EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
August 2012 General Discussion

Chicago WX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes...do October 1989! I know there was a discussion about it on here a while back. That may well be one of the most anomalous weather events that the area has ever seen.

I agree. I can't think of anything else quite like it.

The general public may have a tough time understanding dual pol. The Oct. '89 storm would be a good event to cover. It wouldn't publish until the last Sunday in Sept., correct? After last year's brutal winter and the record heat this summer, readers may find '89 interesting. I remember it well (I was 31 at the time).

Yes, I won't run until September 30, so it will actually be pretty close to the anniversary. I think it will be a great topic. A lot of people don't remember it for some reason. My parents don't, lol. I'm hoping I can go through the J&C photo archive and find some good art to go with the story.

Interesting to note -- yesterday marked the one year anniversary when 10.5 million, almost 1/3 of Canada's population, went under a tornado watch. An additional 5.216 million people were put under a tornado warning, thanks to blanket warnings... sometimes for 3+ hours. Only three weak tornadoes were confirmed, but it's a violent storm day in Ontario history. 80,000-90,000 lightning strikes occurred that day/night. We were put under tornado watch at 10am many hours before initiation. I think the SREF had 50% tornado probabilities over Southern Ontario.

It was a wild day... just three days after the deadly Goderich F3 tornado. Everyone was on high alert and I think it was the first time I remember with a lot of tornado hype with mass media following.

Summary... (a third F0 tornado was confirmed in Grey County that I never drew on the map).

post-277-0-58298700-1345871721_thumb.png

As far as Isaac is concerned, if that ridge gets as strong as the EURO suggests, we can forget any "appreciable" rains from it, as that will likely rip it to shreds even faster.

Many areas will probably get some decent popcorn tropical downpours, but nothing heavy and widespread.

Extened looks like garbage...hot and hot... Euro says 90Fs stay around through day 7... Sunday looks to be the only "cool" day ...

There is indications of a cool down around and after Labor Day. I dont think this warmth will be as dramatic as your making it sound at least not around here. Like sparty said short work week enjoy it. Mid 80's is not bad.

Edit: Did not realize you had allergies issues this time of year. I have severe allergies in the Spring. No Rain just makes it worse and I work outdoors. This past May/June was the worst I have ever seen it.

With the allergies that are sure to ensue? No, people like us (DLL and myself) have to stay inside with the AC at this time of year if there is this much heat. That's why it's garbage.

Dr visit and prescription.... Or some of the over the counter meds. I too suffer from allergies. Its part of life downwind from the great plains and boreal forests. Arizona is the cure. If ya hate heat stay in WI.

Dr visit and prescription.... Or some of the over the counter meds. I too suffer from allergies. Its part of life downwind from the great plains and boreal forests. Arizona is the cure. If ya hate heat stay in WI.

Don't want to get into an argument regarding allergies, but personally I've tried several OTC medications, and none have worked for very long. My allergies have actually gotten worse throughout my childhood years into adulthood, counter to what I hear many people going through where they outgrow them. Also, since dry weather and wind exacerbate allergies, I don't think Arizona would help. There are still some potential allergens there. Anyways, I figure DLL is in a similar predicament since he mentions not being able to be outside for more than a few minutes without feeling them. Thankfully, mine are not that bad but I can't imagine what it would be like if they were.

My forecast doesn't look too bad starting tomorrow through Wednesday - low 80s and low 60s at night for the most part. Surprisingly the ragweed isn't bothering me today. "knock on wood". I know the situation WisconsinWx is talking about with OTC medications not working fully as you go into the future or even the full length of time stated on the bottle/package. A 24 hour med sometimes only works 15-18 hours on really bad days. - Some meds worked 5 years ago, but don't now.

West coast folks don't have to deal with ragweed - it doesn't exist out there!

Lake breeze today should keep it from getting too hot. Up to 81° now.

Don't want to get into an argument regarding allergies, but personally I've tried several OTC medications, and none have worked for very long. My allergies have actually gotten worse throughout my childhood years into adulthood, counter to what I hear many people going through where they outgrow them. Also, since dry weather and wind exacerbate allergies, I don't think Arizona would help. There are still some potential allergens there. Anyways, I figure DLL is in a similar predicament since he mentions not being able to be outside for more than a few minutes without feeling them. Thankfully, mine are not that bad but I can't imagine what it would be like if they were.

Allergies suck.

Up to 89 degrees at the airport. Today will be the 52nd 90-degree day at the WL coop. Getting close to fourth all-time.

Year # of 90s

1. 1936 64

2. 1934 62

3. 1933 60

4. 1931 53

5. 2012 52

6. 1944 50

7. 1941 49

8. 1913 47

9. 1988 46

9. 1919 46

Clouds may hinder you from tying '31 tomorrow, but it should be close.

Archived