joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9-11, 2012 (Winter?) Storm

weathergy

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My initial gut feeling is it will be an upper midwest storm - I sure as hell hope Im wrong - but thats just a gut feeling based on the fact that its been quiet everywhere and they usually get a snowstorm before us. That said, the models will have NO accurate handle on this for DAYS...so we just have to keep mildly entertaining ourselves for the next several days before even thinking of latching onto a solution.

My initial gut feeling is it will be an upper midwest storm - I sure as hell hope Im wrong - but thats just a gut feeling based on the fact that its been quiet everywhere and they usually get a snowstorm before us. That said, the models will have NO accurate handle on this for DAYS...so we just have to keep mildly entertaining ourselves for the next several days before even thinking of latching onto a solution.

I have been using the same logic but I guess there are always going to be exceptions to the rule. Needless to say it will be an interesting few days ahead.

I'm leaning that way as well. Best bet for us further to the S & E is if the system comes out in bits and pieces, with each subsequent wave pushing the baroclinic zone further to the south and east. Also, the hope is that the preceding storm becomes a downstream quasi-block. Otherwise, if it's a consolidated storm, the trough placement being so far west is not going to help us.

DT of Wxrisk seems to agree that there will be no severe cold through at least December 18 but that the storms between 9-11 will impact the Great lakes and midwest.

By the way, is he still a member of this forum?

Well in a way he might be right because the long range after this looks kinda crappy per the euro. More zonal.

DT of Wxrisk seems to agree that there will be no severe cold through at least December 18 but that the storms between 9-11 will impact the Great lakes and midwest.

DT says all of MN, the eastern Dakotas, and parts of Iowa will get "smacked". I really don't have a clue how reliable he is as I never follow him so I guess take it fwiw.

That has been my thinking the last few days as well. I see several opportunities for the lakes region before the solid cold arrives.

Archived