amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 13-14 Severe Threat

Hoosier

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If nothing else, I can definitely see some High Wind Warnings going out for the GL/OV on Sunday.

Ideally, everything would need to slow down JUST a couple more hours for it to take advantage of peak heating ,but with the 60kts at 850mb and the Vort Max moving through there's no question that we're going to see widespread 45-60 MPH wind gusts outside of convection.

As far as the Mississippi Valley and Upper Midwest, I don't forsee an actual derecho (a term that's thrown around way too loosely), mostly because the winds are parallel to the front (normally I like to see strong due westerly UL winds when looking for an ideal derecho setup). If any portion of the squall line bows out and picks up the forward propagating speed, it will be the portion in Central/Southern Illinois as it presses into Indiana Saturday night/Sunday morning.

That said, any mode of convection in this setup can likely produce strong derecho-like winds (due to downward momentum).

The NAM has a tongue of lower dewpoints (can be seen best by looking at 850 mb dewpoints...it runs from central IL SSWrd at 6z Sunday). Anyone know what is causing that?

Drier air at 850mb rounding the base of the ridge, I would question if it is overdone though. especially considering all the moist air surrounding it.

Some strong wording from Grand Rapids with their AFD

I AM BECOMING INCREASINGLY CONCERNED ABOUT POTENTIAL FOR A FEW

STRONG TO SEVERE STORMS SATURDAY. BULK SHEAR VALUES WILL BE WAY

UP AROUND 50 TO 55 KTS. HIGH 0-1 AND 0-3 SRH VALUES ARE EXPECTED

ESPECIALLY NEAR TO JUST NORTH OF THE SFC WARM FRONT AND LOW LCL

HEIGHTS ARE LIKELY IN THAT SAME AREA.

THIS SITUATION WILL NEED TO BE MONITORED VERY CLOSELY FOR POTENTIAL

FOR AN ISOLATED TORNADO. THIS IN ADDITION TO MORE GENERAL SEVERE WX

THREATS SUCH AS ELEVATED STORMS WITH HAIL AND STORMS WITH STRONG

WINDS AND LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL.

THE WARM FRONT SHOULD MAKE A STRONGER PUSH NORTHWARD SATURDAY NIGHT

AND FOCUS MOST OF THE RAIN AND THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS NORTHERN TO

NORTH CENTRAL LOWER MI. THIS ACTIVITY SHOULD IMPACT OUR NORTHERN

COUNTIES WITH A THREAT FOR HEAVY RAINFALL AS 1000-850 MB MOISTURE

TRANSPORT RAMPS UP CONSIDERABLY SATURDAY NIGHT ALONG WITH THE

NOCTURNAL LLJ STRENGTHENING FURTHER TO 50-55 KTS BY 12Z SUN.

THEN FOR SUNDAY ALL OF OUR FCST AREA WILL LIKELY BE IN THE WARM

SECTOR WITH THE APPROACHING SFC LOW AND COLD FRONT BRINGING

POTENTIAL FOR A SQUALL LINE ALONG OR JUST AHEAD OF THE FRONT WITH

BOWING SEGMENTS. IN ADDITION BULK SHEAR VALUES OF 40-50 KTS ARE

SUPPORTIVE OF POTENTIAL FOR A FEW SUPERCELLS BOTH EMBEDDED WITHIN

THE SQUALL LINE AND OUT AHEAD OF IT FROM 12Z SUNDAY THROUGH (AT

LEAST) MID AFTN SUNDAY UNTIL THE FRONT CLEARS OUR AREA.

SB CAPES WILL LIKELY ONLY REACH 500 TO LESS THAN A 1000 J/KG. EVEN

SO THIS IN CONJUNCTION WITH FAVORABLE BULK SHEAR WOULD BE SUFFICIENT

AS SHEAR WILL COMPENSATE FOR RELATIVELY WEAK INSTABILITY. ALSO... IT

IS NOTED 00Z ECMWF IS A BIT SLOWER WITH THE COLD FRONTAL PASSAGE. SO

IT COULD WELL END UP THAT THE COLD FRONT WILL NOT CLEAR OUR AREA

UNTIL SUNDAY EVENING... WHICH HAS IMPLICATIONS FOR THE SVR WX THREAT

OVER OUR AREA THAT WOULD LINGER UNTIL THEN. THE MAIN MITIGATING

FACTOR GOING AGAINST SVR WX POTENTIAL SUNDAY WILL BE THE LACK OF

STRONGER SFC BASED INSTABILITY.

Significant differences in the instability progs for tomorrow. NAM has about 1000 J/kg CAPE in N IL at 00z while the GFS has much less. GFS is keeping temps in the low-mid 60s while the NAM is more like 65-70.

I' tend to think the NAM has a more realistic view of the thermodynamics compared to the GFS, considering the GFS has a persistent low BL temp bias.

Looks like the NAM has gone back to the stronger solution.

It has a decent squall line blasting across OH/IN Sunday afternoon, with 40-45kts of wind shear around 925mb across MI/OH/IN/SW ON.

Even if there's no convection, or if any convection's not severe, most areas that get into the warm sector will still probably see non-t'storm wind gusts greater than 50 MPH.

Was hoping that the SPC would push SLIGHT risk further north for Sunday but they are sticking to there guns. Oh well...

They're too far south with the northern extent of the slight. No doubt that will be expanded north on later outlooks.

As expected northwest IL went from 30% probs to barely in the eastern end of the slight.

They're too far south with the northern extent of the slight. No doubt that will be expanded north on later outlooks.

As expected northwest IL went from 30% probs to barely in the eastern end of the slight.

I think that in later outlooks NW IL will be upped the problem is that it will probably after dark action. I also agree with respect to Sunday and the Northern parts of the outlook or lack there of.

Looks like the NAM has gone back to the stronger solution.

It has a decent squall line blasting across OH/IN Sunday afternoon, with 40-45kts of wind shear around 925mb across MI/OH/IN/SW ON.

Even if there's no convection, or if any convection's not severe, most areas that get into the warm sector will still probably see non-t'storm wind gusts greater than 50 MPH.

I'm kind of surprised that neither IND or IWX put up wind advisories for tomorrow. I guess they are waiting one more forecast cycle.

Pretty solid non-severe complex over Iowa now, should move ENE and eventually E toward Chicago and Lower Michigan.

the latest NAM is a real soaker for the region...I think some of the further north solutions are going to be hard to come by if the front stays so convectively active. Expecting 1.5" or so for MBY

the latest NAM is a real soaker for the region...I think some of the further north solutions are going to be hard to come by if the front stays so convectively active. Expecting 1.5" or so for MBY

Possible, though I think considering the magnitude of the LLJ, I think the front should at least lift into Chicago and into Southern Lower Michigan.

I'm kind of surprised that neither IND or IWX put up wind advisories for tomorrow. I guess they are waiting one more forecast cycle.

I'd bet $$ that it will be coming soon. The 12z runs would put some areas near high wind warning criteria. Even going conservative would mean that advisory criteria shouldn't be too difficult.

Archived