• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
New England Severe weather thread number ...I think XI ?

OSUmetstud

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was reading through some MCV literature over the weekend (a lot of the BAMEX stuff is great) but I'm still not sure of the physical process that caused us to develop a tight MCV within a broader MCV. Was what spun up that we watched on radar over CT partially a reflection of a strong meso low developing in the boundary layer that tightened up once it moved inland (frictional effects)? If you know any good papers shoot me a link.

I also enjoyed the BAMEX stuff but I don't know of anything in regards to what you're requesting here. It seems like the typical processes we know about, horizontal vorticity along temperature gradients, arching vortex lines etc., apply to almost all circulations from tornadoes up to mesolows. If I come across something that gets specifically on what your asking about, I will post a link.

Wonder if some folks see some decent storms tonight. Models peg some instability to move across much of SNE..Maybe it gets to the coast by daybreak?

I actually could see some storms around tonight, especially across the coastal areas. Can't rule out a strong or severe cell either with hail as a threat.

Wonder if some folks see some decent storms tonight. Models peg some instability to move across much of SNE..Maybe it gets to the coast by daybreak?

We need some damage soon; otherwise the cat. 3 hurricane landfall in September will end up taking everything out at once, that wouldn't be good.

There could be some pretty active weather tomorrow night as the S/W digs in. Might see activity redevelop across central and ern areas again.

Agreed.

Pretty potent s/w associated with the sharp trough with temps cooling aloft in the mid levels all day and night. Some decent shear as well. Also, dewpoints will be quite high...which we don't typically see in these cold pool aloft setups. Anyways with temps cooling aloft combined with ample low-level moisture could lead to instability remaining steady after sunset or perhaps the atmosphere becoming even a tad more unstable.

Best thunder/lightning all season at KPIT. Started around 4:00a.m., it's since moved to the east (all be the rain that is). Had at least three hits in what must be a 1/4 radius. Lots of ozone (??) smell in the air after at leaste one of them. Once things calm down and it lightens, I'll go to see if I can spot any damage. Power stayed on so much have been trees that took them.

Look out Central/eastern areas. Good stuff incoming.

I know you were asking Wiz but I can comment in my neck of the woods - we've had some decent strikes here. One was fairly close and I suspect it hit the tower on top of the hill behind my house.

Good strikes that don't cause damage or injury are always good.

Really not all that much where I am. A flash every few minutes or so.

Makes me nervous though after seeing that house hit :lol:

What house? With the close strikes here last night, I had the image of the Rowe Elementary School burning down in my mind.

Archived