joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with all the precip moving in and 850/700mb temps still -3 to -5 or so looks like the higher elevations where BL temps are not an issue should get quite wintry, i'm thinking wildcat may have a nice surprise in the am, especially up high. mt. washington is 19 and light snow so i'm sure the whites will get a nice dose of winter tonite

Had a fair bit of sleet last night before turning over to a chilly rain. Actually accumulated on a few surfaces.

Even though we had some snow squalls the day prior, this would be my first trace of the season...woot!

Great shots too everyone. Trailhead at 2:55am, Jayhawk? Crazy mofo. ;)

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had the pingers. Thought I was seeing things for bit ;)

Maybe we had some sleet last night but I wasn't checking and no trace of anything this morning. But not surprised at you guys in eastern VT.

Intellicast radar which is usually decently accurate showed a lot of blue in the Maine mountains like Rangely and NE. Anyone see any reports of accumulations in GYX CWA?

Maybe we had some sleet last night but I wasn't checking and no trace of anything this morning. But not surprised at you guys in eastern VT.

Intellicast radar which is usually decently accurate showed a lot of blue in the Maine mountains like Rangely and NE. Anyone see any reports of accumulations in GYX CWA?

The rockpile had just under an inch, but we also had a half inch at Pinkham Notch and an inch up in Eustis.

And further north to.......

NOUS41 KCAR 141250

PNSCAR

MEZ001>006-010-011-015>017-029>032-150050-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME

850 AM EDT SUN OCT 14 2012

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24

HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION

IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...CWOP

OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS...FACEBOOK FANS...AND MEDIA FOR THESE

REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT

WEATHER.GOV/CARIBOU

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

MAINE

...PISCATAQUIS COUNTY...

KINGSBURY 2.5 821 AM 10/14

$$

OKULSKI

NOUS41 KGYX 141118

PNSGYX

MEZ007>009-012>014-018>028-NHZ001>010-013-014-180235--142318-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

718 AM EDT SUN OCT 14 2012

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24

HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION

IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN

SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE

ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/GRAY

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

MAINE

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...

EUSTIS 1.0 700 AM 10/14

WILTON 1.0 716 AM 10/14

NEW HAMPSHIRE

...COOS COUNTY...

PINKHAM NOTCH 0.5 540 AM 10/14

And MaineJayHawk you are crazier than I am buddy...25 miles in a day starting at 3am hiking through the mountains is flat out awesome!

There is nothing like early morning in the mountains. That's what I love about being at work at 445am all winter, mountain sunrises!

Yeah, pretty crazy. I had to get up at 12:40. Who does that?? lol

Anyway, it was completely worth it - the views were magnificent. The pictures just don't do it justice. This was the sort of hike I had in mind back during those hazy August days when I was bitching about the low visibility. Truth about mountain sunrises, too. Most pics I see are from midday - the warm glow of early morning really adds another dimension. You're fortunate to experience this nearly every day.

Yeah, pretty crazy. I had to get up at 12:40. Who does that?? lol

Anyway, it was completely worth it - the views were magnificent. The pictures just don't do it justice. This was the sort of hike I had in mind back during those hazy August days when I was bitching about the low visibility. Truth about mountain sunrises, too. Most pics I see are from midday - the warm glow of early morning really adds another dimension. You're fortunate to experience this nearly every day.

I love that you had to wake up at midnight lol...that's so hard core for a hike. A true "alpine start" like the mountaineers write about when summiting big peaks. They always start at 3am in order to have enough time to summit and return before afternoon heat/sun brings wet avalanches and or electrical storms.

Almost ended up hiking in the dark yesterday lol. We went hiking around Waterille Valley, leaving around 12pm from Plymouth. We started hiking the Sandwich mountain loop right off of I89 about 1245pm and we got to the peak we were trying to get to at 4:05...due to where the trail breaks off and going way farther then necessary. Anyway...we started hiking down about 4:15 and got back at 6:15 just as it was getting dark. It was an awesome hike though. Mid/upper 30s at the top...some of the shadier areas still had ice on the rocks and some small puddles were frozen. It was an awesome day for a hike...but it was nothing compared to Eric's hike. Still...saw the first snow of the season as there was a coating up at above about 3200'. Fun day.

1C5408E1-08A4-4D26-9B60-A69FD3283BA9-1805-00000147A49D1940.jpg

830CCE7E-07AB-41D8-BBE1-7DB179271902-1805-000001478A32D3C6.jpg

Ahh yes that's what I was missing. Even though it was enough to turn car tops and hoods white at times, we still had small empty spaces between grauple and flakes. I don't think I saw any surface COMPLETELY covered solid so I'll stick with a trace.

J.Spin's post got me thinking about it and Although you could probably have measured a tenth or two at times, there was also parts of the underlying surface showing. That's a tough call...but if you are extremely diligent about it like JSpin and measure every last bit of frozen, yesterday's showers/squalls were right on the fence.

Yeah, these types of precipitation events are sort of a judgment call in my opinion. Short of wind issues, which thankfully aren’t generally a concern at our location, I find that the most challenging measurement situations arise from minimal storms of graupel and large upslope-style or wet aggregate flakes. I think that Dendrite’s approach of looking for complete surface coverage is a fairly logical one, and while I find that that can work well in the case of smaller flakes below a few tenths of an inch in diameter, it’s tough with other events that feature more “atypical” shapes and sizes of frozen precipitation. Large flakes often accumulate irregularly, such that there can be areas where the snow has stacked up to a ½ inch or even an inch in depth, while there are still parts of the underlying surface that are visible. When 5% of the snowboard remains uncovered, but the remaining 95% of the board is full of huge mounds of upslope flakes approaching an inch in depth, deciding what to report can be a challenge. With the rolling nature of graupel, the accumulation can often be in the form of clumps depending on the texture of the collection surface or whether or not there is any wind – this may result in depths of a few tenths of an inch, without complete coverage of the snowboard. Especially in the case of graupel, determining “complete” coverage of the surface is somewhat arbitrary (i.e. like you asked PF, “how small does the space between graupel pellets need to be before one considers it full coverage”). Trying to avoid that arbitrary stuff, I’ve always taken the approach of setting the standard as whether or not the accumulation breaks the 0.1” depth plane on the defined 2’ x 2’ surface of the snowboard. This is one place where an elevated board provides an advantage, since one can easily set their eye level with the plane of the board and scan across with a tenth of an inch ruler to see if anything breaks the 0.1” barrier. There’s no question that this is a more liberal approach than waiting for full board coverage when it comes to these marginal accumulation events. I try to err on the side of catching every “accumulating” event that I can as you mentioned PF, especially since I know I miss many of these marginal events because I’m not at home (Friday was a great example, since I would typically have been at work at that hour and never would have been able to document the accumulation). Since people have mentioned the appearance of sleet this morning, I should mention that I’ve found sleet a lot easier to deal with in terms of these “atypical” frozen precipitation types. The sleet pellets themselves are generally well under 0.1” in diameter, so by the time the 0.1” barrier is broken, the snowboard is typically well covered with a nice even coating.

Almost ended up hiking in the dark yesterday lol. We went hiking around Waterille Valley, leaving around 12pm from Plymouth. We started hiking the Sandwich mountain loop right off of I89 about 1245pm and we got to the peak we were trying to get to at 4:05...due to where the trail breaks off and going way farther then necessary. Anyway...we started hiking down about 4:15 and got back at 6:15 just as it was getting dark. It was an awesome hike though. Mid/upper 30s at the top...some of the shadier areas still had ice on the rocks and some small puddles were frozen. It was an awesome day for a hike...but it was nothing compared to Eric's hike. Still...saw the first snow of the season as there was a coating up at above about 3200'. Fun day.

1C5408E1-08A4-4D26-9B60-A69FD3283BA9-1805-00000147A49D1940.jpg

830CCE7E-07AB-41D8-BBE1-7DB179271902-1805-000001478A32D3C6.jpg

Nice pics! Yesterday certainly was a CoC Five-Sun LL-icious day to be in the woods - was nice to feel the crunch of snow underfoot. You oughtta invest in a $15 headlamp just in case of situations you found yourself in. Days are getting mighty short.

Nice pics! Yesterday certainly was a CoC Five-Sun LL-icious day to be in the woods - was nice to feel the crunch of snow underfoot. You oughtta invest in a $15 headlamp just in case of situations you found yourself in. Days are getting mighty short.

Yeah... no better investment than a headlamp. You never know when you'll need one and they aren't that expense. Actually I use mine lot for things around the house (like fixing a leaky pipe under the sink). Its just like a flashlight attached to your head, lol.

Some friends who night ski in the trees, use headlamps that have the same power as a car's headlights on the "bright" setting... lol, they need to carry the battery in their backpack but on Mansfield you can probably see it from Burlington, haha.

Sweet photos WeatherMA and glad you found some snow :) Welcome to NNE.

50F outside at 750ft...and its also 50F at 4,000ft. 48F at 1,550ft.

Very cool to see the different layers of temperatures represented by different layers of clouds... low fog, then a thin cloud deck at like 2,500ft (probably the top of the inversion), then another opening before you hit a more serious cloud layer at like 4,000ft.

In seeing some hiking pics in this thread, I thought I'd post a couple of mine too...I hiked to a section of Franconia Ridge that just sticks its head above treeline on Friday Oct 12. It was pretty wild up there...winds were rolling at 30 mph with a temp in the low 20s. Min wind chill I got on the kestrel was -2. BURR!!! It helped lay out a dramatic scene.

69017_800640193917_2128294080_n.jpg

404640_800641171957_2057604562_n.jpg

424693_800641586127_133327799_n.jpg

577405_800641606087_565569310_n.jpg

486764_800641805687_1951639830_n.jpg

643979_800641890517_186088490_n.jpg

559524_800642070157_616495821_n.jpg

47971_800642115067_1678942846_n.jpg

486806_800642234827_1351179786_n.jpg

And how about a little fall to end it....

525935_800642274747_474400953_n.jpg

Great pictures everyone. The wife and I were up around the Presidentials this weekend and we were lazy and didn't hike up to the snow but it was clearly there. We stopped on a lookout on NH 118 where it was snowing on Friday. The view there was as good or (I think) better than any on the Kanc.

I grabbed this shot of the northern Presidentials on the way home Saturday. 302 was crowded with peeps pulling over.

post-254-0-20641600-1350300273_thumb.jpg

Archived