• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy speculation thread

snowstormcanuck

Probability of this being of any kind of consequence to most of us in this subforum is low, both because of how many days out it is and the anomalous magnitude of the storm being depicted by the GEM and EURO. Still, IF it were to occur in this fashion, it'd be an elite fall storm, possibly the biggest since the 2010 Octobomb.

GFS remains obstinate. But its ensembles are a little more amenable to the idea of a bigger storm impacting the EC of the US, and possibly further west. I would say about half at the minimum show a "norlun" type setup, with an inverted sfc trough funnelling Atlantic moisture westerly, even if the core of Sandy remains offshore.

post-257-0-01416400-1350993832_thumb.jpg

I have to agree with Stebo that the OP GFS just doesn't look right with its completely OTS solution. With blocking over the north Atlantic to the north of Sandy, it seems unlikely such a progressive solution materializes. That doesn't mean the EURO/GGEM scenario is correct either. But I'd say at a minimum, given the upper level setup, Sandy should track near the GoM (Maine) rather than near Bermuda.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But it doesn't look anymore right than the GFS. Looks like it is over intensifying to fast. Probably should be farther north and weaker in a merge situation.

These barotropic-baroclinic transitions aren't the easiest thing to model though. It'll be interesting to watch the forward speed later... often these seem to be modeled too slowly at farther north latitudes but perhaps that is more perception than reality.

For those wanting to get this farther west, that wave progged into the central US this weekend needs to go to town and amplify as much as possible... it also wouldn't hurt if Sandy isn't several hundred miles offshore at that point. There'd be a shot for it to slingshot pretty far west in that scenario.

But it doesn't look anymore right than the GFS. Looks like it is over intensifying to fast. Probably should be farther north and weaker in a merge situation.

Incorrect, Hoosier defined it nicely as to why this will not be weakening as it merges.

Furthermore there is much more support to the Euro solution, several of the GFS ensemble members are well left of the operational, when that happens it needs to be taken into great consideration. Hell the GFS ensemble mean has a 985mb low into Long Island, for that to be shown this far out is huge.

Furthermore there is much more support to the Euro solution, several of the GFS ensemble members are well left of the operational, when that happens it needs to be taken into great consideration. Hell the GFS ensemble mean has a 985mb low into Long Island, for that to be shown this far out is huge.

To be fair, see below with respect to the GEFS mean.

Only 4 of the members actually capture Sandy wholesale, another 4-5 develop a secondary near that spot, the rest are solidly OTS with a minor event.

A few massive runs in the GEFS skew the mean, really doesn't mean much at all. At this time frame and with such a highly variable set of events which may occur, not uncommon to see large shifts in the ensemble mean itself which means nothing overall.

Regardless, too early for anyone to claim victory or defeat. The relatively consistency of the Euro and its ensembles are encouraging no doubt. Still a ways to go...

To be fair, see below with respect to the GEFS mean.

Regardless, too early for anyone to claim victory or defeat. The relatively consistency of the Euro and its ensembles are encouraging no doubt. Still a ways to go...

True, there is the secondary variable of a coastal low forming irregardless to the phasing.

euro holding serve and the gfs mean trending west are notable...who cares abou the GGEM. Odds of a big east coast storm look to be increasing. Stebo has an outside shot at some light snow.

:thumbsup: Light snow is better than no snow, although I am looking more at the wind potential than anything.

I think if some of those GEFS members were to pan out, a solid 2-4 inches of rain would not be ruled out along with very strong winds to boot. Mike I know it's early but any thoughts as of yet?

I think the GFS is wrong, but the EURO is probably pushing it too much on the other side. Prelim thoughts: predominantly an EC event, with some scraps for us.

It would take a lot to get notable impacts from Sandy or the extra-tropical "remnants" of Sandy into this subforum, BUT the GFS was close to phasing Sandy with the shortwave over the Ohio Valley Sunday morning:

post-525-0-49280700-1351053337_thumb.gif

Even though the GFS hooked Sandy hard right at this point, it was a bit more amplified in the western US and looked closer to the Euro's handling of the central US trough. It took Sandy right into a block after 108 hours which seemed suspect. I'm not trying to argue for impacts in our subforum right now...but, it wouldn't surprise me if the next run or two of the GFS begins looking more like the Euro or 0z Canadian, which were major northeast impacts and were much closer to clipping our subforum with precip and wind.

Archived