joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2012 General Discussion

Chicago WX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You get the feeling this will be one of those years where we will be getting bouts of high heat into September. Most of the high heat/drought summers had that.

I remember September 2005 (my freshman year of high school), following the last drought summer up this way, being in the 90's quite frequently. It definitely wouldn't surprise me.

Looks like El-Nino is developing steadily http://www.cpc.ncep....s-fcsts-web.pdf

I dug up this MKX news story from 2009 about what to expect, basically an early start to winter followed by a milder deep winter. Maybe has something to do with the enhanced Pacific ridge driving colder air out of the Arctic early on, which can leave less of a cold dome for arctic outbreaks later in the winter. Might have something to do with the Pacific STJ getting stronger towards deep winter too as the gradient between continental and tropical temperatures increases. A strong STJ would drive warm air masses across the country and cause cyclones which will evacuate cold air out of northern tier states. Good for winter weather in the south but not up here once that's underway. http://www.crh.noaa....=29317&source=2

I remember September 2005 (my freshman year of high school), following the last drought summer up this way, being in the 90's quite frequently. It definitely wouldn't surprise me.

I was thinking about September heat and I remember in high school having gym when it was in the 90's outside and it went on for days. I think it was September 2000 when I was a freshman, and it was ridiculous having to run in the field house. That heat sticks in my mind more then any other late season heat wave.

I figured tonight that the average last 90° high here is September 1st. September 2005, there was a 4 day stretch of 90s, which is impressive for September. September 2000 was quite hot right in the beginning and then it calmed down afterwards.

If we just do the last 5 years, October 2007 and September 2011 are the memorable late season heat waves for me. October 2007 had 90/91/90 on the 6th/7th/8th and September 2011 had 97/98/97 on the 1st/2nd/3rd. Hard to say which one is more impressive. Maybe the October one gets the edge for rarity.

I was thinking about September heat and I remember in high school having gym when it was in the 90's outside and it went on for days. I think it was September 2000 when I was a freshman, and it was ridiculous having to run in the field house. That heat sticks in my mind more then any other late season heat wave.

It was probably September 2000, yes. It was early in the month, around Labor Day. I remember it being near 100 near Decatur, Illinois, because my uncle had a wedding outdoors in that. The funny thing about that heat wave was that it followed a summer that was rather devoid of extreme heat. In fact, at some locations, those September 90's were the only ones that year.

It appears Detroit's on track for yet another top 10 hottest summer. Detroit would have to record an August departure greater than -2.5*F to knock this summer out of the top 10 ranking, which is unlikely.

A top 5 summer is still safely in reach too. Even if August's average was exactly normal (72*F), Detroit's average temperature for the summer would still be 74.4*F, which would tie the average Summer temp of 2012 with 2010 and 2011 (lol), both of which are tied for the 4th hottest summer on record.

That would be 3 top 5 summers in a row, which is absolutely impressive, if not unprecedented (3 top 10 summers in a row alone is impressive).

EDIT: Furthermore, all Detroit needs is to record a +1.4*F departure this August for 2012 to be the hottest summer (average of 74.9*F) on record (surpassing 2005 with 74.8*F).

I will call it now, we will end up with the hottest summer on record for Detroit.

Weak line of showers moving in from the north. Might be an outflow boundary but I'm not sure. The storms approaching La Crosse are getting better organized. CAPE gets lower towards the east though so I'm not getting my hopes up, I'm expecting a weakening stratiform complex if this system reaches Madison.

Well here it is, the morning stratiform rain complex. Rattled my windows enough to wake me up.

post-645-0-87163300-1343906349_thumb.gif

Well here it is, the morning stratiform rain complex. Rattled my windows enough to wake me up.

post-645-0-87163300-1343906349_thumb.gif

I'm seeing the higher clouds from this complex overhead. Is there a gusty outflow boundary heading south?

Low 69° this morning.

I was looking into the short term forecast for Toledo. I saw that the NAM numbers are 95/54 for 21z today, and the GFS has 83/73. Now, the NWS has 92 as the high. What in the world is going on? The NAM is 12 degrees warmer, with a dew point of 19 degrees less?? It would generally appear that Toledo could be 92/60.

Nice to see a cyclone approaching on water vapor this morning. Tomorrow is going to be interesting and then some legitimate cool air the day after tomorrow. Currently in the 50s behind the front in most of Montana, temps in the 40s wedged up against the Rockies. Coldest spot attm is near the border where it's a crisp 41 °F.

Archived