12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2012 Fall Banter Thread

Snow_Miser

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen some bad ones, but despite the initialization errors I think the 00z NAM run the night before this nor'easter was the worst short term model run I've ever seen in my life.

At least this is a nice clue for the ensuing winter -- NAM sucks as a short term model too. Right up until the event started, it had big snows for E PA. GFS definitely handled the < 12 hr forecast better, even moreso than the Euro which also had 4"+ for PHL at 12z yesterday.

At least this is a nice clue for the ensuing winter -- NAM sucks as a short term model too. Right up until the event started, it had big snows for E PA. GFS definitely handled the < 12 hr forecast better, even moreso than the Euro which also had 4"+ for PHL at 12z yesterday.

Rgem nailed the storm from 36 hours out.

The real HM thinks this winter will be great :)

Yes.

A bunch of other mets/forecasters also thinking along the lines of that as well for the area. I expect some decent cold air to move into the area by Thanksgiving.

GFS and GEFS have been consistent in their model runs for ridging to begin to return near Greenland at around the Thanksgiving timeframe, with the 18z GFS in particular showing a monster trough during this timeframe.

Sun-Tues look above normal. The rest of the week look to be normal to slightly below.

Wednesday looks below normal. Above normal heights start to rebuild in the east on the GEFS in response to west coast troughing after the transient mid week cool shot moves in, though that ridge doesn't look to be quite as anomalous for the area as the ridge impacting our weather early next week.

I'm not yet convinced that this winter will be a good one snow wise. Need another couple weeks to solidify my thoughts before I put out a winter outlook, but right now I'm mostly conflicted about the NAO/AO signalling. The October Eurasian snow cover was favorable, but there are other correlations (quite strong ones too) that point to a positive NAO.

If I had to make a call right now, it'd be a milder than normal winter with below avg snow.

I'm not yet convinced that this winter will be a good one snow wise. Need another couple weeks to solidify my thoughts before I put out a winter outlook, but right now I'm mostly conflicted about the NAO/AO signalling. The October Eurasian snow cover was favorable, but there are other correlations (quite strong ones too) that point to a positive NAO.

If I had to make a call right now, it'd be a milder than normal winter with below avg snow.

Whats the snowfall average down in C NJ? You guys should be at least halfway there by now..

Yes.

A bunch of other mets/forecasters also thinking along the lines of that as well for the area. I expect some decent cold air to move into the area by Thanksgiving.

GFS and GEFS have been consistent in their model runs for ridging to begin to return near Greenland at around the Thanksgiving timeframe, with the 18z GFS in particular showing a monster trough during this timeframe.

That is usually when we all start to get more sustained cold periods. Hopefully it means the NAO won't stay positive.

Archived