• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2012 Fall Banter Thread

Snow_Miser

Terrible idea IMO. Besides the fact that it's stupid, winter storms are much more unpredictable and short term than hurricanes. Whereas w/ tropics, it's relatively easy to gauge whether a storm will be a doozy or not from 3+ days in advance (and they have a standard method of intensification) often times it's impossible to predict the magnitude of a winter storm until it's occurring. Maybe naming them after it's over would work (I still don't like - naming should be reserved for tropics only). Plus, it would get too subjective. How much snowfall do you need over what geographic area? Where do wind speeds come in? Do we name storms that impact nobody in the northern plains or just the I-95 corridor?

Asking those questions is Futile...the only question we need to ask is......

WHAT ARE OUR RATINGS ?!?!???

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrible idea IMO. Besides the fact that it's stupid, winter storms are much more unpredictable and short term than hurricanes. Whereas w/ tropics, it's relatively easy to gauge whether a storm will be a doozy or not from 3+ days in advance (and they have a standard method of intensification) often times it's impossible to predict the magnitude of a winter storm until it's occurring. Maybe naming them after it's over would work (I still don't like - naming should be reserved for tropics only). Plus, it would get too subjective. How much snowfall do you need over what geographic area? Where do wind speeds come in? Do we name storms that impact nobody in the northern plains or just the I-95 corridor?

I just don't totally understand the point. Having a storm titled "Winter Storm Allen" isn't going to change the preparedness, public view, or response time. It's just silly.

I just don't totally understand the point. Having a storm titled "Winter Storm Allen" isn't going to change the preparedness, public view, or response time. It's just silly.

Agreed, then if you go naming a storm that's progged to put down 15" of snow and it ends up being 4", you've got a wasted name. I don't know how it could even work well before the storm's over. Winter storms are too erratic and unpredictable. We're here trying to nail down totals as the event's ongoing most times.

Winter Storm LaShawnte' on the GFS .. someone alert Margusity.

GFS_3_2012100212_F120_SNOWIN_SURFACE.png

our first named storm of the season? lol this storm naming will probably be one of the most talked about topics this winter. i hope it falls flat on its butt, there really is no point. not only that though the criteria for naming a storm, thats gotta be alot more complicated than our tropical cyclones

I came out of my usual lurker mode about the Weather Channel deciding, on its own, to start naming winter storms. I don't disagree with the idea but it seems to me that this is something the government should have done and controlled, just like it does other big weather decisions in the US.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/36966-twc-going-to-name-winter-storms-this-winter/page__st__175__gopid__1770378#entry1770378

Not sure if it means anything(hope it does) more fallen leaves so early in the season than in previous years.

Plenty of sunny, mild days and cool, crisp nights in September initiated the foliage change a bit earlier than usual. Folks in VT/NH/ME are experiencing one of their most vibrant seasons in awhile due to the ideal September weather pattern. Doesn't mean much going forward, more of a reaction to the pattern that's been in place than a foreteller of the winter.

Plenty of sunny, mild days and cool, crisp nights in September initiated the foliage change a bit earlier than usual. Folks in VT/NH/ME are experiencing one of their most vibrant seasons in awhile due to the ideal September weather pattern. Doesn't mean much going forward, more of a reaction to the pattern that's been in place than a foreteller of the winter.

I noticed that to,a little earlier than previous years.

Although I would love to see snow this winter (and use that snowblower I bought in Feb 2011 and haven't used yet), my wallet is hoping for an easy heating season (or huge drop in oil prices) this year. Have yet to turn the heat on.. 58 degrees in the house yesterday am...

Your blood must be extremely thick...

Archived