ski MRG

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conditions

Friday, October 12, 2012

SATURDAY OCTOBER 13, 2012

KILLINGTON SEASON PASS APPRECIATION EVENT

Exclusive to Killington Season Pass and Express Card holders, we will be running two lifts and one trail for Saturday October 13, 2012. Killington Express Card holders will be charged $25 for use of the Express Card. No day tickets will be sold.

If conditions permit, this event will extend into Sunday, October 14, 2012. Operating hours for Sunday will be determined by Saturday evening.

The K-1 Express Gondola and the North Ride Triple Chair will operate from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Skiers and riders will use the Peak Walkway to access the one open trail, Rime.

Rime will be open with advanced terrain only and early season conditions exist. Terrain will not be groomed. Snowmaking will be in progress as temperatures permit. Walking, removing equipment and downloading are all required. There will be no terrain park features.

The K-1 Lodge will be open for guest services and restrooms. The Roaring Brook Umbrella Bars will be open with light fare and drinks.

Ballpark, what does something like that cost them? Thousands? Hundred thousand?

Ehhh hard to say. You need lift operators, ski patrol, base lodge personnel... but my guess is they will do it with mostly year-round salaried staff. And for only two days, with no grooming shifts, my guess would be around 10,000 bucks. 5-10K maybe? I mean I'm really just throwing darts.

Granted if its for pass holders only, and say you sell a couple extra seasons passes at 1,000 dollars each, it could be recovered quite quickly if this gets a few more folks to buy passes.

Successfully sold my son's old 2 snowboards at the WaWa ski swap this weekend. Dropped them off yesterday afternoon and they are already gone. We bought him a newer/larger board and some boots and a bigger helmet.

Hoping my old skis sell as well. Otherwise, they get donated/dumpstered. But they are out of my basement at least.

i was there on saturday? got myself skis and boots...got a coupon for a free lift tix...and then my friends sister gave me two more coupons since her family all has gold passes...so i can ski 3 times for free this year at wawa...now i'm just waiting for snow

Stowe is making snow in the base area right now to test the new guns. Was just up there taking some pics with the Ops guys and these new guns are sick. They are freaking cannons and are having no trouble at 32F with a wet bulb of 27-28F.

Skiers here have no idea how huge the new snowmaking improvements are...it's as marginal as it gets in the low-mid elevation inversion (anyone can make snow at the summit in 20F temps) between 1500-1800ft and those guns are going to town. Our snowmaking capacity also just went through the roof because these guns are self contained. The snowmaking plant is quiet because the compressors are on the gun, and the electricity for the guns running right now is about the same as a couple refrigerators in the base lodge.

Energy efficient guns and the new snowmaking technology is awesome.

CT Ski Area to open today.

Rod Taylor, president of Woodbury Ski Area, is pleased to announce that Woodbury Ski Area will be open Saturday 10/13/2012 (Weather Permitting). Woodbury Ski Area has always been one of the first ski areas to open for the season, and this year we will be opening earlier than ever, with our tentative opening for this Saturday. Woodbury Ski Area is known as the premier tubing park all...

across New England, and this Saturday, for the first time ever, Woodbury Ski Area will have all its activities open at the same time. We will have skiing, snowboarding, summer/winter tubing, zorbing and zip lining!! Woodbury Ski Area is taking charge this winter with our quick opening and some great skiing/snowboarding deals to make Winter sports more affordable!

Sunday river blowing the snow up on t2.

No plans to open yet.

Yeah last night was a great night to test the guns and blow out the mice. Much better than getting towards Nov and finding out something is wrong.

Still need to remind ourselves it is October 13 though...no one would be thinking about opening and staying open. I can't wait to see pics of Killington...it's gotta be rugged.

What is a good age to take children skiing?

I taught quite a few lessons to 3 year olds last winter and pretty much all of them loved it. I actually got a couple 2 YOs where the parents lied about the age to get them into a lesson and even those lessons work out well. Teaching 3YOs was one of my favorite lessons to teach. It's probably harder for the parents when the kids aren't in lessons though than when the kids are ~5ish and can keep up with their parents on the bunny slopes. I only have the kids for 2 hours, parents have to take care of them all day. But if you have the patience or can share the responsibility, go for it.

Most 3 year olds after 1-2 2hr lessons are able to ski independently with supervision without too much assistance. They can turn well and make a wedge to slow down and stop. But they're still fairly slow and will need to be pulled around on the flatter parts. And they don't have the energy or desire to ski all day. A couple hours is usually enough. Maybe sometimes they can come back out after a break.

You also have to be able to pick them up and put them on the chair lift if you're riding a chair, but this isn't usually too hard and a good lift crew will slow the lift down if necessary. Usually kids need to be lifted until ages 6 or 7, but it depends on height and experience. Older than that and they are often able to get on by themselves with some practice usually but you have to watch them of course because they make mistakes.

Older kids 5+ can ski longer and faster than the 3 year olds. You occasionally see 5-6 year olds going down some of the hardest trails skiing quite well, not that I am recommending this. But they definitely have a lot of learning potential by that age especially if they are somewhat 'athletic' already (whatever that means for a 5 year old). And skiing is usually an instant hit with that age crowd, whereas the younger kids it takes a little more effort to get them to enjoy it (like making skiing into a game or a story). A lot depends on personality too of course.

A mountain that is not crowded and has a learning area with a long, consistent, very gentle pitch (just enough to let the kids slide on) is best. FWIW Saddleback (where I work) has the best learning area I've seen and is very affordable and is not usually crowded except on Maine Day ($29 tix).

Ehhh hard to say. You need lift operators, ski patrol, base lodge personnel... but my guess is they will do it with mostly year-round salaried staff. And for only two days, with no grooming shifts, my guess would be around 10,000 bucks. 5-10K maybe? I mean I'm really just throwing darts.

Granted if its for pass holders only, and say you sell a couple extra seasons passes at 1,000 dollars each, it could be recovered quite quickly if this gets a few more folks to buy passes.

Not an unreasonable investment for new management to start mending some of the hard feelings with the regulars.

What is a good age to take children skiing?

My advice is to go to one of those smaller, less croweded places in close to where you live. Mcintyre is a tiny place near me and it's perfect for young kids. Don't bother bringing your toddler to Killington or Stowe until they've had at least a few times on snow. The child's attitude is more important vs. age IMO, if they're able to stay out on the cold for awhile and have interest in learning to ski I think it's a go. Could be 3 years old or 6, probably somewhere in that range anyway.

It was awesome today!!! Blue bird sky, sunshine, Pres Mike standing at the bottom with his team saying hi to everyone as we boarded the Gondi. A cheer went up from the crowd as they started loading. It's a really great experience walking down the walkway from the K1 to the glades chair on opening day morning. There was enough fresh snow to have covered up a layer on all the trees and in the woods. Walking along near the summit and slightly down along a ridge with amazing views along with all the regulars. Seeing all the winter friends on the hill again. Nice!

The trail was well covered. Guns were blazing for the first hour or so. It was wet snow and skied well once it skied in. After a run or two a sweet bump line formed, they turned off the guns and it got really good. I've seen a lot of people saying that it could not have been very good but they are wrong. It was wonderful.

A lot of things got healed up between the mountain and the pass holders today. Everyone is feeling very optimistic. It's a big difference from the recent past where we kept hearing the mountain could not stay open just for pass holders since we don't pay to ski (?).

Lots of happy people at Killington today!! Tomorrow is another passholder only day. Legs are sore but I think we will have to brave the walkway to make some turns again sunday.

It was awesome today!!! Blue bird sky, sunshine, Pres Mike standing at the bottom with his team saying hi to everyone as we boarded the Gondi. A cheer went up from the crowd as they started loading. It's a really great experience walking down the walkway from the K1 to the glades chair on opening day morning. There was enough fresh snow to have covered up a layer on all the trees and in the woods. Walking along near the summit and slightly down along a ridge with amazing views along with all the regulars. Seeing all the winter friends on the hill again. Nice!

The trail was well covered. Guns were blazing for the first hour or so. It was wet snow and skied well once it skied in. After a run or two a sweet bump line formed, they turned off the guns and it got really good. I've seen a lot of people saying that it could not have been very good but they are wrong. It was wonderful.

A lot of things got healed up between the mountain and the pass holders today. Everyone is feeling very optimistic. It's a big difference from the recent past where we kept hearing the mountain could not stay open just for pass holders since we don't pay to ski (?).

Lots of happy people at Killington today!! Tomorrow is another passholder only day. Legs are sore but I think we will have to brave the walkway to make some turns again sunday.

Awesome and great report! I'm jealous. Sounds like a great move from a management stand point... I love stuff like that. It goes a long way with the regulars. Good will is impossible to measure from an economic standpoint, and that sometimes makes it hard to decide what is a good idea (or will pay off in the future) vs. what is a waste. In any business (from ski resorts to Apple to Johnson & Johnson haha) there's always going to be executives that really believe in the power of good will, and those that don't because you can't measure it. This idea seemed to be a great one for Killington.

And I'm extremely jealous of the bolded part up above. I have my winter friends and my summer friends... and no offense to some of my friends, but I really enjoy the winter friends ;) The camaraderie on a mountain is hard to explain, but you're there with your friends through the rainy days and the deep pow days. The regulars that stick it out all year long and you see on those first days of the season as well as the last days. The winter crew are the folks I really trust, too. Wandering the backcountry and woods really brings folks together... if you get hurt they will be the ones that help you get out.

Yeah you gotta have great snowmaking if you're only averaging 167 inches of snow annually at the summit...

They might get alot less snow than most other Northern New England resorts, but they offer impeccable snowmaking and grooming. Their early season conditions are usually alot better than their competitiors in regards to terrain offering and base depths.

I did early season with them in October of 2009 and skied there on the day after opening day and base depths and quality of snow was very good for the time of year, even better than I recall skiing at Killington in October.

Archived