CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Sandy Snow Chase(rs) - Major Snow Event

BeauDodson

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that weather statement about Oakland, MD. Just 25 miles west of me. I am going to head that way tomorrow night and chase the Blizzard. There are some higher peaks to the south of Oakland anybody know the routes to try?

You are only 25 miles from Oakland? as in Deep creek lake?

I would take the route I suggested earlier, 81 S to 48/55 West to Wardensville, WV. Then take the new freeway Corridor H (US 48) to Scherr, WV. You have to get off there since US 48 isnt done yet. then take Rt 42 North to Mt Storm then 50 West. Mt Storm is 2800+ feet and you are south of Oakland and once on US 50 cross Backbone Mtn (highest point in MD at 3360 ft) then once you hit US 219 turn left and go south towards Thomas/Davis, WV and Canaan. You will be on the best road and in the higher elevations of the WV Allegheny Mtns without traveling all the way down to Snowshoe which is a haul even from winchester

Light Snow

36°F

2°C

• Humidity100%
  • Wind SpeedNW 6 mph
  • Barometer29.87 in
  • Dewpoint36°F (2°C)
  • Visibility2.50 mi
  • Wind Chill31°F (-1°C)

Last Update on 28 Oct 4:35 pm EDT

Current conditions at

Wise / Lonesome Pine (KLNP)

Lat: 36.98 Lon: -82.53 Elev: 2680ft.

Snowing already in SW Virginia and Western North Carolina. Could be 1-2 feet there.

36 now at Snowshoe.

If only I was there.....

Tonight Rain and snow likely before 10pm, then snow. Low around 29. North wind 11 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Monday Snow. High near 30. Blustery, with a northwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Monday Night Snow. Low around 25. Windy, with a northwest wind 30 to 34 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Tuesday Snow. High near 29. Windy, with a west wind 31 to 34 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Tuesday Night Snow. Low around 26. Windy, with a northwest wind 21 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

18-26" just through Monday night.

Just back to my home in Boyce from my WV place. It is already in the 40's there. May have to go back out if snow levels get down to 2000'?

See near the top of Mount Mitchell NC is already 30 degrees.

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/cronos/?station=MITC

Here is Snow Shoe link I posted earlier:

http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/meso_base.cgi?stn=D2884

You are only 25 miles from Oakland? as in Deep creek lake?

I would take the route I suggested earlier, 81 S to 48/55 West to Wardensville, WV. Then take the new freeway Corridor H (US 48) to Scherr, WV. You have to get off there since US 48 isnt done yet. then take Rt 42 North to Mt Storm then 50 West. Mt Storm is 2800+ feet and you are south of Oakland and once on US 50 cross Backbone Mtn (highest point in MD at 3360 ft) then once you hit US 219 turn left and go south towards Thomas/Davis, WV and Canaan. You will be on the best road and in the higher elevations of the WV Allegheny Mtns without traveling all the way down to Snowshoe which is a haul even from winchester

Thanks Dave. This will be my plan. But I will just take 50 west from my home until I hit 219. I will post pictures when/if I get back :). Yes. I dont actually live in winchester (about 15-20 miles N/W) but I use it as my home so people on the site know where I am. Snowshoe is too far for me with a hurricane going on. But Deep Creek and a little south is doable. I think its amazing I am doing a blizzard chase from a tropical cyclone!!!

Thanks Dave. This will be my plan. But I will just take 50 west from my home until I hit 219. I will post pictures when/if I get back smile.png. Yes. I dont actually live in winchester (about 15-20 miles N/W) but I use it as my home so people on the site know where I am. Snowshoe is too far for me with a hurricane going on. But Deep Creek and a little south is doable. I think its amazing I am doing a blizzard chase from a tropical cyclone!!!

Sweet bro, Good luck and safe travels. I wasnt sure where you were that is why I was thinking the new Corridor H highway would get you out there faster but if you are NW of OKV then yeah take 50 out. Look forward to your pics for sure.

for some reason Im feeling very jealous of the areas in NC, SW VA , WV and W MD this time around. Probably because it is so historic in nature. Be careful!

Arrived in Davis, West Virginia

Lot of fog coming into the area - not too bad here in the town. Raining - winds are in the 5-10 mph range. Temperatures are in the 40s. Barometer is 29.75"

post-77-0-80107900-1351469597_thumb.jpg

Fog coming into the town

post-77-0-08077900-1351469606_thumb.jpg

Arrived at Meyer House

Jonjon is is very cool I met him a few years back. You need to get a steak at mutleys right around the corner. Beau I assume you have 4 wheel drive?

Jonjon is is very cool I met him a few years back. You need to get a steak at mutleys right around the corner. Beau I assume you have 4 wheel drive?

We had some issues this morning with the SUV - we are in a smaller vehicle. Not going to stress on it, though, and are prepared for whatever happens. Will be happy if power stays on through this event. I am skeptical - believe widespread power outages are likely.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

840 PM EDT SUN OCT 28 2012

...ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL AND HIGH WIND EXPECTED FOR THE HIGHER

ELEVATIONS...

.POST TROPICAL CYCLONE SANDY WILL INTERACT WITH A COLD UPPER LOW

AND RESULT IN HEAVY SNOW AND HIGH WIND OVER THE HIGHER

ELEVATIONS.

VAZ503-504-WVZ501-503-505-506-290845-

/O.UPG.KLWX.WS.A.0005.121029T2200Z-121031T1200Z/

/O.NEW.KLWX.BZ.W.0001.121029T2000Z-121031T1200Z/

WESTERN HIGHLAND-EASTERN HIGHLAND-WESTERN GRANT-WESTERN MINERAL-

WESTERN PENDLETON-EASTERN PENDLETON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HIGHTOWN...MONTEREY...BAYARD...

MOUNT STORM...ELK GARDEN...CIRCLEVILLE...FRANKLIN

840 PM EDT SUN OCT 28 2012

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM MONDAY TO 8 AM EDT

WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM MONDAY

TO 8 AM EDT WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN

EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...HEAVY WET SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES THROUGH TUESDAY. ADDITIONAL

ACCUMULATIONS EXPECTED TUESDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING...RAIN CHANGING TO SNOW LATE MONDAY AFTERNOON AND

CONTINUING UNTIL WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...AROUND FREEZING.

* WINDS...WEST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH.

Archived