• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
August 2012 General Discussion

Chicago WX

Quite a cool day, especially after the storms earlier. Only 64° right now. High 73° and 0.10" of rain.

Picture of the storms over the lake this morning. Not the best given it was through the windshield and at rush hour! lol

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got a brief heavy shower. We've had more rain from these last couple days of unexpected heavy downpours than we got the entire month of June basically when we had dry cold fronts galore. Weird how things work out that way.

5 soakings since yesterday...one of today's was a good half hr of borderline.moderate rain...should be right around 1.5" for the 2 day total while the airport a few miles east only reporting .50" Wuakegan got hosed also - .10" only while just west of 94 cleaned up.

Hard to believe less than a month ago it was a burnt out wasteland and now the lawns are looking about as good as can be. Now the lakes and rivers are going to take a lot more rain to get them to

normal levels.

Riddle me this... La Crosse is -2.9F for the month...Madison (100 odd miles away as the crow flies) is -.9F... IS Lake Michigan the cause of that, just the placement of the cold air or some other factor (Lake Monona/Mendota)??? Turtle?

Definitely not Lake Michigan, because I'm at -1.58° now for the month. A localized influence by Lake Mendota/Monona sound reasonable.

Riddle me this... La Crosse is -2.9F for the month...Madison (100 odd miles away as the crow flies) is -.9F... IS Lake Michigan the cause of that, just the placement of the cold air or some other factor (Lake Monona/Mendota)??? Turtle?

Definitely not Lake Michigan since it's downstream, nor Lake Mendota since it's too small and not exactly next to the airport. It's just been a little colder in La Crosse, whether that's due to being closer to the cold air source, more cloudiness/rain in the day, or clearer nights could be determined with careful analysis.

Another perfect day... Can't complain about this wx.

Gone through 3 hard drives in 2 years on this Dell.. Warranty still covering it (along with new power supply/new keyboard), but man it sucks to lose stuff... Take it from me ...back your stuff up :)

Time for....(see below picture)

Anyways...

Kinda blown away by DTX temp departure.. Still + 0.1 as of yesterday. With the upcoming return to Summer warmth the odds of seeing a negative departure look slim as we progress forward.

post-5593-0-50041100-1345511018_thumb.pn

Time for....(see below picture)

Anyways...

Kinda blown away by DTX temp departure.. Still + 0.1 as of yesterday. With the upcoming return to Summer warmth the odds of seeing a negative departure look slim as we progress forward.

For august? I'm sitting at -1.3 out this way.

The cooler weather and wind this month really shows how quickly the water temps on the Great Lakes can change. After being in the low to mid 70s in July, Lake Huron is now down to the mid to upper 60s. Southern Lake Michigan was near 80F in July but down to the low 70s now. I don't know what "normal" is for late August but I would think we are pretty close right now.

Back into the roaster for the forseeable future! :thumbsup:

blazing

Today Sunny, with a high near 77. West wind around 5 mph becoming south in the morning.

• Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around 57. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
  • Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 82. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
  • Wednesday Night A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 65. South wind around 5 mph.

Yes, for August.

To be technical. Yesterday's high of 78 @ DTW brought the DPTR to -0.2. Given the progged temps for the rest of the week that number will move into positive territory in a few days and continue to move higher.

The heat island is strong in southern Oakland, I thought the entire state was negative.

Incredible heavy rainfall..crazy stuff going on out there...LOL

Congrats.

I'm getting occasional thunder from that cell you're getting hit with. It's getting gradually darker to the north, but overhead the sun is still out in full force.

It looks like a line may be developing to the WSW.

Back into the roaster for the forseeable future! :thumbsup:

Even @BigJoeBastardi is on board with the heat:

Get the Beach Boys CDs out. Endless summer returns, centered in plains next week..See you in September Summer warmth too a Happening,too
Actually See You in September recorded first by the Tempos, point is Summer wont be through in September this year.

Archived