joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 8th/9th Severe Thread

andyhb

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The area of storms over Western PA is developing faster than the 6z NAM indicated.

We'll have to monitor this as an earlier arrival of the line would bring the storms in

with more instability available.

There is convection popping over Southern NJ too now. We'll just see how this comes together today.

There is convection popping over Southern NJ too now. We'll just see how this comes together today.

as stated earlier, areas northwest of nyc and up north stand the best chance of seeing severe weather. coastal areas wil likely see the storms weaken well below severe criteria. i highly doubt us coastal folks will see very much in the way of thunderstorms period.

Not sure where this talk of NWS Upton being ho-hum about the potential

This is an excerpt from their update from 90 minutes ago

A STRONG SOUTHERLY FLOW OUT AHEAD OF THE FRONT WILL ADVECT PLENTY OF

MOIST AIR IN THE LOWER LEVELS AND AT THE SFC. WITH COOLING

ALOFT...AVAILABLE CAPE WILL INCREASE THROUGH THE DAY...WITH NAM MORE

ROBUST WITH FORECAST CAPE VALUES...MODERATE TO STRONG...AS

COMPARED TO GFS.

DO EXPECT A FEW SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS TO DEVELOP AHEAD OF THE

FRONT...BUT THE MAIN ACTIVITY TO WATCH WILL BE WITH A SQUALL LINE

AHEAD OF THE FRONT...THAT APPROACHES FROM THE WEST.

AMPLE LOW LEVEL SHEAR...ESPECIALLY NW OF NYC METRO...COULD RESULT IN

A FEW ROTATING DISCRETE CELLS AHEAD OF AND WITHIN THE SQUALL LINE.

HOWEVER...THE MAIN THREAT WILL BE GUSTY WINDS LATE IN THE DAY AS THE

LINE APPROACHES. THIS DUE TO STRONG WINDS ALOFT...PLENTY OF SHEAR

BUT MAINLY UNIDIRECTIONAL THROUGH MOST OF THE COLUMN.

Seems pretty strongly worded to me.

In the grids as most of the public isnt reading the forecat discussion.

Today A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Breezy, with a south wind 14 to 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tonight Showers and thunderstorms before midnight, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between midnight and 3am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3am. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Low around 65. Southwest wind 10 to 18 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

your right it is, but as you being a red tagger should understand that severe weather probabilities signifigantly drop off as you advance from west of the nyc points east. historically storms have a tough time holding together moving across the island, save for maybe western nassau and the north shore. uptons discussion is spot on stating the potential but gotta say for the most part this threat is for west of the coastal areas as of now i think

In the grids as most of the public isnt reading the forecat discussion.

Today A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Breezy, with a south wind 14 to 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tonight Showers and thunderstorms before midnight, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between midnight and 3am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3am. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Low around 65. Southwest wind 10 to 18 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Thankfully these forums aren't geared to most of the public but more so to people who have at least a little weather knowledge. That discussion wasn't over the top by any means. and their grid forecast has gusty winds in it as it is, which is a mention of severe weather.

your right it is, but as you being a red tagger should understand that severe weather probabilities signifigantly drop off as you advance from west of the nyc points east. historically storms have a tough time holding together moving across the island, save for maybe western nassau and the north shore. uptons discussion is spot on stating the potential but gotta say for the most part this threat is for west of the coastal areas as of now i think

Drop off some sure, not nearly to the magnitude some are mentioning, especially if things are progressing quicker than expected, which looks to be the case currently.

A member of the public sees "gusty winds" and they think it may blow their hat off or dress up. If I didn't know anything about weather and read that before I went to Aunt Virginia's barbecue severe weather potential would be the last thing on my mind.

i think some are gun shy especially after the derecho bust for the eastern areas in june. SPC's forecast was spot on until it got nyc east. just tough to see this being a more legit threat than that. yea we should take this threat seriously still. i mean SPC has some pretty damn good mets working for them and have a high regard for them

i think some are gun shy especially after the derecho bust for the eastern areas in june. SPC's forecast was spot on until it got nyc east. just tough to see this being a more legit threat than that. yea we should take this threat seriously still. i mean SPC has some pretty damn good mets working for them and have a high regard for them

The difference between June and now is that the marine influence is

much less pronounced later in the summer/fall.

We have all seen countless squall lines hit the marine layer in spring and fizzle out.

The solid squall lines (and of course the derecho 9/98) I can remember occurred in the late summer and fall.

I think we do see a solid squall line hold together today at least through western LI.

Archived