• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
August 2012 General Discussion

Chicago WX

A MUCH LARGER WAVE IS FORECAST TO DIVE DOWN INTO THE UPPER MIDWEST AND GREAT LAKES THURSDAY AND FRIDAY...THEN SLOWLY LIFT THROUGH NORTHEAST CANADA (GFS) OR TO THE ATLANTIC COAST ON SATURDAY (EURO). THIS SHOULD PROVIDE A BETTER CHANCE FOR RAIN AND THUNDERSTORMS...ALONG WITH UNSEASONABLY COOL TEMPERATURES (HIGHS IN THE 70S!).

Love it! Time for this heat to go bye bye

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be interesting to see how cool it gets here on Monday morning. Looks like a good radiational cooling setup though maybe less than ideal. Would not be surprised to see low 50s and maybe even some pockets of upper 40s in the typical cooler spots around here.

MLI only got 0.25" there today, while DVN cashed in at 2.45". Saw there was a delayed report of a 80mph wind gust north of here up near Fulton (east of Clinton).

Temps here dropped from near 90 to 68 in less than a half hour. Have since warmed back into the mid 70s once the sun came back out. Looks like quiet weather for awhile now.

High temp occurred this evening...77F ... Tonite shows 55F.

So sick of the heat and humidity, so today was great. Looking forward to prolonged below normal temps, should that ever happen.

Took a window AC unit out today...dropped it about 3ft on the concrete. Plugged it back in and it still works. Guess this Chinese junks does hold up. Now has a nice dent in one side... I had a few choice words when that happened.

Next weekend looks crazy. Probably see widespread 40Fs (at nite)...maybe some 60Fs for highs?

Are we seeing a pattern change here?

That would be Awesome! :D

If those kinds of highs come true, it's safe to say the pattern will have changed. Hopefully rain chances will increase if something is changing.

Edit: With that kind of cool air flowing over the warm lakes, lake effect rain might be possible.

Forgot to post these earlier. Some crappy cell phone shots out the window, so quality sucks. The rain came down so fast that the streets went completely under water. It was kind of weird seeing so much standing water around contrast with the burnt up grass.

20120804142429.jpg

20120804142449.jpg

That is some decent good flooding there.

That is some decent good flooding there.

What's kind of funny in the 2nd pic you can see tall weeds sticking up high above the water on the corner lot where the fire hydrant is. They hadn't mowed in well over a month and other than a few tall weeds that spiked up the rest of the lawn was completely fried.

Should really green up around here in the next few days.

What's kind of funny in the 2nd pic you can see tall weeds sticking up high above the water on the corner lot where the fire hydrant is. They hadn't mowed in well over a month and other than a few tall weeds that spiked up the rest of the lawn was completely fried.

Should really green up around here in the next few days.

Yeah same thing happened here, first rain we got sprouted weeds even though the yard looked like it could have been lit with a match. The second bout of rains greened things back up.

Nah..just the models being models.

Actually this time I am giving this one some credence, the ridge to the West retrogrades some and allows for the troughing to move in, though I do think this is a few degrees cooler than what will verify. I could see the region as a whole having a day in the upper 70s for highs before rebounding into the low 80s.

Storms rolled through my area and yielded a couple of gusts to around 55 MPH. Rain fell in sheets for a time, totalling 0.62". The power was out for four hours and a half here, but my understanding was that the storms did not directly cause the outage.

The high here today (well, yesterday) was 95, the 43rd day this year AOA 90 and the fourth in a row. It may very well have been the last 90-degree-or-higher temperature that I will get to record and experience at home this summer since I leave Illinois for Pennsylvania for grad school on Thursday. (It also may have been the last rain.) But, since I want to see this through, I have identified a WeatherBug station at Geneva Community High School, only a couple of blocks from my current location, whose thermometer reads the same as or perhaps a degree different sometimes from my thermometer. So, using that, I'll keep you all abreast of whether the tally extends beyond 43.

Tonight's forecast looks awesome! Been near steady at 77° here through the noon hour. Dewpoint down to 52°.

Given the time of year and the cooler week ahead Lake Michigan may be hitting it's peak overall temperature right now.

avgtemps-m_1992-2011.gif

Archived