Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Pattern Discussion 12/15 and beyond

ORH_wxman

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're the man! Thanks much... mods, feel free to clean up.

I'm liking this signal more than any to date thus far this season. Though the PNA is primarily static leading up to, the flow is thus balanced and free react to the single teleconnector exertion from the NAO domain, which at that time finds its way down to a nice nadir.

I realize the name H. Archembault was used in the other thread I started, so not intending to glaze over any eyes. But that was in deference to the PNA, which did not pan out according to the CEFs mean original computation some 10 days prior. That turned out to be a false signal. Barring that occurring with the NAO, this is also encapsulated in her science for correlation upon E N/A events.

I would definitely take this one more serious than a punch line out of frustration - the NAO is falling and finds it's way down to a nadir just prior or during the 17th to 21st time span.

that may be so bu the CMC has very little reliable ...less than the others, even for this time range in question.

it looks NOTHING like it's 00z run. it's an unattended fire hose of a model beyond D4 or there abouts.

Well I'm not going to argue with you about the utility of the CMC. But this run sure looks a lot similar to its previous run than it does to the GFS. And out past day 5 I don't expect tremendous run to run continuity.

I'm just relaying small pieces to the puzzle. I did not mean to argue for or against a future scenario. At the very least I was hoping to see some kind of move towards the GFS in one aspect or another, and I didn't see it. So until I see the Euro, the GFS appears on its own.

Well I'm not going to argue with you about the utility of the CMC. But this run sure looks a lot similar to its previous run than it does to the GFS. And out past day 5 I don't expect tremendous run to run continuity.

I'm just relaying small pieces to the puzzle. I did not mean to argue for or against a future scenario. At the very least I was hoping to see some kind of move towards the GFS in one aspect or another, and I didn't see it. So until I see the Euro, the GFS appears on its own.

I was also just letting you know, so consume the information as you will.

I wouldn't be too hung up on any given run for that matter for this type of time range, though. I mean ... you're saying 'I won't this or that until x,y,z model shows it' - nah.

Best thing to do is to recognize the pattern modes and/or modalities as a whole, and then see how the blend fits in.

GEFS continue a weenie look for interior.

Pretty high mean QPF for 6 days out. Must be some high QPF members. And it is suggesting a decently long duration for precipitation. But there is still very little overlap between the range of individual GEFs members and any of the other models, so the camps are clearly "seeing" different things.

Best thing to do is to recognize the pattern modes and/or modalities as a whole, and then see how the blend fits in.

I get it. And I like the concept. But my concern has been for a long time that we might not be able to see the pattern modes or modalities out into the future any better than we can see specific synoptic solutions... because they are intrinsically linked. Sometimes only when we realize a suspected "signal" was false do we identify the nature of the pattern as being different than we previously thought.

I get it. And I like the concept. But my concern has been for a long time that we might not be able to see the pattern modes or modalities out into the future any better than we can see specific synoptic solutions... because they are intrinsically linked. Sometimes only when we realize a suspected "signal" was false do we identify the nature of the pattern as being different than we previously thought.

Not quite though - the "daily" synoptic set up does not describe the background mode, certainly not if that mode is changing, either.

Hi,first off I'm in the wrong forum I know. I was wondering if somebody here could help. I just submitted to accuweather pro. Have been looking at the GFS for a couple years have a decent understanding of what the maps mean. Is there a site to learn more about how to read these ECM maps? And the model comes out at 1 pm correct, for some reason it's still on the 00z running? Thanks to whoever has an answer, and sorry for posting this I know it's off topic.

Very active like many have said. Just no cold air around. I really feel the lack of any cold air will punt december outside nne.

Most certainly a possibility, unfortunately. I'll take my chances though with some blocking to the north and by mid December climo can help even in a normal-ish temp regime.

Also the euro has always been sort of amped for the weekend. It was the ensembles that showed potential.

Not quite though - the "daily" synoptic set up does not describe the background mode, certainly not if that mode is changing, either.

Of course not. But averaged over space and time it does. The "pattern mode" today does not dictate the weather next week. There is enough time between now and then for a new "pattern" to develop. That pattern could be described by the prevailing synoptic features during the interim. And the evolution of those features is only as clear as our model predictions.

None of the GEFs members look like the Euro or CMC. It's an example of the limitations of ensemble modeling.

A couple members have rain and warm (though not as bad as the Euro), but most threaten wintry precipitation with a miller B scenario.

Should probably just talk about today's rain then. Models don't seem too far apart on how the pattern as a whole evolves. No one is trying to pin down specifics yet.

Very active like many have said. Just no cold air around. I really feel the lack of any cold air will punt december outside nne.

That is very possible

might be a good thing at the lead

Its in a good spot for now, Get this off the coast it could produce

2 of them

Yeah, Jerry, The one right behind it does the same, If we can get some blocking and get these 2 underneath us we would be in business

Of course not. But averaged over space and time it does. The "pattern mode" today does not dictate the weather next week. There is enough time between now and then for a new "pattern" to develop. That pattern could be described by the prevailing synoptic features during the interim. And the evolution of those features is only as clear as our model predictions.

You had mentioned that the synoptics were intrinsically linked to the mode - and that's not necessarily true.

It's all good -

Archived