joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy speculation thread

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be off my rocker for mentioning the GFDL but its a respectable tropical model right? I can only see out to HR126 but by then the low has moved from DC to Western PA and just guessing but maybe all the way to OH if we could see a few more frames. Pressure on the last frame was 958mb. That would no doubt bring some impacts to the Ohio Valley and Great Lakes. Wind for one, and possibly even precip. Not going to guess on precip type. Its fun to see atleast, whether it happens is anyones guess.

I may be off my rocker for mentioning the GFDL but its a respectable tropical model right? I can only see out to HR126 but by then the low has moved from DC to Western PA and just guessing but maybe all the way to OH if we could see a few more frames. Pressure on the last frame was 958mb. That would no doubt bring some impacts to the Ohio Valley and Great Lakes. Wind for one, and possibly even precip. Not going to guess on precip type. Its fun to see atleast, whether it happens is anyones guess.

Yes, but I would be cautious using it farther out in time as this system interacts with the incoming trough/undergoes ET.

Yes, but I would be cautious using it farther out in time as this system interacts with the incoming trough/undergoes ET.

Ya, I was thinking the same thing. It probably is a decent model out over water with full tropical characteristics but not so much over land. Idk, but I feel tonight was a step in the right direction in terms of some members here feeling the effects of this system. Indiana is still on the outside looking in I feel. But the Euro brings snow through most of Ohio and far NE Indiana. Just another nudge west and maybe we could get some light rain/snow plus some decent N/NE winds.

Imagine if this storm were one week later, affecting the coast on election day! Regardless, this storm will probably end up becoming a huge political issue if it does end up striking the coast and becoming a huge inland wind maker. You'll have candidates vowing for a quick recovery or making a big splash about rejecting federal disaster aid depending on the audience they are speaking too.

If this makes landfall around coastal Virginia, it could end up deciding the election. If it continues to produce major winds inland, you'll have swing states like Ohio and PA flocking to get generators to keep the polls open or have to create last minute temporary polling locations. Many were without power for over a week with the remnants of Ike here.

The political fallout from Sandy will probably be one of the more interesting/unusual aspects to take into account with this storm.

A good number of them have measurable precip this far west.

The funny thing about this...I don't really even care if it's rain or snow. Just want to be a part of this beast in some way.

Regardless of how it turns out, it's fascinating to watch. It's one thing for something like this to happen in the middle of the ocean, but throw in the enormous blocking, capture/phasing and uncertainties about when/how this storm transitions, well, nobody can really say they have seen a setup like this for the US very often.

The funny thing about this...I don't really even care if it's rain or snow. Just want to be a part of this beast in some way.

Regardless of how it turns out, it's fascinating to watch. It's one thing for something like this to happen in the middle of the ocean, but throw in the enormous blocking, capture/phasing and uncertainties about when/how this storm transitions, well, nobody can really say they have seen a setup like this for the US very often.

It's certainly an interesting meteorological event to watch unfold.

I'd love to see a few flakes from it if nothing else, but like you, it's doesn't really matter in the grand scheme.

Just an update from NWS here in La Crosse...interesting:

BEYOND THIS TIME FRAME...ALL OF THE INTEREST WILL BE CENTERED UPON

EITHER EXTRATROPICAL OR HURRICANE SANDY. THE ECMWF BRINGS IT INTO

WASHINGTON DC ON MONDAY. THE GEM HAS IT MAKING LANDFALL IN LONG

ISLAND ON MONDAY NIGHT. FINALLY THE GFS HAS IT MAKING LANDFALL IN

NEW FOUNDLAND ON WEDNESDAY. THE FIRST TWO SOLUTIONS KEEPS A RIDGE

OVER OUR AREA. MEANWHILE THE GFS SOLUTION IS INTERESTING BECAUSE

IT TAKES THE SYSTEM THAT MOVES THROUGH TODAY AND BRINGS IT BACK

SOUTHWARD INTO OUR AREA ON WEDNESDAY. THESE TWO SYSTEMS THEN DO

THE FUJIWARA OVER NEW ENGLAND AND QUEBEC. SINCE THERE IS SO MUCH

UNCERTAINTY...JUST KEPT THE FORECAST DRY FOR NOW.

&&

Just taking a very early crack at wind potential, it would appear that widespread gusts of 40-50 mph may be possible on the back side of the low. The pressure change has the potential to be enormous (if the models are anywhere close to correct on the depth of the surface low) but it will also be spread out over a huge area. Not out of the question that winds could be higher in some areas but I think this is a reasonable guess for now.

Archived