joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9-11, 2012 (Winter?) Storm

weathergy

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first storm in a while that has my attention...actually looking forward to checking out the ensembles

I wonder how long before a civil war will break out in here. :lol: We all say that we just want a storm to track, but you know it will incite rage in people when they don't get the storm, and others do. (I felt like this during the Dec 8-9, 2009 blizzard)

I wonder how long before a civil war will break out in here. :lol: We all say that we just want a storm to track, but you know it will incite rage in people when they don't get the storm, and other do. (I felt like this during the Dec 8-9, 2009 blizzard)

I would be happy either way. If we get a major storm this go around cool, if it moves to the se into the heart of this sub forum cool as well,as it will fit nicely with my overall winter forecast. :thumbsup:

One of my favorites! However, like Bow said, this will probably be a rain storm.

A repeat of 2/5-6/2008 would be awesome! Probably have at least part of the storm rain. Hopefully the air mass north of the low will be plenty cold.

12z GFS was a step in the right direction from the 0z run trying to have the wave come out in one piece and not stall. This is going to be a tough one to pin down for awhile. Going to be dependent on the the trof configuration and if it can go negative tilt or not and when. Several other systems during the same timeframe that could hinder max potential as well.

I can't remember a cutter threat all last winter

A repeat of 2/5-6/2008 would be awesome! Probably have at least part of the storm rain. Hopefully the air mass north of the low will be plenty cold.

The great thing about that storm here was that it was basically all snow; even when the light precip started around 4 or 5pm on February 5, it was a wet snow at 33F.

12z GFS was a step in the right direction from the 0z run trying to have the wave come out in one piece and not stall. This is going to be a tough one to pin down for awhile. Going to be dependent on the the trof configuration and if it can go negative tilt or not and when. Several other systems during the same timeframe that could hinder max potential as well.

it's nice to see something....

DVN touches on model hokey pokey...

maybe we get some pacific winter weather flights pegged for mid-late week if things keep up.....

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL

550 AM CST MON DEC 3 2012

SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY THE MODEL CONSENSUS HAS SCHC/CHC POPS

FOR EACH PERIOD. HOWEVER...THE RESPECTIVE MODEL SOLUTIONS ARE HIGHLY

VARIED AS TO WHAT WILL HAPPEN. MOST OF THIS VARIABILITY IS TRACEABLE

TO THE RESPECTIVE MODEL PHYSICS AND HOW EACH IS ATTEMPTING TO PHASE

VARIOUS ENERGIES TO PRODUCE STORM SYSTEMS.

THE FLOW PATTERN OF THE ATMOSPHERE INDICATES AN UNSETTLED AND ACTIVE

WX PATTERN WITH A TROF OVER THE WESTERN CONUS. WHEN ONE LOOKS AT THE

OVERALL ENERGY BUDGET OF THE ATMOSPHERE...IT IS SUPPORTIVE FOR THE

DEVELOPMENT OF A SIGNIFICANT SYSTEM. IF SUCH A SYSTEM DOES

DEVELOP...IT WOULD BE NONLINEAR IN NATURE AND THUS ANY MODEL WOULD

HAVE A VERY POOR HANDLE ON ITS DEVELOPMENT/EVOLUTION FROM RUN TO RUN.

I'm pretty sure there were some weak cutters, but nothing like what many of the models and ensembles of these models have been showing. Heck, there was even a warm cutter in November 2011 that had a very thin stripe of mod/heavy snow in the Upper Midwest. There was nothing of that sort this November, though.

Probably doesn't mean much at this time frame but the GEFS mean is well north of the operational.

I've always taken that as a bad sign for southern solutions, especially if many individual members are north and it's not being heavily skewed by just a couple. That being said, it's still a ways out.

I've always taken that as a bad sign for southern solutions, especially if many individual members are north and it's not being heavily skewed by just a couple. That being said, it's still a ways out.

Given we're talking about a convoluted scenario where multiple pieces come out at different times...it would be easy for the mean to be easily polluted....i suspect the first piece that comes off remains dominant on quite a few members. Either way, it's north of the OP but not anything crazy.

I'm pretty sure there were some weak cutters, but nothing like what many of the models and ensembles of these models have been showing. Heck, there was even a warm cutter in November 2011 that had a very thin stripe of mod/heavy snow in the Upper Midwest. There was nothing of that sort this November, though.

It appears we will not be bombarbed by a never ending string of cutoff lows this season...thus far

Given we're talking about a convoluted scenario where multiple pieces come out at different times...it would be easy for the mean to be easily polluted....i suspect the first piece that comes off remains dominant on quite a few members. Either way, it's north of the OP but not anything crazy.

P008 and P009 are probably messing with the mean...who knows which is right

post-163-0-06268300-1354556493_thumb.jpg

The great thing about that storm here was that it was basically all snow; even when the light precip started around 4 or 5pm on February 5, it was a wet snow at 33F.

Here on the 5th there was a brief period of light snow/freezing drizzle then it went over to all snow as it approached midnight going into the 6th. The temperatures was at 32-33° until about 1 pm the next day, when heavier snow brought temperatures down closer to 30°. Amounts really cut off as you got south of Waukegan. That was a 15" storm here.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mkx/?n=020608_snow

I'm not going to get caught up with this storms track for several days yet! Way too early to be stressing out on the track! lol

Here on the 5th there was a brief period of light snow/freezing drizzle then it went over to all snow as it approached midnight going into the 6th. The temperatures was at 32-33° until about 1 pm the next day, when heavier snow brought temperatures down closer to 30°. Amounts really cut off as you got south of Waukegan. That was a 15" storm here.

http://www.crh.noaa..../?n=020608_snow

I'm not going to get caught up with this storms track for several days yet! Way too early to be stressing out on the track! lol

For sure, all I'm going to say is P003 or P004 please on the 12z ensembles! :weight_lift: Those are great Central Lakes cutters.

Euro should be interesting. not sure I buy the op gfs 2 part deal..

Well at 150 it's a storm, not the most intense one (between 1000 and 1004 mb). We are in the coldest rain possible, and there are light to moderate snows in the typical areas that see a blizzard with Western Lakes cutters (NW half of Wisconsin, southern half of Minnesota, etc.).

Archived