SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Sandy Snow Chase(rs) - Major Snow Event

BeauDodson

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see Tucker County wasn't included in the winter storm watch - Davis area. Curious about that subject. Counties southwest of there are in the watch - a few counties so far.

I imagine if the low tracks right into MD, like the euro depicts, it would bring warmer air and a changeover to rain into Garrett county/Davis area.

I see Tucker County wasn't included in the winter storm watch - Davis area. Curious about that subject. Counties southwest of there are in the watch - a few counties so far.

Beau,

Different WFOs handle that area. PBZ forecasts for Preston and Tucker Cos. and they haven't hoisted warnings yet. RLX has the WSWs up.

Beau,

Different WFOs handle that area. PBZ forecasts for Preston and Tucker Cos. and they haven't hoisted warnings yet. RLX has the WSWs up.

I talked to Jon this morning - didn't realize that was Pittsburgh. I see HPC winter maps are on-board for a big event.

Track details - track details. Can't say I have ever looked at trying to forecast snowfall totals with a land falling hurricane. Will be interesting to see how the thermal profiles play out in each county.

NWS starting to come around for some snow even close to me.

THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW TUESDAY THROUGH

WEDNESDAY AT ELEVATIONS ABOVE 1500 FEET IN WESTERN MARYLAND...THE

POTOMAC HIGHLANDS OF EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA AND THE NORTHERN

SHENANDOAH VALLEY.

I am at 1050 feet so not directly at my house most likely. But on the ridges around me I should see some snow. Gonna be an interesting next couple of days.

I would be coming in from the south, anyway how does the beckley area look, the clown maps from the euro, nam, and gfs hammer them pretty good. 850 temps look easily cold enough, but what about the rest of the column? I don't wanna be in a slopfest.

I would be coming in from the south, anyway how does the beckley area look, the clown maps from the euro, nam, and gfs hammer them pretty good. 850 temps look easily cold enough, but what about the rest of the column? I don't wanna be in a slopfest.

I 77(wva tpk) could be closed if the snow falls fast and furious, but Beckley has elevation which is nice.

Definitely a tough call for Tucker County - obviously some areas will be mostly or all snow - Snowshoe. Tucker County - storm track on GFS and NAM make it iffy, at best. Thermal profiles are probably going to depend on the exact track - that won't be known until perhaps Sunday night. We are going to head to Davis Sunday - if things don't look good by Monday morning then we can always head to Snowshoe - would rather see the storm away from Snowshoe. Power outages could be a problem is heavy/wet snow falls.

The 1-2 feet preliminary prediction from NWS Charleston for the higher elevations of Pocahontas and Randolph counties is (amazingly) probably conservative. The NAM and GFS are both pumping out 3-6+ of precip, much of which would be snow, at least in the high spots. Just an incredible storm setup and something I never thought I would see. I'm thinking of going out to my families cabin in Pocahontas County to see this.

The 1-2 feet preliminary prediction from NWS Charleston for the higher elevations of Pocahontas and Randolph counties is (amazingly) probably conservative. The NAM and GFS are both pumping out 3-6+ of precip, much of which would be snow, at least in the high spots. Just an incredible storm setup and something I never thought I would see. I'm thinking of going out to my families cabin in Pocahontas County to see this.

Even the high spots may be dealing with several hours of 6:1 ratios, and at best 9:1 or 10:1 for the duration. But I could see 3' happening somewhere.

The date stamp on that 1-2' forecast from Charleston NWS makes it even more remarkable:

450 PM EDT SAT OCT 27 2012

I 77(wva tpk) could be closed if the snow falls fast and furious, but Beckley has elevation which is nice.

I know we're hypothesizing here, but how likely would you say this is?

I need to go from Va Beach VA to Huntington WV on Tuesday. My plan was to take 64, hopping on 60 to avoid the toll and to get to my final area. I'm in an AWD car but if some of these models play out, it doesn't even look like that's going to matter.

My ultimate destination is St Louis MO on Wednesday. Should I consider just going south around WVA and trying to avoid the entire area? At what point can I even make that decision?

I need to go from Va Beach VA to Huntington WV on Tuesday. My plan was to take 64, hopping on 60 to avoid the toll and to get to my final area. I'm in an AWD car but if some of these models play out, it doesn't even look like that's going to matter.

My ultimate destination is St Louis MO on Wednesday. Should I consider just going south around WVA and trying to avoid the entire area? At what point can I even make that decision?

Areas around Beckley could get hit pretty hard. Once you get closer to Charleston, WV it shouldnt be anywhere near as bad since you drop in elevation and then head west on I 64. As for US 60 the Midland Trail, eh, I wouldnt take it in a heavy wet snowstorm as I 64 from Lewisburg to Beckely and I 77 (WVA tpk) would get the attention in snow removal and salting.

Even if you took US 52 out of Bluefield up along the KY line, you would be dealing with some snow especially as you got into lower elevation along the river to I 64 near Huntington, WV.

No matter what you are going to have to cross the Appalachian Mtns and deal with some sort of snow. Heck you may even see some snow crossing Afton Mtn near Waynesboro, VA on the way.

Okay, thanks. I'm looking into what my options might be with regards to this trip. I'm not much for driving in ridiculous snow and even if we leave a little early, I don't want to wake up the next day in Huntington and be buried in.

I dont think that will happen in Huntington, WV. I doubt they see all that much snow to begin with. If you can make it from VA Beach to Charleston, you should be pretty good to go from there I would tend to think.

Don't take Rt 60, trust me.

They have good snow maintenance on the turnpike. The problem occurs when a truck jackknifes blocking traffic and thus the plows. After the last fiasco before Christmas a couple years ago they installed gates in the middle concrete barriers so traffic can turn around and go the opposite direction. They also setup designated detours. The high elevation areas around Beckley and the one quick up and over mountain before Charleston will probably be the only snowy parts.

I feel you will be alright, but you can take the long southern way of 81 to 40 to 24.

Archived