• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 8th/9th Severe Thread

andyhb

Looks like Upton thinks the coast won't get many storms due to the marine layer... Are you guys thinking the squall line weakens alot as it approaches the coast....

this always happens it is nothing new at all. upton is safe in saying that, the marine layer always kills storms nyc on east. very rarely do we get storms to move from inland across the island. but who knows were gonna have to wait till tommorow

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it might be a bit of a bad idea to rest everything on the marine layer.

i dont think so being that id say 80% of the storms moving from inland seem to always die out or lose most of there punch one they get from the queens/nassau border on east. upton cant go wrong mentioning that being that it happens much more than not

i dont think so being that id say 80% of the storms moving from inland seem to always die out or lose most of there punch one they get from the queens/nassau border on east. upton cant go wrong mentioning that being that it happens much more than not

This late in the season they usually hold together very well, some of the worst severe weather for the coastal areas has been in September.

0z NAM doesnt look good east of NYC, line collapses pretty quickly as instablity wanes and dynamics lift north...certanitly doesn't look as threatening as earlier model runs. Even in NJ instability never really gets above 1k.

The RAP is beginning to get in range and it says otherwise.

0z NAM doesnt look good east of NYC, line collapses pretty quickly as instablity wanes and dynamics lift north...certanitly doesn't look as threatening as earlier model runs. Even in NJ instability never really gets above 1k.

Other than the rare, insane Labor Day 1998 type event or training heavy rain event like last August a week before Irene, severe events are almost guaranteed to fail east of NYC near the shores. I very rarely follow severe threats/threads for that reason. Bring on winter, which can't be as bad as last winter at least, hopefully.

99% of the time, severe weather is for NJ, interior areas, and NYC, as well as sometimes the North Shore. The marine layer dominates our weather here.

The latest 0z SPC WRF has the squall line falling apart just as it gets to NYC, with Long Island and most of CT barely receiving anything. It's clear that the best risk of severe weather will be to the north and west of the city, the question is how they make it into Long Island/CT. I'm not sure if the line entirely collapses as the WRF shows although I would expect to see weakening once the line gets east of NYC, especially with the marine layer being a concern as well as considering that timing is also less favorable further east with the line likely coming through after at least 8-10 PM.

Cape strugles to get over 1k tomorrow afternoon, we had much better instability today as per the NAM, its even worse on the GFS

Dynamics will compensate for the modest instability, though I am seeing 1250-2000 J/Kg for CAPE values. The best stuff obviously is West of NYC but I don't think NYC is out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree with their outlook they have posted. You don't always need 4000-5000 J/Kg to get substantial severe weather especially in a good dynamic atmosphere.

The areas I would be watching the most are West and Northwest of NYC.

Dynamics will compensate for the modest instability, though I am seeing 1250-2000 J/Kg for CAPE values. The best stuff obviously is West of NYC but I don't think NYC is out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree with their outlook they have posted. You don't always need 4000-5000 J/Kg to get substantial severe weather especially in a good dynamic atmosphere.

The areas I would be watching the most are West and Northwest of NYC.

I agree with what you are seeing for cape. The question than becomes the shear values, 0-1 km shear is substantial, say around 20knts, with 1-6km shear around 40-45knts. 0-1 helicity values at 150-200, all for NYC, with higher amounts just to the west and nw. Don't get locked into cape only. I must admit, I don't know much about the marine layer, I hope it protects NYC from naders. Good luck out there.

You can sense the extreme bearishness in today's event in Upton's morning HWO that only highlights the threat in only two lines of text saying "gusty winds and heavy rain is possible." Translation to your average Joe who have not looked at SPC's moderate risk outlook: Watered-down and run-of-the-mill weak t-storms with perhaps winds gusting up to 30 MPH.

There is absolutely no mention of possible isolated tornadoes, significant damaging winds, large hail or lightening.

The 6z NAM weakens the squall line over NJ. It has the cold front and LLJ coming out, well ahead of the upper-level support. Subsidence behind the front and LLJ, causes the convection to fall apart. Not saying it's correct. But it's something to watch.

Even if the line weakens, there could still be the some gusty winds, with the LLJ, out of ahead of it. If the NAM bufkit is correct about the 50-55kt LLJ, we could see wind gusts as high 45mph, especially over south shore of LI, this evening.

post-187-0-47350000-1347100676_thumb.gif

Archived