• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 13-14 Severe Threat

Hoosier

Pretty typical fall system on the way for the weekend. SPC has an area outlined for possible severe weather... generally where the best instability is currently being shown.

post-14-0-30802700-1349844115_thumb.gif

As is often the case with these fall systems, the low level/deep level flow looks strong with models showing 850 mb winds ramping up to 50-70 kts and 500 mb winds of 70-80 kts. The shear will be there. We'll have to see about instability but you usually don't need as much at this time of year.

This looks like it could be a substantial event. How far east the threat gets is in question, but with the current scenario I think there would probably be at least a low end threat lingering into overnight Saturday/early Sunday simply due to the strength of the wind fields.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty typical fall system on the way for the weekend. SPC has an area outlined for possible severe weather... generally where the best instability is currently being shown.

day5prob.gif

As is often the case with these fall systems, the low level/deep level flow looks strong with models showing 850 mb winds ramping up to 50-70 kts and 500 mb winds of 70-80 kts. The shear will be there. We'll have to see about instability but you usually don't need as much at this time of year.

This looks like it could be a substantial event. How far east the threat gets is in question, but with the current scenario I think there would probably be at least a low end threat lingering into overnight Saturday/early Sunday simply due to the strength of the wind fields.

I fully agree with everything you mention here, especially the bold part. The key here is that we could end up having a dynamically driven squall line racing ENE with this type of shear, won't take much instability to maintain it then.

I fully agree with everything you mention here, especially the bold part. The key here is that we could end up having a dynamically driven squall line racing ENE with this type of shear, won't take much instability to maintain it then.

I probably shouldn't do this, but if I had to guess at this early juncture, I'd say that if you draw a line along the IL/IN state line and northward along the western shore of LM... 50 miles either side of there will be the zone where this starts to run out of gas. Better hope I'm wrong for your sake. :P

I probably shouldn't do this, but if I had to guess at this early juncture, I'd say that if you draw a line along the IL/IN state line and northward along the western shore of LM... 50 miles either side of there will be the zone where this starts to run out of gas. Better hope I'm wrong for your sake. :P

I agree, and it's called climo around here. :underthewx:;)

Seriously, is it really that likely a scenario that you go into the specifics several days out? I would think given the likelihood of rain associated with the initial WAA Saturday morning, ongoing rain would prevent a massive squall line from even forming.

I agree, and it's called climo around here. :underthewx:;)

Seriously, is it really that likely a scenario that you go into the specifics several days out? I would think given the likelihood of rain associated with the initial WAA Saturday morning, ongoing rain would prevent a massive squall line from even forming.

If that rain is an all day event then it would be a problem. The way it looks now, there should be a break to allow a nice line to form to the west.

On another subject, the CAPE/LCL parts of the SREF sigtor ingredients have been changed to 500 J/kg and 1.5 km, which means that those maps will be looking more bullish in the future.

On another subject, the CAPE/LCL parts of the SREF sigtor ingredients have been changed to 500 J/kg and 1.5 km, which means that those maps will be looking more bullish in the future.

Here is a prime example. 50 probs on the old sigtor ingredients more than 72 hours out would lead to mass hysteria.

SREF_prob_combined_sigtor__f081.gif

Given that this is a low instability/high shear setup, this one is particularly sensitive to the CAPE change.

Here is a prime example. 50 probs on the old sigtor ingredients more than 72 hours out would lead to mass hysteria.

SREF_prob_combined_sigtor__f081.gif

Given that this is a low instability/high shear setup, this one is particularly sensitive to the CAPE change.

I looked at the map without reading anything prior and nearly pissed my pants. What happens when a "real" set up comes along?

I looked at the map without reading anything prior and nearly pissed my pants. What happens when a "real" set up comes along?

Well, there will be high probs over a huge area I guess.

The old one wasn't ideal by any means but not a big fan of this change. Just gonna have to use with even more caution than before.

00z runs seem to be leaving more energy behind farther south.

I noticed that the low is quite a bit farther south. Low passes over Milwaukee about. Severe weather threat area more likely in IL, IA, and MO. - not WI probably.

00z runs seem to be leaving more energy behind farther south.

Indiana/Michigan/Ohio looking more likely for severe on the 14th to me. As far as on Saturday the best threat looks to stay west of I-35 to me. East of there will get late night leftovers. If I had a dime for every time this type of setup skips over the DVN area and impacts areas to the east I'd have lots of dimes.

day3prob_0730.gif

DAY 3 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0228 AM CDT THU OCT 11 2012

VALID 131200Z - 141200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS SAT INTO SAT NIGHT ACROSS PARTS

OF THE MID/UPPER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY INTO THE UPPER GREAT

LAKES...SOUTHWARD INTO THE SOUTHERN PLAINS...

...SYNOPSIS...

MODELS INDICATE THAT SPLIT BELTS OF STRONGER WESTERLIES WILL BEGIN

TO CONSOLIDATE ACROSS NORTH AMERICA DURING THIS FORECAST PERIOD...AS

THE REMNANT SOUTHERN STREAM CLOSED LOW CONTINUES ITS EAST

NORTHEASTWARD ACCELERATION OUT OF THE SOUTHWEST. VARIABILITY IS

INCREASING AMONG THE MODEL DATA CONCERNING THE EVOLUTION OF THIS

FEATURE...FROM WHICH A COUPLE OF MORE DISTINCT SMALLER SCALE

IMPULSES COULD EMERGE AS IT PROGRESSES EAST OF THE ROCKIES INTO THE

PLAINS/MISSISSIPPI VALLEY REGION. NAM/SREF APPEAR TO MAINTAIN THE

INITIAL CIRCULATION FORECAST TO REACH THE CENTRAL HIGH PLAINS BY 12Z

SATURDAY AS THE PRIMARY UPPER IMPULSE...AND ACCELERATE IT EASTWARD

INTO THE UPPER GREAT LAKES BY 12Z SUNDAY...MUCH AS GENERALLY HAS

BEEN INDICATED BY MEDIUM RANGE GUIDANCE THE PAST FEW DAYS.

HOWEVER...THE GFS SUGGESTS THAT A DISTINCT SECONDARY

IMPULSE...TRAILING TO THE SOUTHWEST...MAY BECOME THE MORE PROMINENT

IMPULSE SATURDAY...AS IT LIFTS EAST OF THE SOUTHERN ROCKIES...ACROSS

THE SOUTH CENTRAL HIGH PLAINS INTO THE MIDDLE MISSISSIPPI VALLEY.

ECMWF ALSO NOW IS MORE SUGGESTIVE THAT STRONGER MID-LEVEL FORCING

MAY DEVELOP SOUTH OF THE INITIAL IMPULSE...BUT NORTH OF THAT OF THE

GFS.

REGARDLESS...ALL GUIDANCE INDICATES THE CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT OF A

SUB-1000 MB SURFACE LOW...GENERALLY EAST OF THE MIDDLE MISSOURI

VALLEY TOWARD THE GREAT LAKES REGION. WITHIN THE WARM SECTOR OF

THIS FEATURE...AND SOUTHWARD AHEAD OF THE TRAILING COLD FRONT/DRY

LINE ADVANCING EASTWARD THROUGH THE SOUTHERN PLAINS...A BROAD

SOUTHERLY 850 MB JET IS FORECAST TO STRENGTHEN FROM 50-70

KT...BENEATH A 70+ KT SOUTHWESTERLY 500 MB JET. THIS WILL

CONTRIBUTE TO THE NORTHWARD ADVECTION OF SEASONABLY HIGH MOISTURE

CONTENT AIR /PRECIPITABLE WATER UP AROUND 1.5+ INCHES/...WITH 60F+

SURFACE DEW POINTS AS FAR NORTH AS PORTIONS OF THE UPPER MISSISSIPPI

VALLEY.

DESTABILIZATION SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT TO SUPPORT WIDESPREAD

CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT...INCLUDING PERHAPS CONSIDERABLE POTENTIAL

FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS FROM PORTIONS OF THE UPPER MISSISSIPPI

VALLEY SOUTHWARD THROUGH THE SOUTHERN PLAINS.

Went ahead and extended it into Sunday as it looks like there could be continuation/regeneration but details are a bit sketchy.

I am thinking more so continuation, whatever forms should be dynamically driven as it moves ENE into the Lakes, although the NAM does not drop off instability as much as to be expected overnight Saturday so things could be rocking well after dark.

from LOT..

SATURDAY EVENING AND NIGHT ARE ANOTHER STORY. THE COLD FRONT SWINGS

THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING/NIGHT. IF SEVERE WEATHER OCCURS IT WILL BE

ALONG THE COLD FRONT. 0-6 KM SHEAR WILL STILL BE PLENTIFUL THROUGH

THE FROPA...AND 0-1 KM SHEAR SPIKES TO ARND 40 KT AHEAD OF THE COLD

FRONT. THEREFORE AREAS OF ROTATION AND TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE ALONG

THE COLD FRONT. THE MAIN QUESTION IS WHAT KIND OF ATMOSPHERE WILL

THE COLD FRONT MOVE INTO. IF SOME OF THE AREA CLEARS OUT AND IS

ABLE TO WARM/DESTABILIZE...WE COULD SEE A STRONG SQUALL

LINE/DERECHO MOVE THROUGH THE CWA. HOWEVER...IF THE CLOUD COVER

DOES NOT DISSIPATE...WHICH IS THE MORE LIKELY SITUATION RIGHT

NOW...THE COLD FRONT AND ASSOCIATED LINE OF PRECIP WILL BE MOVING

INTO A WORKED OVER ENVIRONMENT. LOCALIZED SPIN UPS AND ISOLATED

SEVERE WEATHER WOULD BE FAVORED IN THIS SECOND ENVIRONMENT.

GUIDANCE IN GENERAL IS FAVORING THE SECOND SCENARIO WITH CAPE

DWINDLING TO 500 J/KG OR LESS AS THE COLD FRONT MOVES THROUGH.

WILL NOTE HOWEVER...THAT THE LOW PRESSURE WILL BE DEEPENING AS IT

PASSES BY SO FORCING FROM THE LOW ITSELF MAY PROVIDE SYNOPTIC

ASCENT.

I'm not so sure about that. If something good can get going...moisture/theta-e advection impressive from 18-3z and mid-level flow/LLJ only increase as the evening goes on. I guess it all depends on how much sfc heating we see here and points west.

The factors you mentioned will work toward countering any significant nocturnal cooling, so it would help to have a good starting point.

Wind fields are pretty impressive late Saturday into Sunday so it won't take much in the way of robust convection to mix some of that down toward the surface.

The factors you mentioned will work toward countering any significant nocturnal cooling, so it would help to have a good starting point.

Wind fields are pretty impressive late Saturday into Sunday so it won't take much in the way of robust convection to mix some of that down toward the surface.

Here is a wind profile and hodograph for DVN for 0z Saturday evening off the 18z GFS. Obviously supportive of strong tornadoes but probably won't have but if we were to see more sun than thought it's something to watch as those wind fields only increase.

I'm not so sure about that. If something good can get going...moisture/theta-e advection impressive from 18-3z and mid-level flow/LLJ only increase as the evening goes on. I guess it all depends on how much sfc heating we see here and points west.

Agree 100% the wind shear and mean flow are going to be substantial, if something were to form it won't run out of gas when it hits Lake Michigan

I'm just not seeing much sun the cards...this looks like a low end squall event....much better action towards the quad cities.

I agree with the lack of sun deal too. Looks to be quite a bit of rain moving in early with the warm front. I'm expecting a line of storms and not so much of a derecho!

Clouds seem to like to linger around lately!

Archived