• Last Reply

The "initial" low didn't exactly go that far nw:

WELL DEFINED SHORT WAVE TROUGH HEADING INTO LOWER MICHIGAN AT MID

AFTERNOON...ASSOCIATED SURFACE LOW NOW GETTING STRETCHED OUT FROM

NORTHERN ILLINOIS (INITIAL PRIMARY LOW) INTO NORTHWEST LOWER

MICHIGAN (SECONDARY DEVELOPMENT). THIS LATTER LOW WILL BECOME THE

PRIMARY FEATURE OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL HOURS AS UPPER WAVE LEAVES THE

ILLINOIS LOW BEHIND.

Cool day here. Did some unintentional storm chasing today... Was driving west when that first severe storm moved through Oakland, saw a ragged but large wall cloud. Just missed the heavy rain and saw some intense looking rain shafts. Then with the cell that just moved through, saw the edge of a nice shelf cloud after it already passed overhead.

Now heading west again and watching the lighting from the line ahead... Totally didn't expect any of this.

Well, one last kick in the crotch from the chase season of 2012 lol. Decided what the hell and went out this afternoon hoping things would overachieve. Was hoping to see some decent low-topped action, with an outside shot at a brief tornado. Ended up making it as far east as just west of Joliet. I waited a little too late to head out, so it took me awhile to catch the back side of the storms. I finally got ahead of the line and punched into the warmer air near Ottawa on I-80. Was nice to see the outside temp reading on the truck jump up to 70. Noticed the tornado warned storm just to the north but it was hauling ass to the northeast, and wasn't catchable. It quickly became clear that tornado prospects were pretty much done when the broken line congealed into a solid line around 3pm. Waited a bit, but then punched back west through the incoming squall line. Nothing special, but somewhat entertaining given it was October. It was pretty cool watching how the sky transitioned from very convective in nature to a much colder/stratus type look as I blasted back west behind the line into the post-frontal region. By the time I made it back towards I-39 the outside temp had crashed back into the mid 50s with a heavy/dense drizzle blowing in on strong west winds.

One of the only few pics I took (cell pic) west of Joliet. Linear as hell.

blahcp.jpg

Well, one last kick in the crotch from the chase season of 2012 lol. Decided what the hell and went out this afternoon hoping things would overachieve. Was hoping to see some decent low-topped action, with an outside shot at a brief tornado. Ended up making it as far east as just west of Joliet. I waited a little too late to head out, so it took me awhile to catch the back side of the storms. I finally got ahead of the line and punched into the warmer air near Ottawa on I-80. Was nice to see the outside temp reading on the truck jump up to 70. Noticed the tornado warned storm just to the north but it was hauling ass to the northeast, and wasn't catchable. It quickly became clear that tornado prospects were pretty much done when the broken line congealed into a solid line around 3pm. Waited a bit, but then punched back west through the incoming squall line. Nothing special, but somewhat entertaining given it was October. It was pretty cool watching how the sky transitioned from very convective in nature to a much colder/stratus type look as I blasted back west behind the line into the post-frontal region. By the time I made it back towards I-39 the outside temp had crashed back into the mid 50s with a heavy/dense drizzle blowing in on strong west winds.

One of the only few pics I took (cell pic) west of Joliet. Linear as hell.

blahcp.jpg

Looks like we may get into a more active pattern with a storm track through the upper Midwest. There may be more opportunities to get screwed before months end. :guitar:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

1154 PM CDT SUN OCT 14 2012

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0228 PM TORNADO 4 NNW ROSELLE 42.03N 88.10W

10/14/2012 COOK IL BROADCAST MEDIA

VIDEO FROM FOX NEWS CHICAGO OF TORNADO OVER LAKE VOLKENING IN SCHAUMBURG. ALSO REPORTS OF TREES DOWNED AND DAMAGE TO ROOFS.

NWS CHICAGO WILL BE CONDUCTING A STORM SURVEY IN THE MORNING.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

1154 PM CDT SUN OCT 14 2012

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0228 PM TORNADO 4 NNW ROSELLE 42.03N 88.10W

10/14/2012 COOK IL BROADCAST MEDIA

VIDEO FROM FOX NEWS CHICAGO OF TORNADO OVER LAKE VOLKENING IN SCHAUMBURG. ALSO REPORTS OF TREES DOWNED AND DAMAGE TO ROOFS.

NWS CHICAGO WILL BE CONDUCTING A STORM SURVEY IN THE MORNING.

If this is the video, that's not Volkening Lake...not even close.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/19809653/weekend-storms-could-be-one-of-the-biggest-events-of-2012

Yeah I was surprised they didn't pull the trigger there, however after work in the morning I might take a look down that way and see if there was anything as it's bout 10 miles from airport.

Checked the area out after work and I couldn't even find a single twig down, I was completely surprised to not even find any branches down.

Sunday was the windiest day I think I can ever remember. I was in Clinton county for about 8 hours and as soon as I arrived a huge tree came down in the backyard. Its open country up there so the winds seemed much stronger. By huge tree I mean about 4-5 feet around the base which fell and wiped out another smaller tree. Large limbs came out of other trees as well. And this is before the squall line reached us. At about 7pm the storms hit and I fail to remember the last time I saw winds that strong in a storm. I couldnt believe they werent warned as my estimate was that they were around 60-70mph. Once again we saw more damage, and another large tree fell. I dont know if we got into a brief microburst maybe but the winds in the squall lasted for a solid 3-4 minutes like that before going back to what we had been expirencing all day which was winds around 40-50mph. The drive home was fun, I dodged several large branches or trees in some of the country roads. All in all an awesome day for a weenie such as myself.

Sunday was the windiest day I think I can ever remember. I was in Clinton county for about 8 hours and as soon as I arrived a huge tree came down in the backyard. Its open country up there so the winds seemed much stronger. By huge tree I mean about 4-5 feet around the base which fell and wiped out another smaller tree. Large limbs came out of other trees as well. And this is before the squall line reached us. At about 7pm the storms hit and I fail to remember the last time I saw winds that strong in a storm. I couldnt believe they werent warned as my estimate was that they were around 60-70mph. Once again we saw more damage, and another large tree fell. I dont know if we got into a brief microburst maybe but the winds in the squall lasted for a solid 3-4 minutes like that before going back to what we had been expirencing all day which was winds around 40-50mph. The drive home was fun, I dodged several large branches or trees in some of the country roads. All in all an awesome day for a weenie such as myself.

That's interesting. I was in western Clinton County yesterday (Fickle!), and it wasn't too crazy. I saw some tiny tree branches fall, but nothing major. Maybe I'm desensitized to the high winds out there. I know it's not uncommon for the INDOT RWIS station at I-65 and Highway 28 to get nonconvective sustained winds at 40 mph for an hour or two during these kinds of events.

Did LOT ever put anything out that confirmed a tornado or not in Schaumburg? The Fox Chicago page said they confirmed a tornado, but I don't see any statements.

After a discussion with a few folks last night it was found there was no way in hell that video was from Schaumburg...but it was actually video of a waterspount near LA.

Apparently LOT decided not to send out the survey crew and it has been called wind damage.

That's interesting. I was in western Clinton County yesterday (Fickle!), and it wasn't too crazy. I saw some tiny tree branches fall, but nothing major. Maybe I'm desensitized to the high winds out there. I know it's not uncommon for the INDOT RWIS station at I-65 and Highway 28 to get nonconvective sustained winds at 40 mph for an hour or two during these kinds of events.

Thats wierd, Ive seen alot of wind storms and I was really impressed with yesterday. The wind never let up. I was also near open country so that may have alot to do with it. That squall line that came through I was also impressed with, easily the best storm I've seen all year.

After a discussion with a few folks last night it was found there was no way in hell that video was from Schaumburg...but it was actually video of a waterspount near LA.

Apparently LOT decided not to send out the survey crew and it has been called wind damage.

Thanks. I know that looking at TORD velocity data, there was a tight couplet over Schaumburg, but I hadn't seen any survey information.

I went out for an impromptu chase from South Elgin on Sunday and managed to capture one decent shot with my phone.

post-384-247903.jpg

Archived