amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Severe Weather potential 9/8/12

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I've been out for the past two hours but that FROPA here was extremely tame despite the "heavy" red reflectivities on radar.

There may have been a gust or two in the upper 30s range right before the rain, but all in all, the synoptic winds ahead of the front were more impressive than the actual front.

We were seeing some cranking gusts out of the south all afternoon, and the mountain was getting 50mph+ southerly flow. Then the rain started and it all died down quickly... not even much lightning and thunder with it.

Hope for the strongest and damaging wind..and see what we get

AT 703 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO

INDICATE A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH A HISTORY OF PRODUCING

DOWNED TREES AND POWER LINES. THE LINE STRETCHED FROM NORTHWEST OF

ANTRIM NEW HAMPSHIRE SOUTHWEST TO SWANZEY AND SOUTHWEST TO

GREENFIELD...NORTHAMPTON...WESTFIELD...AND SIMSBURY AND FARMINGTON

CONNECTICUT. THE LINE WAS MOVING TO THE EAST AT 40 MPH.

THE STORMS WILL BE MARCHING ACROSS SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE...

CENTRAL MASSACHUSETTS...AND CENTRAL CONNECTICUT.

Downpouring and gusty winds here in Plymouth, NH. Nothing like the winds I saw when I hiked Mount Osceola at 4300' earlier today. Must've been gusting 50-55.

Edit 7:22...rain is just moderate. Didn't see any lightning but it did pour for 6-7 minutes.

Yeah the winds ahead of the front all afternoon were the real story... lots of boating issues on Lake Champlain and Lake George due to consistent 30-50mph winds out of the south. One of the buoy stations just off Burlington had a 1-minute average of 46mph earlier.

Mountains were getting cranked with 40-60kts in the 3-5k foot range all afternoon.

Mt Mansfield's highest was 49G65 at the station at 3,900ft.

LOL--it's intermingled with reports.

Still getting occassional lightning, but nothing noteworthy.

Settled down to 58/56 with just light rain now. 1.30" in the bucket.

We're up to .6" and should add a couple tenths before all is said and done. Speaking of done, barring something really anomalous our next SNE tracking thread will probably be for a 6-10" Miller B. Wish I could fast forward.

Well I've been out for the past two hours but that FROPA here was extremely tame despite the "heavy" red reflectivities on radar.

There may have been a gust or two in the upper 30s range right before the rain, but all in all, the synoptic winds ahead of the front were more impressive than the actual front.

We were seeing some cranking gusts out of the south all afternoon, and the mountain was getting 50mph+ southerly flow. Then the rain started and it all died down quickly... not even much lightning and thunder with it.

similar to what we saw in Lake George with the worst winds during the day.

Yes, thats why the spc had a 45% hatched and a d2 mod risk. I applaudyou and the few other mets who threw the caution flag but a lot of people were expecting something huge. Cant say most..maybe most mets but not most in general.

Myself, Ryan, and Phil agreed in the best action west. We said this yesterday. S/w moves north away from SNE, jet streak is a little too far nw, and lapse rates blow. Good luck hoping for the line self sustaining due to pure outflow and no help aloft. Winds to 35-40kts were expected.

Archived