• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Mid to late October disco/banter thread.

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This storm wraps up the NAO ridge so much, it may screw up the cold for the beginning of November..lol. It will cool off, but not sure of the magnitude.

Do you mean we end up with too much ridging and the cold being pushed to the other side of the globe?

EDIT: To me, it looks as if the 12z ECM brings a decent cold shot with -4C 850s around NYC and -8C in the OH Valley. However, we are back to having a vortex over Alaska at the end of the run, so the real cold is starting to move back into the Arctic.

Do you mean we end up with too much ridging and the cold being pushed to the other side of the globe?

EDIT: To me, it looks as if the 12z ECM brings a decent cold shot with -4C 850s around NYC and -8C in the OH Valley. However, we are back to having a vortex over Alaska at the end of the run, so the real cold is starting to move back into the Arctic.

It means the cold may be directed more west and then southwest for now. The AK low does form, but it's oriented to give a little bit of a PNA ridge. What it does do, is allow Canada to warm up bit with Pacific flow. However, the -NAO and weak ridging in the west keep more NW flow here, so it's a cool pattern for us overall I think.

It means the cold may be directed more west and then southwest for now. The AK low does form, but it's oriented to give a little bit of a PNA ridge. What it does do, is allow Canada to warm up bit with Pacific flow. However, the -NAO and weak ridging in the west keep more NW flow here, so it's a cool pattern for us overall I think.

The low cuts pretty far west on the 12z ECM, and a lot of the other runs, so that would of course mean the cold air would be strongest behind the low towards the Ohio Valley. This would also fit the pattern since August where the most intense cold shots are occurring well to the west of New England and the Mid Atlantic over the Upper Lakes and Midwest. I wouldn't be surprised if this is yet another example of this phenomenon.

At Day 10 on the 12z ECM, I also don't see a true -NAO...it's displaced south and thus is creating more of a Maritimes High, which is the opposite of what you see in the classic cold/snowy -NAO patterns. This looks like the type of pattern where the cold would moderate a bit more than it would if we had the block farther north atop Greenland:

The low cuts pretty far west on the 12z ECM, and a lot of the other runs, so that would of course mean the cold air would be strongest behind the low towards the Ohio Valley. This would also fit the pattern since August where the most intense cold shots are occurring well to the west of New England and the Mid Atlantic over the Upper Lakes and Midwest. I wouldn't be surprised if this is yet another example of this phenomenon.

At Day 10 on the 12z ECM, I also don't see a true -NAO...it's displaced south and thus is creating more of a Maritimes High, which is the opposite of what you see in the classic cold/snowy -NAO patterns. This looks like the type of pattern where the cold would moderate a bit more than it would if we had the block farther north atop Greenland:

I'm going by the ensembles though.

I'm going by the ensembles though.

Can you post the link? Raleigh isn't working for me so I was using the OP.

The 12z GFS ENS sort of confirm what I was saying, however. It's definitely a powerful block, but the block is positioned a bit south of Greenland. However, the block has a wonderful connection with a -AO, and the higher heights extend all the way back to Siberia, so we should see some colder air here:

When is this pattern change and cold supposed to set in, right around Halloweenie.......looking at ens looks to me like ridging in the east as the one eyed pig has another return engagement. Mid Novie.......patience.

Well with this storm potentially flooding eastern Canada with Atlantic air, it may take a while, or not materialize as modeled earlier. It's all dependent of the low. If it's further east, that would allow for a potentially cooler start to November. This pattern would probably be ok in the winter, but you don't have much cold established this time of year unless you get a plunge from central Canada. It definitely cools off though, I think that part is a given.

Well with this storm potentially flooding eastern Canada with Atlantic air, it may take a while, or not materialize as modeled earlier. It's all dependent of the low. If it's further east, that would allow for a potentially cooler start to November. This pattern would probably be ok in the winter, but you don't have much cold established this time of year unless you get a plunge from central Canada. It definitely cools off though, I think that part is a given.

What about later, into Mid-Late NOV? Are we looking at a colder pattern then?

More of a concern is the reemergence of the GOA low and how long it hangs around before it retrogrades if at all

There is a big block in NE Siberia which teleconnects to this low. This is also shown in the weeklies which at week 4 probably has one of the strongest signals I've ever seen. At week 4, it also tries to shift east. I think an H5 trough as oriented is ok for us since it does try to pump up Canadian ridging. But for me, it's sort of a risk to take and there is the chance that it takes on a rather hostile configuration in winter as the wavelengths change. As of now, it is sort of stationary and hinting at trying to redevelop southwest, but that is beyond 2 weeks out.

I think DT summed it up the best in his winter outlook, "everything right now hemispherically is in a state of flux", I would think this is pretty typical just prior to a pattern change. One thing is for sure, we are in a much better position right now then this time last year, where things go from here is still yet to be determined.

Archived