• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
August 2012 General Discussion

Chicago WX

DTW was not warmer than every other station. Ann Arbor was 82, Ypsilanti 83, Adrian 80, and Troy 79. Like many days this summer, the warmer readings were confined to the western parts of SE Michigan. DTW is closer to YIP and ARB than it is to DET. While YIP is often suspiciously high, I don't think anyone would suggest ARB has a warm bias. It often reads 5 to 10 degrees colder than anywhere else in the mornings, and yet it has been running as high or higher than DTW most afternoons.

ARBs thermometer is in a valley which does very tricky things to temps, causing low temps to be ridiculously low and high temps high. Its not even the thermometer thats used in the RTP for Ann Arbor, probably for this reason. Today it was 88F/47F. And there has been much discussion about YIP for a while now. I dont see the point in grasping for the few notorious warm spots which have been this way for a while. The bottom line of my post was not talking about any certain day, but in general. DTWs high temps this spring/summer have been a downright anomaly on several days, and among the highest in SE MI on most days. Theres no way to deny that, period. I have looked at the same RTP from DTX for years, and never before do I recall DTW being so high on so many afternoon temps. Of course it happens sometimes, always will, but this year it is almost every day. The usual UHI lows at DTW and DET as well as any station on the water, and the usual strong radiational cooling spots of DTX and BAX, along with the very unusually high max temps (but with still good radiational cooling lows) at YIP and Troy were always the standouts of the RTP, not afternoon high temps at DTW. Maybe its just some weird anomaly this warm season, idk. But it is there, no debate about it.

Welcome back ytterbium.

:lol:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have to think about that. You'd probably want it relevant to the season, but September is usually rather bland around here.

Yeah, I try keep it within the season, but as you said it's hard during the fall. I was thinking about writing about about the freak Oct. 1989 snowfall. It's my first weather memory (I was almost 2.), so it's a favorite of mine.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/ncepreanal/data/1989/10/reanal_1989102000.gif

Another idea would be to write about the dual-pol upgrade happening at IND in October, but that might be a little dry for a 500-word column.

After a 2-week stretch of gorgeous weather and below normal temps on all but 2 days (those 2 were 0F and +1F), got to 85F today, and after a low of 59F we had a +2F departure. Used my AC in the car for the first time in a few weeks, and not looking forward to the weekends warmth, but cant complain as weve really escaped this month what had been a sizzling summer.

Looks like two days of upper 80s then cooling off into the upper 70s for the next 4 days. If it gets into the 90s at all, I would expect low 90s at best with the reduced daylight. Usually September is blah - agree with that. It can get interesting if tropical remnants can make there way into the region though - like 2008!

FWIW a 12Z Euro type solution would probably be best case scenario in terms of drought busting rains..

Takes a nice tour through the southern plains before heading northeast towards the lakes...

Still wayy out in la-la land though so just something to keep an eye on..

love the new pic.

and the 18z GFS also came west and brings great rains up close to this area. Best southern IL-Hoosierland.

Yeah, I try keep it within the season, but as you said it's hard during the fall. I was thinking about writing about about the freak Oct. 1989 snowfall. It's my first weather memory (I was almost 2.), so it's a favorite of mine.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/ncepreanal/data/1989/10/reanal_1989102000.gif

Another idea would be to write about the dual-pol upgrade happening at IND in October, but that might be a little dry for a 500-word column.

Yes...do October 1989! I know there was a discussion about it on here a while back. That may well be one of the most anomalous weather events that the area has ever seen.

After a 2-week stretch of gorgeous weather and below normal temps on all but 2 days (those 2 were 0F and +1F), got to 85F today, and after a low of 59F we had a +2F departure. Used my AC in the car for the first time in a few weeks, and not looking forward to the weekends warmth, but cant complain as weve really escaped this month what had been a sizzling summer.

Officially, the high was 86*F per the daily climate report.

The thing about this stretch of below normal temps is that it was only seasonably cool (a few days of low 70s, mostly days in the mid-upper 70s), so it didn't have as much on an impact on the overall averages.

It'll be interesting to see if we can still recover to a 1.4*F departure and log the hottest summer on record. It'll also be interesting to see if we can log any more 90*F+ days, and if so, how many. But the good news for the folks who hate the heat is that this will likely be the last of it for the season.

But in any event, it does looks like we have a good chance of putting down our 3rd consecutive top 5 hottest summer on record yet.

http://www.hpc.ncep...._1989102000.gif

The general public may have a tough time understanding dual pol. The Oct. '89 storm would be a good event to cover. It wouldn't publish until the last Sunday in Sept., correct? After last year's brutal winter and the record heat this summer, readers may find '89 interesting. I remember it well (I was 31 at the time).

A snowstorm this October would be like 1000 Christmas mornings to so many of u guys. Esspecially after this warm Summer. Last good Octo snow around here was in 92 I think. Dropped 1-3 inches in northern Oakland and the Irish hills.

On the other hand, we saw what was sacrificed for October's snowmageddon on the east coast last season

On a somewhat unrelated note to most of the themes in this thread, I have been impressed at how well MKX has forecasted the local temps recently. It seems the last few weeks they have almost always been within a couple of degrees, and in fact the last week they have nailed many of the high temps to the degree.

Officially, the high was 86*F per the daily climate report.

The thing about this stretch of below normal temps is that it was only seasonably cool (a few days of low 70s, mostly days in the mid-upper 70s), so it didn't have as much on an impact on the overall averages.

It'll be interesting to see if we can still recover to a 1.4*F departure and log the hottest summer on record. It'll also be interesting to see if we can log any more 90*F+ days, and if so, how many. But the good news for the folks who hate the heat is that this will likely be the last of it for the season.

But in any event, it does looks like we have a good chance of putting down our 3rd consecutive top 5 hottest summer on record yet.

Oops missed that 86, thought it said 85. Yeah it wasnt an outrageous stretch of below normal temps, just consistently below normal (we had departures of -8F, -7F, -5F, and all the rest -4F or less). But thats what made it perfect. I personally would love record cold, but that would probably be accompanied by tons of low clouds and rain which wouldnt make many happy. SE MI got to spend the 2-week heart of August basking in nights in the mid-40s-upper50s and days in the low 70s-low 80s with low humidity, haze-free air, some cloudy periods but plenty of sunshine. For the average joe (non cold or heat mongers) how could you possibly ask for anything better?

If we do somehow hit the warmest summer on record, it will really be telling of the heat in July and late June. Because Ill have to check, but I dont think any of the other hottest summers had such an extended period of seasonably cool weather in any of the 3 months (I could be wrong, I will have to check). I know 1936 and 1988 had a very isolated very cold mornings, but again...will have to do some checking.

On the other hand, we saw what was sacrificed for October's snowmageddon on the east coast last season

October flurries are quite common, but Detroit has only had 14 Octobers since 1880 feature measurable snowfall. Detroits LEAST snowy winter on record (1936-37 with 12.9") began with 0.3" of snow in October. More recently, we set a record for the earliest measurable snowfall on record (0.2" on Oct 12, 2006) only to see winter not show up til mid-January (save for a few days at Decembers opening). Other measurable October snowfalls in 1943 and 1997 led to very depressing winters. And on the flip side, our top 3 snowiest winters all saw measurable snow in October (1880, 1925, 1981), as well as a few other good winters as well. And yes, the remaining October snows were followed by winters that were neither exceedingly good OR bad. Moral of the story....there is ZERO correlation with October snow being a good or bad omen for winter in this area, believe me Ive tried to look for one, and the results are a complete mix.

Yes...do October 1989! I know there was a discussion about it on here a while back. That may well be one of the most anomalous weather events that the area has ever seen.

http://www.easternus...of-the-century/

And a thread about October snowstorms in the Midwest/Lakes: http://www.easternus...ber-snowstorms/

From the second thread, from Wes Junker of our forum and formerly of HPC.

IWX

1989 -- A bizarre snowstorm in central and northern Indiana. Some snowfall totals: Kokomo 10.5", Indianapolis 9.3", South Bend 8.8", Fort Wayne 8.0", Goshen 8.0".

IND

A RECORD OCTOBER SNOWFALL OCCURS FOR THE NORTH AND

CENTRAL PARTS OF THE STATE...AS UP TO 10.5 INCHES FELL IN

KOKOMO. 9.3 INCHES FELL IN INDIANAPOLIS...8.8 INCHES IN

SOUTH BEND...AND 6.4 INCHES IN FORT WAYNE.

I worked a day or two before the storm and put out an 8 inch area of snow for the event. The MIC at Indianapolis called and put me on the speakerphone and asked me what he should tell the mayor. It really made me nervous. I told him that the temps looks just cold enough for snow and that the jet streak pattern supported the ngm model qpf forecast and that he should tell the mayor there would be heavy snow with the potential for up to a foot. I was relieved when the storm actually occurred. The MIC put me in for an AMS award which was very nice on his part. I have fond memories of the storm. It's nice to sometimes hit one, especially such an unusual one.

Oops missed that 86, thought it said 85. Yeah it wasnt an outrageous stretch of below normal temps, just consistently below normal (we had departures of -8F, -7F, -5F, and all the rest -4F or less). But thats what made it perfect. I personally would love record cold, but that would probably be accompanied by tons of low clouds and rain which wouldnt make many happy. SE MI got to spend the 2-week heart of August basking in nights in the mid-40s-upper50s and days in the low 70s-low 80s with low humidity, haze-free air, some cloudy periods but plenty of sunshine. For the average joe (non cold or heat mongers) how could you possibly ask for anything better?

If we do somehow hit the warmest summer on record, it will really be telling of the heat in July and late June. Because Ill have to check, but I dont think any of the other hottest summers had such an extended period of seasonably cool weather in any of the 3 months (I could be wrong, I will have to check). I know 1936 and 1988 had a very isolated very cold mornings, but again...will have to do some checking.

88. Summer ended on Aug 17. Below normal to near norm temps through Sep 1st

October flurries are quite common, but Detroit has only had 14 Octobers since 1880 feature measurable snowfall. Detroits LEAST snowy winter on record (1936-37 with 12.9") began with 0.3" of snow in October. More recently, we set a record for the earliest measurable snowfall on record (0.2" on Oct 12, 2006) only to see winter not show up til mid-January (save for a few days at Decembers opening). Other measurable October snowfalls in 1943 and 1997 led to very depressing winters. And on the flip side, our top 3 snowiest winters all saw measurable snow in October (1880, 1925, 1981), as well as a few other good winters as well. And yes, the remaining October snows were followed by winters that were neither exceedingly good OR bad. Moral of the story....there is ZERO correlation with October snow being a good or bad omen for winter in this area, believe me Ive tried to look for one, and the results are a complete mix.

I'm not saying there's a correlation with a snowy/non-snowy winter and how snow/non-snowy the preceding October is, but I just don't see the big deal with October snowstorms.

I'm not saying there's a correlation with a snowy/non-snowy winter and how snow/non-snowy the preceding October is, but I just don't see the big deal with October snowstorms.

Unless it was snowing at 2"+ per hour rates and adds up to greater than 6", the snow would melt entirely by the next day or two.

Unless it was snowing at 2"+ per hour rates and adds up to greater than 6", the snow would melt entirely by the next day or two.

Kinda like a stat padding April snow. Useless.

ngm - wow. I wonder how it's verification scores would compare to the current models.

"I worked a day or two before the storm and put out an 8 inch area of snow for the event. The MIC at Indianapolis called and put me on the speakerphone and asked me what he should tell the mayor. It really made me nervous. I told him that the temps looks just cold enough for snow and that the jet streak pattern supported the ngm model qpf forecast and that he should tell the mayor there would be heavy snow with the potential for up to a foot. I was relieved when the storm actually occurred. The MIC put me in for an AMS award which was very nice on his part. I have fond memories of the storm. It's nice to sometimes hit one, especially such an unusual one."

Archived