• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Central PA thread - Spring-like weather now, but...

Look at radar: http://radar.weather...s/full_loop.php

Note that heavy band of rain down over mouth of Chesapeake/SE MD/S DE. Wow. Just sitting there.

Yep - been noticing that too.

well, i'm about as prepared as i can be, minus i have to go get 2 more cases of beer today and i'm still making ice, but as ready as ready can be/

I figure maybe go out for one more bottle Tequila (good stuff does not require ice) and maybe a bit more gas.

All the best to you both.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grid forecast.

Mine:

.MONDAY...RAIN. VERY WINDY WITH HIGHS IN THE LOWER 50S. NORTH WINDS

20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH...INCREASING TO 30 TO 40 MPH

WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF RAIN NEAR

100 PERCENT.

.MONDAY NIGHT...RAIN. VERY WINDY WITH LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S.

NORTHEAST WINDS 35 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 65 MPH. CHANCE OF

RAIN NEAR 100 PERCENT.

.TUESDAY...RAIN. STRONG WINDS WITH HIGHS IN THE MID 40S. EAST WINDS

35 TO 45 MPH...BECOMING SOUTHEAST 30 TO 40 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.

GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH. CHANCE OF RAIN NEAR 100 PERCENT.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...PERIODS OF RAIN AND SNOW IN THE EVENING...THEN

SHOWERS LIKELY AFTER MIDNIGHT. LITTLE OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. VERY

WINDY WITH LOWS IN THE UPPER 30S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

What are everyone's plans regarding work tomorrow?

Still trying to decide what I'm going to do.

Schools are guaranteed to be closed.

I am 50-50 on trying a few hours early but I WILL BE home no later than noon. If the agencies say stay off the roads, I will heed that request.

Before the showers, 6z NAM QPF doesn't reach 3.00". GFS a little above.

Yeah, basically nobody is in rainfall that will be terribly excessive at this point.

again everyone really needs to not pay attention to what model qpf output is. These models are not designed to handle tropical features very well. The amount of moisture involved with this system has to potential to surpass those numbers easily. Looking at those maps and thinking 2-3" of rain is not bad I will be ok is not a good way to look at this storm. Unfortunately public who do not understand how serious this is will think the maps they see do not look like much rain and ignore the "locally 10"+" statements.

again everyone really needs to not pay attention to what model qpf output is. These models are not designed to handle tropical features very well. The amount of moisture involved with this system has to potential to surpass those numbers easily. Looking at those maps and thinking 2-3" of rain is not bad I will be ok is not a good way to look at this storm. Unfortunately public who do not understand how serious this is will think the maps they see do not look like much rain and ignore the "locally 10"+" statements.

SW side of the storm, from what I was told by forky, may have an intense rain band.

Schools are guaranteed to be closed.

I am 50-50 on trying a few hours early but I WILL BE home no later than noon. If the agencies say stay off the roads, I will heed that request.

At this point, I'm thinking about going in really early so I'm finished around noon. I started this job about a month ago and don't exactly have a ton of time to take off. Additionally, it's down in Cockeysville, MD, so there is a 1.5-2 hour commute down 83 involved.

With any luck, they'll close the plant and my decision will be made for me.

SW side of the storm, from what I was told by forky, may have an intense rain band.

Jamie I seen that mentioned somewhere too. "MA discussion" ??

I never hardly watch the TWC....but they have had pretty good information on this event.

Dr. Steve Martin also seems to think, that this storm may be stronger than what the models are predicting.

Just getting some last minute things done today.

Not so sure how long we will have internet or how long the site will stay up.

But everyone be safe!!!!!

Jamie I seen that mentioned somewhere too. "MA discussion" ??

I never hardly watch the TWC....but they have had pretty good information on this event.

Dr. Steve Martin also seems to think, that this storm may be stronger than what the models are predicting.

Just getting some last minute things done today.

Not so sure how long we will have internet or how long the site will stay up.

But everyone be safe!!!!!

Yep, that's where, the MA discussion.

OK everyone I made a PA forecast contest thread: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/37507-pa-prediction-thread-for-sandy/

So what's something reasonable to expect for State College? Right now I'm thinking 3-6" of rain, sustained 30-40 mph winds, and peak gusts to 60-65 mph.

Sounds about right. This is not like our typical High Wind event either. Usually we are sustained maybe 20-25 and we get many 50mph gust and maybe like 2-3 65mph gust. This will be gust to 65 many many times over 18hrs.

horst is saying 30-45 mpg sustained, 60+ gusts, 3-6" of rain (isolated 8"+) and isolated f0-f1 TOR threat.

The next few days are gonna be interesting.

Pressure has been falling steadily since mid-morning and wind has picked up, although the increase in wind could just be from normal daytime convection.

Squared away the PWS this morning as it has been inop for the past month while I was troubleshooting PC issues. Live data can be viewed from the link in my sig.

Off topic, but perhaps related, squirrels are going NUTS (pun not intended) in my backyard. I can see 7 right now in various states of squirreliness. Is there a link between animal behavior and acute weather events?

WIDESPREAD RAINS OF 3-5" WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS IN THE 6-10"

RANGE ARE EXPECTED. THIS WILL BE SUFFICIENT TO CAUSE AT LEAST

MINOR FLOODING ON MANY STREAMS AND CREEKS...AND LOW LYING AREAS.

LARGER RIVERS WILL BE SLOWER TO RESPOND LATER IN THE WEEK.

THIS IS ONE OF THOSE RARE CASES WHEN WE COULD SEE SUSTAINED WINDS

OF 35 MPH OR GREATER AS THE INTENSE CYCLONE MOVES OVER THE

REGION. BEST CHANCE FOR THIS WOULD BE OVER SERN ZONES WITH

CHANCES DIMINISHING THE FURTHER WEST INTO THE FCST AREA WE

GO...DUE TO THE STORM BEGINNING TO WEAKEN AFTER LANDFALL. WIND

GUSTS WILL STILL BE STRONG HOWEVER AS THE STORM TAKES LONGER TO

WIND DOWN ALOFT...AND WE MIX THE VERY STRONG WINDS DOWN DUE TO

MECHANICAL MIXING. 850 WINDS IN THE GFS ARE PROGGED AS HIGH AS

100KTS WITH SPEEDS IN THE OTHER MODELS NOT TOO MUCH LOWER THAN

THAT. THIS SHOULD EQUATE TO A WIDESPREAD WIND STORM WITH THE

LIKELIHOOD OF NUMEROUS POWER OUTAGES POSSIBLY AFFECTING MILLIONS

OF PEOPLE.