CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Approaching Thanksgiving and the Rest of November

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what it got up to here today, but the scraps of snow left on the deck from yesterday never melted.

Yeah we had such a hard frost last night that north facing or shaded areas were able to hold the frost all day long. I love when there's still patchy frost in sheltered areas left over from the prior morning.

Low of 20F here this morning and a high of 40F. Normal is 45/27... so a solid below normal day today.

Yesterday's max/min though was 62F (+17) and 25F (-2)... can't really ever remember a day that had a high temp almost 20 degrees above normal, only to end up with a below normal low.

crank them mo fo's up baby! i'll be on the slopes in 2 weeks

i just remember last year (apart from oct 26-30) we were needing SW winds to advect in cooler temps lol and ya that didn't go so well. dis as tah. i was skiing in sunday river day after turkey dam with 576 dm heights into maine.

Now hopefully the GOA low doesn't torch the whole damn conus and i hope that the severe sun activity that HM was spooking about doesn't reinforce this vortex and kind of leave the -nao 2 weeks out , perpetually for the next several weeks. i do have somewhat of a concern that this current week will be the coolest relative to average for the next 6 weeks or so.

We may not have a drop of rain for 14 days......hopefully Tday trends cooler the thought of a warm Thanksgiving is nauseating.

It won't be warm (looks dead on average) for the next 10-14 days but it does look dry and boring....

lol at the GFS total QPF over the next 10 days. Legit chance of not having a drop of precipitation for quite some time.

gfs_namer_264_precip_ptot.gif

I see BDL is only at 0.27" of liquid through the first two weeks of November and with at least another 10 days of bone dry weather, anyone know what the records are for driest November? I gotta imagine 1/4" to 1/3" would be up there on a list of dry months.

We can play where in the world is Christian Pickles since you're never home.

unfortunately i'll be home till turkey day.

and i am concerned that modeling takes a turn for the worst (medium term) ,i.e AK vortex return not being transient, however i would never tie the noose, there will always be snow in the northern greens, last year was complete crap, and i skied the hell out of it.

unfortunately i'll be home till turkey day.

and i am concerned that modeling takes a turn for the worst (medium term) ,i.e AK vortex return not being transient, however i would never tie the noose, there will always be snow in the northern greens, last year was complete crap, and i skied the hell out of it.

I don't think it will be a dominant -AO for the entire winter, but I don't see why we can't have periods of it even if solar is high. Solar isn't everything and the troposphere very well may cooperate. The AO is so hard to predict, it's really not worth worrying about too much. I think the big thing to worry about is the AK region. That is the region I care about the most right now. I don't mean to imply we have to worry right now, I'm saying that is the area that should garner interest.

Yes , of course

are you hinting to watch the area, to see if the ridging develops there like forecast or to see if the vortex which seems to be showing on the next 10 days doesn't loosen it's grip like forecast over the murky 11-15 day longer range outlook

Yes for me, I think it's important to see how it (ridging) tries to shape up. I'm fully aware models like to rush things, but you still can get a feel for the pattern setting up in early December. I do think it will set up, but strength to be determined.

People also should realize that it's not the end of the world if wind whipped tempests don't greet us on 12/1. December 2010 was a slow start. The atmosphere is still set up for a PAC jet right now and it may take a little time for it to calm down. The tropical PAC certainly isn't hostile so I think it's a good idea to let the pieces of the puzzle fall as they may. I think we'll be ok.

Archived