joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy speculation thread

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recon just went through Sandy's eye and found what looks like about a 10 mb drop since the last fix eight hours ago and a peak flight level wind of 96 kt.

We've got a solid Cat. 2 then. Sandy will be crossing about 90 miles of land, probably won't phase it too much.

96kts = 105mph

We've got a solid Cat. 2 then. Sandy will be crossing about 90 miles of land, probably won't phase it too much.

96kts = 105mph

I think you gotta take 80-90% of flight level winds to come up with an estimate for surface though I'm not totally sure. Though it's probably academic as the overall presentation seems to suggests it is not done.

Not just snow on Halloween. Snow on Halloween derived from the moisture of a tropical storm/hurricane. We had that back with Katrina in November 1999. It's almost surreal when you start thinking about it.

well this run was weird. The 12z GFS keeps Sandy as one big system as it swings around but the 18z GFS pushes into northeast out of the picture as a new sfc low develops under the nrn stream trof/ULL and moves back west.

I think you gotta take 80-90% of flight level winds to come up with an estimate for surface though I'm not totally sure. Though it's probably academic as the overall presentation seems to suggests it is not done.

Which was Peak Flight Level winds @ 700mb. Top SFMR winds were 79kts (90mph)

It's undergoing RI yes, but it's not a 95-100kt storm just yet.

Yeah I just thought... that's probably flight level.

That would be pretty cool to see snow on Halloween from the resulting ULL!

Edit: Has there ever been snow in this region that was associated with left over tropical moisture?

0z GFS hinting at some possible LES in northeast IL/northwest IN monday morning..

Probably a mix in most areas just like the wraparound precip indicated Tuesday night into Wednesday in the Great Lakes region. That said, it looks decent, showing nearly a tenth of an inch of precip, and models tend to be unable to capture the magnitude of lake effect events.

Archived