• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2012 Fall Banter Thread

Snow_Miser

i went to the very first Tri-state wx conference. It was cool. I met paul kocin and showed him my analysis of a winter storm via maps that I did from my days at Kean Univ. That was part of the material that my prof gave me. He was really intrigued by it. I was thinking maybe going to the 4th conference coming up next month. Then I just read that Lonnie Quinn was going to be the MC.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am noticing a tad of color here and there...moreso than most years which I think the very first color IMBY starts around October 1. I think the dryness of the previous 2-3 weeks helped with this...instead of the usual deluge we get in Aug/Sept we finally had a dry period. Might be an early leafdrop this year to reverse the trend

I am noticing a tad of color here and there...moreso than most years which I think the very first color IMBY starts around October 1. I think the dryness of the previous 2-3 weeks helped with this...instead of the usual deluge we get in Aug/Sept we finally had a dry period. Might be an early leafdrop this year to reverse the trend

last few weeks have had many days with low humidity and Sunny warm days and clear cool nights..those conditions always help with leaf change..a few more weeks like this it is gonna be a great color season

sneaky beach day today...enjoy the near 80 summer like temps today everyone! How fitting for summer to end and fall to begin with a warm day

I think the same can be said for most first days of seasons in the past few years - "they start with a warmer than average day." Hopefully it's something that changes in the near future.

Anyone know what type of tree this is? It's already nearing peak color. I've noticed the past few years it usually drops all its leaves by October 15th at the latest (last year) and I've seen it bare as early as the first week of Oct. With it already at peak, it'll probably be bare by the end of September.

5ogq5d.jpg

Anyone know what type of tree this is? It's already nearing peak color. I've noticed the past few years it usually drops all its leaves by October 15th at the latest (last year) and I've seen it bare as early as the first week of Oct. With it already at peak, it'll probably be bare by the end of September.

5ogq5d.jpg

Dogwood?

5ogq5d.jpg

I've been wondering that myself. I have one of those right in front of my house. It's turning red already.

Its definitely an American Dogwood. Not exactly the best tree I believe they suffer from a blight which would explain the early leaf drop.

Indeed many I see around the neighborhood have dead limbs.

By far the worst tree though is the Norway Maple. If there's a tree that looks like crap odds are it's a Norway Maple. I would say a good 90% of them are in some state of dying or dead. At least as a city/sidewalk tree. I'm sure they do better in the woods. Is it similar in Long Beach?

Indeed many I see around the neighborhood have dead limbs.

By far the worst tree though is the Norway Maple. If there's a tree that looks like crap odds are it's a Norway Maple. I would say a good 90% of them are in some state of dying or dead. At least as a city/sidewalk tree. I'm sure they do better in the woods. Is it similar in Long Beach?

Norway maples also have a blight. They were planted like crazy in the 50's/60s because they are pollution tolerant. The problem is they die very slowly which accounts for their crappy experience. There was a huge one in front of my parents house in Wantagh that lost its top in Gloria, (when I really got into weather) That sucker died a slow death and actually rotted inside out until it went down during 3/10. Long Beach is the land of the London Plane Tree. (often confused with the Sycamore.) They are fairly salt and pollution tolerant hence there prevalence on barrier islands. They are actually all over NYC too.

Norway maples also have a blight. They were planted like crazy in the 50's/60s because they are pollution tolerant. The problem is they die very slowly which accounts for their crappy experience. There was a huge one in front of my parents house in Wantagh that lost its top in Gloria, (when I really got into weather) That sucker died a slow death and actually rotted inside out until it went down during 3/10. Long Beach is the land of the London Plane Tree. (often confused with the Sycamore.) They are fairly salt and pollution tolerant hence there prevalence on barrier islands. They are actually all over NYC too.

Yup there's a ton of London Planes around here, almost all of the Bloodgood variety, though other varieties much less common here actually have a better aesthetic appearance. Bloodgoods also shed so many leaves throughout the summer, unlike the other varieties.

I've really gotten into the local trees over the last couple years and have tried to identify as many species as possible, though I've always loved trees ever since I was a little kid.

There's so many Norway Maples in Queens that it pisses me off that they had to be like the one species that looks so bad and dies with regularity.

It does seem that way. We've had optimal conditions the past 3 weeks. Mostly sunny days, cool nights, rain but not an abundance of nor has it been dry. The past few years have had heat in late August/September or flooding rains or both.

As long as we don't get an extended period of above normal temps in early to mid October we should have a great foliage display this year.

Noticing some trees starting to change color in the Edison area. This is the earliest I've seen it change in awhile. Are we ahead of schedule alittle bit?

Archived