joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy speculation thread

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New official report in from Environment Canada. A 75 mph gust was recorded 70 metres above ground on the Bluewater Bridge connecting Sarnia, ON to Port Huron, MI. The official Sarnia measurements were recorded at the airport which is about 2 miles west of the edge of the city and 2 miles south of Lake Huron. The winds may have been even stronger than that within the urban area of the city.

It's also worth nothing that Sarnia, a city of 73,000, was absolutely pounded last night with lakeshore and street flooding,, city-wide blackout(affecting all the city's 30,000 customers), and possibly hundreds of downed trees and hydro lines. Local officials are calling it some of the worst damage they have seen in the city. No estimates are available yet and they are still surveying the damage.

First damage totals are in for Sarnia. Damage in the city will top $10million.

http://www.theobserver.ca/2012/10/30/sarnias-hurricane-damage-will-top-10-million

I might add - to give you an idea of the power of the waves I video taped. The waves that were hitting the breakwater were tossing rocks up to grapefruit sized upwards about 20 feet! Some people were getting a little bit close to the flying rocks too!

Pics from Indiana Dunes are below. A few comments before I post my pics.

It's always neat to experience the difference between winds near the lake and farther inland. It's unrelenting at the shore...it's like there's never a break. The lake had a loud rumbling sound...I was getting sustained winds of 30-40 mph with gusts of 55-60+ during these shots which made it difficult to hold the camera still. Also as mentioned, the sand was blowing like crazy. I'd estimate it was getting blown a couple blocks inland easily. The blurriness in a couple of pics is actually sand being thrown airborne.

The pics really don't do it justice. I can't imagine what it would be like to be on a beach in sustained hurricane force winds.

post-14-0-94423400-1351656153_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-44844300-1351656206_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-67051800-1351656242_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-32861700-1351656285_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-40196700-1351656318_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-23795400-1351656356_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-43207100-1351656450_thumb.jpg

Pics from Indiana Dunes are below. A few comments before I post my pics.

It's always neat to experience the difference between winds near the lake and farther inland. It's unrelenting at the shore...it's like there's never a break. The lake had a loud rumbling sound...I was getting sustained winds of 30-40 mph with gusts of 55-60+ during these shots which made it difficult to hold the camera still. Also as mentioned, the sand was blowing like crazy. I'd estimate it was getting blown a couple blocks inland easily. The blurriness in a couple of pics is actually sand being thrown airborne.

The pics really don't do it justice. I can't imagine what it would be like to be on a beach in sustained hurricane force winds.

It was fun watching a everyone out there get blown around. There was even an older man that showed up with his oxygen tank and tried to give it a go...but didn't last long.

While I was up on the dune/hill for a while winds were frequenty gusting to 60-65mph+.

Did you happen to walk over to that closed parking lot? The sand was really blowing up the hill and over it.

It was fun watching a everyone out there get blown around. There was even an older man that showed up with his oxygen tank and tried to give it a go...but didn't last long.

While I was up on the dune/hill for a while winds were frequenty gusting to 60-65mph+.

Did you happen to walk over to that closed parking lot? The sand was really blowing up the hill and over it.

Nah, I actually wasn't there too long. Place was hopping though when I was there...lots of folks out taking pics/vid.

Almost fell over a few times while walking on the sand lol.

Nice pictures Chicago Storm and Hoosier! Would have gone down to IN Dunes myself, but didn't feel like dealing with rush hour traffic in the morning! It would have been a 2 hour drive at least!

Hopefully the next big wind storm will be out of the NE!

According to CP24 more than 150,000 customers lost power with a peak of 60,000 in Toronto down to 32,000 by 10am. Dozens of schools are closed across the GTA due to the outages and damage. Here is a gallery of the damage across the GTA.

As for Quebec: 49,000 customers lost power with Hydro-Quebec still reporting 32,000 customers without power as of noon.

So, approximately 200,000 customers lost their hydro so far in ON/QC.

Damage here wasn't isolated, but it wasn't much more than what you'd get with a decent summer squall line. Still, as far as direct impact from a tropical system, this was probably the most impressive since Isabel in 2003.

And despite what I've heard local morons say, I don't think it was hyped at all. i think said morons with their gerbil like mental capacity inferred that the type of damage done to the EC was expected here. None of the media outlets I was reading/listening/watching made any such claims in the days leading up to this storm.

We are now at our 69th straight hour of rain here in Cleveland. Only one of those hours didn't record a measurable amount. I didn't think it was possible to have 3 days of nonstop rain in this part of the country.

Since Friday night we've had 94 hours with measurable precipitation. Since Friday night we've recorded 6.59" and 5.37" since Sunday morning.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KCLE.html

We are now at our 69th straight hour of rain here in Cleveland. Only one of those hours didn't record a measurable amount. I didn't think it was possible to have 3 days of nonstop rain in this part of the country.

Since Friday night we've had 94 hours with measurable precipitation. Since Friday night we've recorded 6.59" and 5.37" since Sunday morning.

http://www.srh.noaa....story/KCLE.html

Wow, that's impressive.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived