

http://severewx.atmos.uiuc.edu/index.12.html

Thanks much, Geos. I have seen these guys before. They are definitely events where I would have gone to the beach or a hike somewhere to experience the awesome power of nature. Perhaps pull some Jim Cantores as I look to the sky in amazement...

You must live in Wayne or Monroe county then... The rest of the state is blasted with LES.

ALL depends on the flow direction and moisture supply especially out this way.

This is a pretty exceptional SSW episode...and something to get excited about:

post245671357685358.gif

Something HAS to give with that.

Lock in the 0z GFS, a couple inches of snow Monday night into early Tuesday on the backside of a rather weak, but still present system.

As long as that baroclinic zone is sitting to the SE of us there is bound to be something that rides up along it giving us a few inches of snow.

GFS moving toward big storm after the 15th? A few days faster than I was thinking, but this pattern could push a real juicer north with the arctic/southeast ridge collision...................

I asked about that a couple days ago. GFS on and off as well as the GGEM have shown a potential big storm between 16-18 but the Euro has not as of yet. 0z GFS tonight has a nice swath of 3-6" in Ohio/IN..

post-4544-0-85879200-1357706659_thumb.gi

Hour 108 has a real sleety look for the NW burbs of Chicago.

GFS_3_2013010900_F108_42.0000N_88.0000W.

As the wave develops along the front and deepens a bit, we get cold air advection into Ohio that is just strong enough to turn them into snow will areas west see a mix and rain before that cold air can really kick in.

But if the wave develops a little bit earlier/stronger/farther south than this particular Op run, we could see a return to the snowy solution for Chicagoland.

I asked about that a couple days ago. GFS on and off as well as the GGEM have shown a potential big storm between 16-18 but the Euro has not as of yet. 0z GFS tonight has a nice swath of 3-6" in Ohio/IN..

This is in HMs bomb potential time frame. Bring that northern energy a lil further south and stronger and then we may be talking.

I'm guessing the models don't know what to do with the SSW event.

You're not kidding was having a discussion in a broadcast met group on FB earlier tonight and everyone's head is spinning trying to keep up with all the different solutions that come out with each run of Euro and GFS. They have changed every run today and that's been the hallmark for the past week since this started building in the strat. 

i dont know alot about ssw, but I hear its good for a snowy, stormy wintry pattern!

Definitely more wintry. If we can have the MJO hang around phases 6-8 and have the SE ridge hold up the storm track from scooting east too quick, then we could keep the system rolling across the subforum.

This is a historic rise in the 10mb levels. The red line has broken through the black line. Green line is average.

10mb9065+(1).gif

The color global map on the last page shows the warming off the chart depicted in black. Link to article > http://theweathercentre.blogspot.de/

Archived