Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
August 2012 General Discussion

Chicago WX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I have yet to see this Spring/Summer is a t'storm with a decent shelf cloud.

It would be nice if just one can come through here.

Saw probably the best shelf cloud I've ever seen with a random, sub-severe line of storms that moved though here on 7-27. Caught me totally off guard.

Unfortunately all of the severe weather we've gotten has either been a clustery mess or a night time mcs so the scenic looking storm clouds have been lacking.

Spectacular day with deep blue skies and just a few scattered fair weather cumulus. Made it to 83, but with low humidity. Down to 62 now. DVN already down to 59. Driving around out in the country a short while ago was interesting. The outside temp display on the truck would change quite a bit while going up and down hills.

Some interesting happenings on the eastern edge of this subforum this afternoon...

After the nocturnal MCS pushed through eastern Ohio this morning/early afternoon enough destabilization occurred for some pop-up showers along/ahead of the cold front mid afternoon. With 75-100 J/KG of 0-3km CAPE analyzed ahead of the front and 30-40 kts of effective shear with nearly 90 degrees of turning from the surface through 500mb one of these "showers" developed into a mini-supercell just south of Youngstown.

Although there was absolutely no rotation evident on radar and there was only what appeared to be a moderate rain shower with tops not much higher than 15k feet, CLE recieved a funnel cloud report and put out a TOR for extreme southeastern Trumbull county in northeast Ohio. Despite the lack of any presentation on radar, it appears to be good that CLE took the funnel cloud report seriously and recognized there was enough low level instability and shear for a tornado, as damage reports and even a video of what appears to be a weak tornado on the ground have since come in:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH

549 PM EDT SUN AUG 05 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0235 PM FUNNEL CLOUD GIRARD 41.15N 80.70W

08/05/2012 TRUMBULL OH LAW ENFORCEMENT

ONE OR MORE FUNNEL CLOUDS WERE OBSERVED BY THE PUBLIC IN

GIRARD AND LIBERTY TOWNSHIP. TREES AND BRANCHES WERE

DOWNED IN GIRARD AND LIBERTY TOWNSHIP AND NEAR VIENNA

TOWNSHIP. A STORAGE SHED WAS ROLLED OVER. A TORNADO

TOUCHDOWN IS POSSIBLE OR THE DAMAGE MAY HAVE BEEN FROM

DOWNBURST WINDS IN THE VICINITY OF THE FUNNEL CLOUD.

0245 PM FUNNEL CLOUD HUBBARD 41.16N 80.57W

08/05/2012 TRUMBULL OH LAW ENFORCEMENT

A FUNNEL CLOUD WAS SIGHTED NEAR HUBBARD. AT LEAST 16

TREES WERE DOWNED ON WARNER ROAD. EIGHT PINE TREES WERE

SNAPPED IN HALF. ONE TREE WAS ON A CAR. A TORNADO

TOUCHDOWN IS POSSIBLE OR THE DAMAGE MAY HAVE BEEN CAUSED

BY A DOWNBURST IN THE VICINITY OF THE FUNNEL.

Here is a local news story:

http://www.wkbn.com/...AbL0QAX5fA.cspx

And, for those of you who have facebook, a 30 second video showing the tornado on the ground:

http://www.facebook....v=3812553270536

Here is a link to the warning text and radar:

http://mesonet.agron...0Q-201208051840

Here is what the storm looked like on radar at the time of the funnel cloud sightings:

post-525-0-38526000-1344227382_thumb.gif

Some interesting happenings on the eastern edge of this subforum this afternoon...

Thanks for posting this!! Have a friend who lives in OH who likes the weather who told me about this and I was trying to find out if it was a legit tornado or not! Talk about amazing for that to happen in that little environment! So cool.

Thanks for posting this!! Have a friend who lives in OH who likes the weather who told me about this and I was trying to find out if it was a legit tornado or not! Talk about amazing for that to happen in that little environment! So cool.

No problem. Certainly thought it was a cool little happening.

So far as I can tell this is the first tornado in CLE's CWA this year that hasn't occurred over the lake. Never would have expected one today. Will be interesting to see if this is surveyed at all and what any survey turns up.

What a phenomenal 0Z run both Euro and GFS.. No major heat waves in sight! Other than Tomorrow also looks like no 90's for a while!

LOT on board with the nice and cool wx.. 3(maybe 4 if things work out Thursday) straight days in the 70's next weekend!! Man its been soooo long, will definitely start to feel a little bit like fall late week/weekend!

:wub:

Friday A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 76.

Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 78.

Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 77.

What a phenomenal 0Z run both Euro and GFS.. No major heat waves in sight! Other than Tomorrow also looks like no 90's for a while!

LOT on board with the nice and cool wx.. 3(maybe 4 if things work out Thursday) straight days in the 70's next weekend!! Man its been soooo long, will definitely start to feel a little bit like fall late week/weekend!

:wub:

Friday A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 76.

Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 78.

Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 77.

Yeah, we can come out of hibernation this weekend.

58 beautiful degrees for the low at LAF this morning.

Also, a happy birthday goes out to snowstormcanuck. May this upcoming winter not completely suck in Toronto. :D

Looking at the hourly obs, looks like LAF bounced around between calm and light winds. Maybe just enough to prevent the full cooling potential from being realized.

Archived