12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October 13-14 Severe Threat

Hoosier

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guarded about the threat tomorrow. Surface low should be deepening fairly rapidly and wind fields will be strong, but uncertain about instability. Threat would go way up if we can get CAPE over 1000 north of the OH River where the best wind fields are, but it's looking questionable. Still, it won't take very deep convection to try to mix some wind to the surface and could be looking at strong/potentially damaging gusts outside of convection anyway.

I'm guarded about the threat tomorrow. Surface low should be deepening fairly rapidly and wind fields will be strong, but uncertain about instability. Threat would go way up if we can get CAPE over 1000 north of the OH River where the best wind fields are, but it's looking questionable. Still, it won't take very deep convection to try to mix some wind to the surface and could be looking at strong/potentially damaging gusts outside of convection anyway.

Yeah it could definitely use more instability, but I like this little setup. Love the quickly strengthening surface low at that time of the day. Very nice vort max moving in as well. With so much ambient vorticity and the strong wind fields this is definitely one to watch. The 4km NAM breaks out some sunshine over Indiana late in the morning. If the area ends up getting a little more sun than expected this could end up being a real good setup IMO. Of course the opposite could happen with more clouds. Highly conditional setup.

The surface low has shifted south throughout the day towards the area of maximum upper level divergence associated with the jet and is consolidating, located over southern Nebraska at the moment with a minimum sea level pressure of 998 mb.

The position of the upper level trough with respect to the Rockies is amplifying the system quite a bit right now, all the westerly flow across the Rockies associated with the trough is contributing to leeside cyclogenesis, so the trough is deepening. This is leading to a stronger jet streak, intensifying the surface low.

Kind of makes you wonder if they'll change it back eventually after seeing 50 on the map so many times.

I've wished that there was another parameter on there even before this change...something that would take into account the amount of directional shear. High helicity doesn't necessarily mean there's a lot of directional shear, which is obviously pretty important for tornadoes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SPC pushed the risk area further north into Southern Lower Michigan with the next update.

I'm not so sure. Even though it wouldn't take much of a storm to get severe-level winds to the surface, there may be very little CAPE to work with to aid in development. For example, the WRF is showing 1000+ j/kg south of Indy, but very little north of there. I have no doubt that there will be a few wind damage reports, but they may be from non-thunderstorm winds. Now, if we can get a some sun up here, all bets are off, but I'm afraid we'll be socked in except for a short period of time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SPC pushed the risk area further north into Southern Lower Michigan with the next update.

I'm not so sure. Even though it wouldn't take much of a storm to get severe-level winds to the surface, there may be very little CAPE to work with to aid in development. For example, the WRF is showing 1000+ j/kg south of Indy, but very little north of there. I have no doubt that there will be a few wind damage reports, but they may be from non-thunderstorm winds. Now, if we can get a some sun up here, all bets are off, but I'm afraid we'll be socked in except for a short period of time.

Well...color me wrong. SPC moved the slight risk up to to IN/MI border. Pretty good sized 5% tor probs too. They still sound uncertain, but the threat could be either from supercells or QLCS. Time to watch the radar!

The northern target was looking interesting on several of the short term/hi-res models last night...many of which showed a broken band of cells developing across N-C IL, down into S-C IL. The question was and still is whether or not the dry slot will clear enough to allow for further heating and destabilization, which appears as if it might happened based on current data.

I might head out possibly as far south as IKK/LAF, but I'll wait a while longer before making the decision given it's a relatively short drive.

The northern target was looking interesting on several of the short term/hi-res models last night...many of which showed a broken band of cells developing across N-C IL, down into S-C IL. The question was and still is whether or not the dry slot will clear enough to allow for further heating and destabilization, which appears as if it will happened based on current data.

I might head out possibly as far south as IKK/LAF, but I'll wait a while longer before making the decision given it's a relatively short drive.

Good luck, if you do indeed head down here.

69/60 with some patches of blue skies in the LAF.

I would like to head out myself, but I can't stray too far. As the county Skywarn coordinator, if we have weather, I need to be around. I might head down 24 toward LAF though.

Call it a party then. :D

Archived