• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2012 General Discussion

Chicago WX

For those of us that despise the heat, I figured one of the leaders of the frigidaire® contingent should start this thread. The previous two summer general monthly threads were started by two of the biggest warm mongers we have in this forum (one despite his preference for heat, being one of the better posters we have...the other, well...)...time to shake it up. :D

Despite all that said above, my analog for August 2012. Mercy for most, delight for some.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coldest August on record...

ha ha ha... just kidding.

Hot and dry... with ragweed for added fun.

My allergies have already been bad enough this summer, I don't think I want to picture how bad they will be as we head through August and September.

I have a feeling the heat will shift west a little more with a few more, but shorter heat waves further east. Hopefully will see a more active "Ring of Fire" pattern for August for the lower lakes and OV.

While I think the heat will be more focused to the central US with less frequent pushes east with time, I wouldn't bet against one or two more episodes of 100 degree heat in Chicago and Detroit

Weve already been the eastern fringe of the heat, note that DTW is "cooler" this month than pretty much everyone west of us at a similar or slightly further north latitude, Chicago, Milwaukee, La Crosse, Minneapolis, etc. So I say let it push even further west!

And Chicagowx, no more 1936 popping up please! I cringe when I think of the all-time low-snow winter of 1936-37! Luckily this summer hasnt really been all that close to 1936 locally anyway :)

Numbers to beat for Indianapolis this August (records since 1871).

Highest average temperature

80.5º in 1936

80.1º in 1983

80.0º in 2007

79.6º in 1995 and 2010

79.4º in 1900

Highest average maximum temperature

91.1º in 1983

91.0º in 1936

90.3º in 2010

90.0º in 2007

89.4º in 1995

Highest average minimum temperature

70.2º in 1900

70.1º in 1872

70.0º in 1918 and 1936

69.9º in 2007

69.7º in 1995

Lowest total precipitation

0.37" in 2010

0.42" in 1897

0.46" in 1884

0.54" in 1889

0.61" in 1893

Most 90º+ days (since 1897)

23 days in 1983

22 days in 2007

21 days in 1936

20 days in 1995

19 days in 1947

Most 100º+ days (since 1897)

3 days in 1936

1 day in 1918 and 1988

For those of us that despise the heat, I figured one of the leaders of the frigidaire® contingent should start this thread. The previous two summer general monthly threads were started by two of the biggest warm mongers we have in this forum (one despite his preference for heat, being one of the better posters we have...the other, well...)...time to shake it up. :D

Despite all that said above, my analog for August 2012. Mercy for most, delight for some.

:hug:

You need optimism. :)

I'm with you. Hopefully it pans out.

Euro ensembles have been pretty good this summer, as they usually are no matter the time of year, and the last couple of runs have kept the real hot stuff to our west through day 10.

I dont claim to be an expert by any means, but just looking at the new 00z ECMWF it looks awful warm by next week, and by the end of next week. Im using the actual EC site to get this data and its showing basically a similar pattern to this last week. Am I the only one seeing this?

I dont claim to be an expert by any means, but just looking at the new 00z ECMWF it looks awful warm by next week, and by the end of next week. Im using the actual EC site to get this data and its showing basically a similar pattern to this last week. Am I the only one seeing this?

No you would be correct, 20C line at 850mb lifts back Northward starting Monday, GFS is much cooler but considering how persistent the pattern has been this summer I would tend to lean warmer and toward the Euro.

Coldest August on record...

ha ha ha... just kidding.

Hot and dry... with ragweed for added fun.

I have a good feeling the departures won't be nearly as bad as they have been in July, still above normal, but I'm confident it won't be as bad. As for the ragweed, I believe rain does tend to help, so I'm hoping we're at least getting into a slightly rainier pattern. We certainly did last week.

I have a good feeling the departures won't be nearly as bad as they have been in July, still above normal, but I'm confident it won't be as bad. As for the ragweed, I believe rain does tend to help, so I'm hoping we're at least getting into a slightly rainier pattern. We certainly did last week.

"Knock on wood", Ragweed hasn't been a issue yet around here. But rain definitely helps mitigate the amount of its pollen floating around.

Last August was wet. Ragweed wasn't too bad, but the mold spores were ridiculous.

---

Edit: I believe the major heat is over with for the Lakes. Maybe some more mid to upper 90s in the next couple weeks for the western OV. This month I predicted most of the region won't be over +3°.

Archived