CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 9-11, 2012 (Winter?) Storm

weathergy

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow the 0z Euro just took a huge jump to the 0z GFS, totally different look than the 12z run. Has the potent wave diving southeast out of the pac NW, trof almost goes neutral tilt and a sfc low runs along a very tight baroclinic zone ( 8 deg at 850mb near the IA/IL border to -16 deg in central NE. Sfc low runs from DBQ-GRB around 996mb and deepens.

This is what can happen if it comes out in one piece and doesn't stall over the southwest. Also much earlier too.

Wow the 0z Euro just took a huge jump to the 0z GFS, totally different look than the 12z run. Has the potent wave diving southeast out of the pac NW, trof almost goes neutral tilt and a sfc low runs along a very tight baroclinic zone ( 8 deg at 850mb near the IA/IL border to -16 deg in central NE. Sfc low runs from DBQ-GRB around 996mb and deepens.

This is what can happen if it comes out in one piece and doesn't stall over the southwest. Also much earlier too.

Would be quite the blizzard for Kansas/Nebraska/W Iowa and up into MN. of course on the warm side of things it would be probably something we haven't seen in a while, a severe weather outbreak.

That is definately a true arctic outbreak on the Euro. Looks like single digit to negative surface temps all the way down to NE Nebraska and NW Iowa by hour 180.

12 hours until it shows something different.

Well the AO is progged to go negative sharply. Should be interesting.

1iPuu.gif

had pretty good feeling the euro would look a lot more impressive..potential for a big storm is there like t-snow has mentioned.. now will it show any consistency after ramming a low through WI or morph in to something like the previous system in Nov that had a low through WI in the early stage for a run. doubt its anything like last storm... thinking something of a congrats MN or eastern lakes as my early favorites. hopefully a congrats MN/N-WI to lay some snow down where its needed the most in dec. Just plz have there be something worthwhile to track even if its a rain event here which is the still my most likely outcome if it comes together like I think it could. What a bunch of ramble bs lol..especially this far out and with so many possibilities on the table from New England back to Nebraska or even something that's just, meh.

3499505886_024f1c3c78.jpg

If it is a blinding rainstorm like that, I'm all for it. We need the rain after a bone dry November, the only heavy rainstorm we have had this fall was the mid-October storm.

As for the snow part of this storm, early call is for a storm much like we saw in early to mid December of both 2009 and 2010. MSP, La Crosse, perhaps Green Bay, watch out!

If it is a blinding rainstorm like that, I'm all for it. We need the rain after a bone dry November, the only heavy rainstorm we have had this fall was the mid-October storm.

As for the snow part of this storm, early call is for a storm much like we saw in early to mid December of both 2009 and 2010. MSP, La Crosse, perhaps Green Bay, watch out!

Left turn lane is filling up.

Hopefully get some snow on the ground to the NW so DaddyLongSexyLegs can get his 25 degree below temps he wants.

We're getting close to the range where we can start looking for trends as far as timing/location/strength of the Pac energy into the west coast...model discrepencies by day 6 aren't totally awful and hopefully we'll start to see small movements towards a consensus over the next few days.

storm is alive and well on the 12z GFS and should be stronger than 6z

post-163-0-89674700-1354551606_thumb.jpg

GFS looks like it's trying to make the third piece of energy to eject out of the W coast the prime snowstorm threat. But I'm still not convinced that the 2nd piece doesn't trend colder. Wait and see.

first storm in a while that has my attention...actually looking forward to checking out the ensembles

first storm in a while that has my attention...actually looking forward to checking out the ensembles

The ensembles have been interesting in this timeframe for days now. Nice to see, but in the past, the ensembles have always been more interesting than the reality, partly because the GFS enjoyed making something out of even boring frontal passages in the medium range.

GFS looks like it's trying to make the third piece of energy to eject out of the W coast trough the prime snowstorm threat. But I'm still not convinced that the 2nd piece doesn't trend colder. Wait and see.

I'm not sure if you saw my post earlier but I mentioned about how that secondary system looks exactly like feb 6 2008. Remember that one Mike?

Archived