NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI

247 PM EDT TUE AUG 21 2012

MIC099-212230-

/O.NEW.KDTX.FA.Y.0012.120821T1847Z-120821T2230Z/

/00000.N.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

MACOMB MI-

247 PM EDT TUE AUG 21 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DETROIT/PONTIAC HAS ISSUED AN

* URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOOD ADVISORY FOR...

SOUTHERN MACOMB COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN...

* UNTIL 630 PM EDT

* AT 245 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED

THUNDERSTORMS WITH HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA. DOPPLER

RADAR ESTIMATED THAT SOME LOCATIONS BETWEEN M-59 AND I-696 HAVE

RECEIVED BETWEEN 2 AND 2.5 INCHES OF RAINFALL OVER THE PAST HOUR.

* RUNOFF FROM THIS EXCESSIVE RAINFALL WILL CAUSE MINOR FLOODING TO

OCCUR...ESPECIALLY ALONG SMALL STREAMS AND NEAR LOW WATER

CROSSINGS. SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE MINOR FLOODING

INCLUDE...MOUNT CLEMENS...ST. CLAIR SHORES...WARREN AND STERLING

HEIGHTS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM THIS STORM WILL CAUSE MINOR FLOODING OF SMALL

CREEKS AND STREAMS...URBAN AREAS...HIGHWAYS...STREETS AND UNDERPASSES

AS WELL AS OTHER DRAINAGE AREAS AND LOW LYING SPOTS.

This was at 13 mile and Hoover. It's even worse now.

That is 12 mile and Hayes I recognize the intersection very well.

When I left home it was pitch black outside and there was plenty of CG just to my north, and yet people were walking about as if nothing was happening. Sometimes all you can do is shake your head.

Anything will seem relatively tame compared to what we went through earlier this summer. That said, a prolonged stretch of average to above average...probably numerous +3 to +7 days or something like that...lowest anomalies possibly the farther northeast you go.

Kind of interesting post on NWS Chat out of Indy. After the record heat, they are now experiencing an anomalous string of below normal temps days (12 days and counting):

"The last streak of 12 or more days of at or below normal temperatures for IND was a 12 day period of Feb. 23 through Mar. 6, 2010 (exactly 12 days). The last streak of more than 12 days of at or below normal temperatures for IND was the 14 day period of Feb. 6-19, 2010. These two together made up a period 26 out of 29 days at or below normal. Other notable recent streaks were 10 days at or below normal Mar. 24-Apr. 2, 2011, and 12 out of 13 days at or below normal Jan. 31-Feb. 11, 2011 (exception was Feb. 6)."

When I left home it was pitch black outside and there was plenty of CG just to my north, and yet people were walking about as if nothing was happening. Sometimes all you can do is shake your head.

Ah, okay. I THINK people got caught off guard...none really expected 3" of rainfall..

Most people know, especially around these parts, the world isn't going to end because of a t'storm or snowstorm (which probably correlates with the very dumbed down mainstream forecasts as well).

Business must continue as usual.

Most people know, especially around these parts, the world isn't going to end because of a t'storm or snowstorm (which probably correlates with the very dumbed down mainstream forecasts as well).

Business must continue as usual.

I am talking about people walking around down 9 Mile and there is non-stop CG just North of there... I am not talking about shutting down the city because of a thunderstorm...

I am talking about people walking around down 9 Mile and there is non-stop CG just North of there... I am not talking about shutting down the city because of a thunderstorm...

I know what you're talking about.

As I said, business must continue as usual. It was a t'storm, the folks you saw have experienced plenty of them and lived to tell about them. Today probably wasn't any different for them.

Extreme weather in which the situation is truly life threatening is already exceedingly rare overall, but that's triple time for t'storms and snowstorms in our region.

In fact, I would bet most folks will wonder what the heck was all the hype about with the 2-3" of rain on the far east side and NW suburbs.

I know what you're talking about.

As I said, business must continue as usual. It was a t'storm, the folks you saw have experienced plenty of them and lived to tell about them. Today probably wasn't any different for them.

Extreme weather in which the situation is truly life threatening is already exceedingly rare overall, but that's triple time for t'storms and snowstorms in our region.

In fact, I would bet most folks will wonder what the heck was all the hype about with the 2-3" of rain on the far east side and NW suburbs.

We clearly aren't talking on the same wavelength here. I am not talking about businesses staying open or any thing like that. I am talking about people walking around outside as if nothing is wrong with a thunderstorm approaching with numerous CG. My point is about public safety and the apparent lack of lightning awareness. I have no idea what you are spouting off about businesses and extreme weather...

Really nice afternoon, mostly sunny 77° before the lake breeze knocked 5° off that. Month to date is -1.80°. No distinguishable signs of tree stress around here. Some lower branches on my conifers died back about 5 weeks ago, but little other impacts on the trees.

Edit: 71.93° for the average temperature this summer so far.

At least what Skilling is saying, a 3 day spell of 90s; for Chicago at least, then another cool down going into early next week. Mentioned if Issac moves into the Gulf later on it could pump up a hot air dome over the OV and lower Lakes if it were to make landfall on the US Gulf Coast.

The heat island is strong in southern Oakland, I thought the entire state was negative.

DTW briefly sneaked to 79F today. High imby was 76F. 11 of the past 13 days have had below-normal departures (the two other days had departues of 0F and +1F). But still, DTWs departure through the 21st is I believe just -0.4F, but as others said that will go up at the end of the week. I honestly cannot explain why almost EVERY day they are warmer than every station, including those in Wayne county. The only 2 things I can think of is thermometer calibration, which per stebo they take very good care at DTW and have backups...and the more likely theory I guess is downsloping (see YIP). I just dont understand why this is a new max-temp-phenomena not experienced until about this spring or so. UHI for low temps has been going on for years though. Down in TOL I think their station is in a rural area, as they radiate very well...their departure is over -2F (and likewise they are over 2F colder than DTW on mean temp this month).

BTW picked up 0.34" of rain in those storms this afternoon. Thunder was LOUD.

August average temps and departures to date in Indiana through the 21st.

North Webster IWX: 68.9º -3.1º

Muncie: 70.1º -2.8º

South Bend: 69.0º -2.8º

Lafayette: 71.3º -2.5º

Fort Wayne: 69.6º -2.3º

Goshen: 68.2º -2.3º

Evansville: 76.0º -1.3º

Bloomington: 72.3º -1.2º

Indianapolis Eagle Creek: 73.2º -1.0º

Indianapolis: 74.6º 0.0º

Shelbyville: 73.5º +0.8º

Terre Haute: 74.4º +1.0º

Maybe a little far out, but something to keep an eye on. From the IWX long term disco this morning:

SHOULD ECMWF BEAR OUT...LATER FCST COULD BECOME INTERESTING WITH FAVOR TOWARDS A

MORE WRN TRACK ASSOCD WITH POST TROPICAL CYLCONE/ISAAC REMNANTS.

Nice opportunity to easy the drought should this happen...

Archived