Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alpha where are you again?

Still flurrying out. Like softly falling flurries and real flakes. We must've mixed down some real cold air or upslope is cooling the atmosphere because we shouldn't be getting these lazy upslope style flakes at 40F.

I can't wait for colder surface temps because these are the days that fly under the radar and lead to a couple inches of fluff.

Madison County

Were in the higher elevations to the south/east of Syracuse.

Snow showers being reported to my twitter page in

Lyndonville VT

Sheffield VT

Wheelock VT

Walden VT

West Burke VT

Westmore VT

and many other locations. Radar clearly shows snow showers throughout the North Country of Vermont, Northern New Hampshire and the Western Maine Mountains. I always love this time of year with the first snows.

Alpha where are you again?

Still flurrying out. Like softly falling flurries and real flakes. We must've mixed down some real cold air or upslope is cooling the atmosphere because we shouldn't be getting these lazy upslope style flakes at 40F.

I can't wait for colder surface temps because these are the days that fly under the radar and lead to a couple inches of fluff.

It happens every fall when the lapse rates are steep and the atmosphere is unstable, typically behind a cold front. You can get flakes with temperatures well into the 40s.

Just had a 100% graupel shower. First frozen of the season!

Congrats! Lot of us seeing the first frozen down in the inhabited elevations...Oct 12 is pretty early. I am still amazed that I've seen several straight up snow showers after grauple for the first half of the day.

Two weeks ago it was September...now it's precipitating winter style and there aren't many leaves left. Quite a change in two weeks.

You think they'll close Smuggler's Notch, at least for the night?

Hard to say...they will for even an inch of snow. Obviously nothing is accumulating down under 1000ft except for about 30 seconds during the heaviest squalls that whiten the car tops then melt. But the mountain has been obscured in snow all afternoon so the top of the pass may get accums.

Dry air has got to shut this off at some point...but if not, the cellular upslope may organize a bit more at night and that's when accums would happen.

Can watch the showers run across the valley all day. Graupel/pellets until the last one went through, wispy flakes too PF!

Sure beats the Fo drizzle :)

Man I love this. No other season transition has so much excitement IMO.

Gonna be a brisk one in the tree stand tomorrow AM

IMG_3113.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. Crazy to get so excited over a few flakes that don't stick and would melt tomorrow if they did. But I can't help it. It's one of the reasons why I love living here.

Zone forecast has a dusting to 2" in it for tomorrow night...

Saturday Night

Cloudy. Rain or snow likely...mainly after midnight. Total snow accumulation a dusting to 2 inches possible. Lows in the mid 30s. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

AFD: Model soundings suggest there may be a brief period of snow or mixed precipitation at the onset of the event...but warming aloft will result in any mix or snow changing over to just rain. Any snow or mix is most likely to occur over north central or northeast Vermont...where a trace to perhaps an inch of snow may fall.

35/24 at Plymouth. Should be below freezing for the first time this fall by 11pm or so.

1P1 will probably beat Boyd by at least 5F tomorrow AM.

Winds are beginning to wane here. It goes 0-1mph for 5 minutes and then we get a few minutes of 3-5mph to keep it a bit mixed. 33.7F at 2m, but the ground skin temp is 31F.

Archived